Sponsored

What do you guys think about a two-door R1T

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
The market/demand has pretty much killed the single cab pickup.

A bit off topic, but I can't help myself. Give me a shorter wheelbase Wrangler/Bronco competitor (2 row SUV) that's still streetable, but geared even more for offroad than the current R1 models.

I'd opt for that & a trailer over a smaller pickup all day long.
Which is surprising to me. The whining about this obvious off-road lux/fun pickup not having a work truck bed is bordering on epic. Like dude, where were you when previous gen Rangers got cancelled?
Sponsored

Dohmar

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Skyline R32 GTR, Subaru Forester Turbo SH9
Occupation
IT Professional
If they ever make a 2-door, I expect they would give it a longer bed rather than a shorter wheelbase. Not for me at this point, since I need all the interior space of the R1S for canine and human passengers, but here's what I'm guessing it would look like:
Rivian R1T 2-Door.jpg
This would be hugely popular in Australia. The single cab 'truck' (we call them "Utes" short for Utility Vehicle) is still rocking hard and if as you say, they kept the current length and extended the bed towards the front, it'd be extremely practical as a trades-mans vehicle...

The market/demand has pretty much killed the single cab pickup.

A bit off topic, but I can't help myself. Give me a shorter wheelbase Wrangler/Bronco competitor (2 row SUV) that's still streetable, but geared even more for offroad than the current R1 models.
You'll find the 4 door utes are only purchased by a portion of the tradies here... most of them go for the 2 door (a man and his dog) plus a bigger bed. WRT to payload capacity, Usually one metric tonne (ie the Holden one-tonner's) is the standard for anyone wanting to use them as a decent work vehicle, and with the R1T currently rated for only 800kg, I would hope that removing the rear seats and the associated roof section could get it to that 1000kg mark.

Would add though that if the rivian could be slightly less long, it'd be much easier to park in Oz. Generally our cars have trended towards smaller models and as such, car parking spaces have also shrunk. Parking the R1T is going to be an issue.... with side clearance mostly but at 217cm it'll take up most of the bay from front to rear too.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

If they ever make a 2-door, I expect they would give it a longer bed rather than a shorter wheelbase. Not for me at this point, since I need all the interior space of the R1S for canine and human passengers, but here's what I'm guessing it would look like:
Rivian R1T 2-Door.jpg
It's always nice to have options and a two-door pickup (R½T?) would be great to see, especially if we also had options for bed length. I don't think we'll see these kind of options from Rivian anytime soon, but time will tell.

If we do get some options, I'm guessing it won't include the three-door pictured here. I fancy myself more as a troglodyt than a luddite, in that I don't oppose technology, I just don't always understand it. I'm clueless as to how to "photoshop" anything on my Commodore 63, but I sure admire those who can alter images like the one above. That said, I'm guessing even the best of photoshop skills would make it tough to edit out the view of the passenger-side backdoor still seen through the windshield here.

No offense intended, it just made me laugh when I did a double take and noticed the "extra" window.

I'll climb back into my cave now....

jdhiker23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
It's always nice to have options and a two-door pickup (R½T?) would be great to see, especially if we also had options for bed length. I don't think we'll see these kind of options from Rivian anytime soon, but time will tell.

If we do get some options, I'm guessing it won't include the three-door pictured here. I fancy myself more as a troglodyt than a luddite, in that I don't oppose technology, I just don't always understand it. I'm clueless as to how to "photoshop" anything on my Commodore 63, but I sure admire those who can alter images like the one above. That said, I'm guessing even the best of photoshop skills would make it tough to edit out the view of the passenger-side backdoor still seen through the windshield here.

No offense intended, it just made me laugh when I did a double take and noticed the "extra" window.

I'll climb back into my cave now....
Ha! Sharp eyes and good call @DuckTruck - no offense at all! I was just having fun and your post made me think...

I believe I've stumbled upon the design for the 3-door, asymmetric cab and bed layout that combines all our requests on this forum into a single vehicle - the R1F...

This new R1F is a internet forum designed car that incorporates every opinion and request we've made to Rivian. It seats 3 plus a small dog, has two doors on the passenger side and one on the driver, has a 7ft bed length on the driver side and 4ft on passenger, so you can fit long but narrow items in the back. Front tires are 21's for range, rear are 22's for performance. Upgrade to the rock crawling package and you get a trailer carrying a second R1F with 35" bead lock tires on 16" rims and 100% regenerative braking (nobody needs those big brakes when you are only going 5mph).

R1F Range:
Range on this new model meets everyone's needs. For those who are anxious about the variable range of EV's under different conditions and battery degradation over time, simply enable Predictable Mode and the 220kW pack will activate an automatic power cutoff feature to ensure you always get exactly the same 201.4 miles of range every time, regardless of driving conditions.

For those of you who need extreme range in exchange for passenger and gear capacity, simply pull into your friendly service center to swap out the entire bed and cabin for a 450kW battery with custom drivers seat that has a built-in toilet (market research has indicated this seat is necessary to obtain the full benefit of the battery).

Finally, for those who don't want a single electron to go to waste and want your passengers to be a part of the driving experience, you will be excited to hear the R1F has a eco extreme option package. This package adds roof and hood solar panels and a patented passenger assist seat with bike pedals mechanically coupled to a dual purpose energy recapture and vehicle recovery motor in the front bumper. With only 4 hours of full sun exposure and full speed pedaling by your passenger, you can add up to 3,000 ft of range!

R1F Price:
Pricing for the R1F has been simplified through the introduction of a new exclusive cryptocurrency, the EVcoin. Every R1F vehicle will be sold for exactly 100 EVcoin, regardless of the configuration. No more arguments over the value of an option package - just get what you want for one easy price! Even better, your resale value is guaranteed to stay the same at 100 EVcoin forever! Please do note that because no one else holds EVcoin and no one actually understands how it works, the exchange rate between EVcoin and the currency of your choice will be variable and set at the moment of your transaction.

I'm so glad that the Rivian design team took all the advice and requests from this and other online forums and put it into a single car! I'm sure you will all agree with me that this new R1F is going to be the car that meets everyone's requests and absolutely nobody's needs at the same time! Still waiting to hear about the delivery timeline and how CarPlay is integrated into the entertainment system - maybe others can share what tidbits of information they have heard about those. :idea:

Reed

First Name
Reed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Toyota Tacoma, March/24 Reservation for R2
Occupation
Retired
Bueno, sign me up for that R1F right away. But, shouldn't there be an air filled frame and body design to allow re-sizing on the go? Add pressure to increase the vehicle size, release pressure to shrink it down.

As for the two-seat version of the R1T, that would definitely be a winner for me. I currently drive an extended cab pickup with a canopy. A pickup with the same wheel base as the R1t, longer box and shorter cab checks all the boxes on my wish list.

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Wow @jdhiker23 , that's one heck of a post. You're very creative, incredibly bored, herbally recreating, or some combination therof.

Hilarious! Solid work.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Ha! Sharp eyes and good call @DuckTruck - no offense at all! I was just having fun and your post made me think...

I believe I've stumbled upon the design for the 3-door, asymmetric cab and bed layout that combines all our requests on this forum into a single vehicle - the R1F...

This new R1F is a internet forum designed car that incorporates every opinion and request we've made to Rivian. It seats 3 plus a small dog, has two doors on the passenger side and one on the driver, has a 7ft bed length on the driver side and 4ft on passenger, so you can fit long but narrow items in the back. Front tires are 21's for range, rear are 22's for performance. Upgrade to the rock crawling package and you get a trailer carrying a second R1F with 35" bead lock tires on 16" rims and 100% regenerative braking (nobody needs those big brakes when you are only going 5mph).

R1F Range:
Range on this new model meets everyone's needs. For those who are anxious about the variable range of EV's under different conditions and battery degradation over time, simply enable Predictable Mode and the 220kW pack will activate an automatic power cutoff feature to ensure you always get exactly the same 201.4 miles of range every time, regardless of driving conditions.

For those of you who need extreme range in exchange for passenger and gear capacity, simply pull into your friendly service center to swap out the entire bed and cabin for a 450kW battery with custom drivers seat that has a built-in toilet (market research has indicated this seat is necessary to obtain the full benefit of the battery).

Finally, for those who don't want a single electron to go to waste and want your passengers to be a part of the driving experience, you will be excited to hear the R1F has a eco extreme option package. This package adds roof and hood solar panels and a patented passenger assist seat with bike pedals mechanically coupled to a dual purpose energy recapture and vehicle recovery motor in the front bumper. With only 4 hours of full sun exposure and full speed pedaling by your passenger, you can add up to 3,000 ft of range!

R1F Price:
Pricing for the R1F has been simplified through the introduction of a new exclusive cryptocurrency, the EVcoin. Every R1F vehicle will be sold for exactly 100 EVcoin, regardless of the configuration. No more arguments over the value of an option package - just get what you want for one easy price! Even better, your resale value is guaranteed to stay the same at 100 EVcoin forever! Please do note that because no one else holds EVcoin and no one actually understands how it works, the exchange rate between EVcoin and the currency of your choice will be variable and set at the moment of your transaction.

I'm so glad that the Rivian design team took all the advice and requests from this and other online forums and put it into a single car! I'm sure you will all agree with me that this new R1F is going to be the car that meets everyone's requests and absolutely nobody's needs at the same time! Still waiting to hear about the delivery timeline and how CarPlay is integrated into the entertainment system - maybe others can share what tidbits of information they have heard about those. :idea:
jdhiker23, I LIKE the way you think! Is it true that this "Very Special Edition" will be available only in "RUBE e-GOLDBERG RED"?

jdhiker23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
jdhiker23, I LIKE the way you think! Is it true that this "Very Special Edition" will be available only in "RUBE e-GOLDBERG RED"?
:CWL: yes! There will also be an option to get it triple wrapped with low adhesive vinyl, so when you get tired of the first color, just peel off the first layer and you have a new color!

Mysta

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Polestar 2, Miata ND2 RF
This one may as well be 2 door
Rivian R1T R1S What do you guys think about a two-door R1T 1614563838461

Just.Greg.56

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
01 Dodge Ram, 00 VW Jetta, 05 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Soils Engineer, Construction
Hey all,
First post here....
I'm really interested in these offerings. I have been in a 2 door pick up for the past 25 years, and have a "spare" for heavy hauling.
For me a 2 door, with a full length bed sans a crew cab is what I really need and want to see. IMHO, There is a real need for a truck like that as most of us in the trades need that extra bed length.

I still have to look at a truck and ask "Will it hold a sheet of drywall?" Of course without half the sheet hanging off the tip of the tail gate.
Filling up my diesel Ram is just so painful, but a bi weekly investment. I'm looking at the Fords, but really want to put my money into a competitor that will shove the market away from the establishment.
As a side note, I worked for "those other electric guys in Silicon Valley" they missed the boat completely, and I'm not a fan-boy for their "leader".

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I would buy that latest 2 door version. As long as I have room behind the front seats for a dog, I prefer the smaller footprint.

Diddy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
I still have to look at a truck and ask "Will it hold a sheet of drywall?" Of course without half the sheet hanging off the tip of the tail gate.
With the tailgate down, drywall will lie completely flat across the bed, and have 1 foot overhang past the tailgate. If this acceptable, then you should be all set with the R1T

Just.Greg.56

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Agreed, I forgot my dog. She usually takes the passenger seat anyways.

Just.Greg.56

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
With the tailgate down, drywall will lie completely flat across the bed, and have 1 foot overhang past the tailgate. If this acceptable, then you should be all set with the R1T
That would be doable, still I just like to have the tailgate shut. Just personal preference... still want one of their trucks!

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
This one may as well be 2 door
1614563838461.png
That was a R1S test mule. The R1S skateboard is shorter than the R1T, but the R1S body wasn't ready, so Rivian hacked a R1T to fit on the shorter frame. It's not a "quality" job, from sources I've heard... Literally just a "grab some power tools and let's make something kinda fit so we can test what we actually need to test" kind of thing.
Sponsored