Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

Anyone else thinking of going to Normal to try and encourage unionization?

Better for their workers and an extra $4500 tax rebate if the BBB bill passes as proposed.

Everyone wins!
How is it better for the workers?

All the people in my family love working there.

Zeroemit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XC90 Hybrid
Sacrifice...nothing. Everything is well equipped as is.

Revo

First Name
Revo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
Occupation
Captain

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Can you explain it please? ?
The bill creates a limit based on the "suggested retail price" (aka MSRP) of the vehicle, not the final sale price the consumer pays. The bill also does not define what the "suggested retail price" is, and it will be up to the IRS or the vehicle manufacture to define the MSRP.

For a manufacturer that sells directly to customers (i.e. not through a dealership), I'm not sure there even is a MSRP. Tesla has never used the term "MSRP" on any of its vehicles. Without a definition from the IRS, Rivian could say the MSRP of the R1T is $1 and sell at $90,000. They could also say the MSRP is $67,500 and all the additions like colors, max pack, off-road package, etc., are upgrade options that don't impact the MSRP.

In other words, its way way way too early to adjust your order on the belief that you need to get under some final sale price. The whole premise of this thread is wrong.

We have no idea yet how the "suggested retail price" will be calculated, and whether adding options will increase the "suggested retail price." Manufacturers will likely have a ton of flexibility in setting the "MSRP," and will do so to fit their vehicles under the caps. Otherwise, Congress would not have made the meaningful distinction between "suggested retail price" and the actual sale price in the text of the law.

Here is an earlier post that also captures it:

If the Bill passes the Senate as written (Huge if, for passes and as written). The real question is MSRP definition. I have read that part of the bill - I am not a tax law attorney - and they offer no definition of MSRP in the bill.

If MSRP is defined as the price of the Adventure pack $73,000 or the Explore Pack $67,500, then we should be able to add whatever options we like to the vehicle and still qualify for the $7,500 based on the income qualifications stated - $500,000 Married and $250,000 Single.

It is curious that the truck max price went from $74,000 to $80,000 in the bill. Makes me think it was massaged to include specific vehicles.

As long as Rivian Calls the packages MSRP, we should be good.

PK

Sponsored

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
If it does pass as currently proposed (I'm highly doubting that), I would remove the 20" AT and spare, as I can add them after the fact, and maybe even sell my stock 21" to offset some of the cost. Now if the "MSRP" is based on the base vehicle, I would add them back, and if the orders are delayed more I would consider upgrading to the Adventure package (currently have Explore, Max Pack reserved). I don't NEED anything in the Adventure package, but I would consider adding it for some of the features given more time to save to cover the added costs.

estprft

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIT pre-order
Occupation
beer
Clubs

My ideal R1T costs more than the $80,000 MSRP threshold for the $7,500 tax break. Maybe yours does too?

What are you willing to sacrifice to keep your truck in incentive territory?

If prices climb in the new year to keep up with inflation, what more will you put on the fire for free cash?
I haven't sacrificed anything yet. current config is fully loaded with kitchen kit, roof top tent, full size spare and off-road upgrade. if the tax thing is real, then I would drop kitchen and tent

Revo

First Name
Revo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
Occupation
Captain
The bill creates a limit based on the "suggested retail price" (aka MSRP) of the vehicle, not the final sale price the consumer pays. The bill also does not define what the "suggested retail price" is, and it will be up to the IRS or the vehicle manufacture to define the MSRP.

For a manufacturer that sells directly to customers (i.e. not through a dealership), I'm not sure there even is a MSRP. Tesla has never used the term "MSRP" on any of its vehicles. Without a definition from the IRS, Rivian could say the MSRP of the R1T is $1 and sell at $90,000. They could also say the MSRP is $67,500 and all the additions like colors, max pack, off-road package, etc., are upgrade options that don't impact the MSRP.

In other words, its way way way too early to adjust your order on the belief that you need to get under some final sale price. The whole premise of this thread is wrong.

We have no idea yet how the "suggested retail price" will be calculated, and whether adding options will increase the "suggested retail price." Manufacturers will likely have a ton of flexibility in setting the "MSRP," and will do so to fit their vehicles under the caps. Otherwise, Congress would not have made the meaningful distinction between "suggested retail price" and the actual sale price in the text of the law.

Here is an earlier post that also captures it:
Got what you are saying.
Thank you!
Happy Thanksgiving ???
Revo

ERguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
There are a lot of people here speculating options won't count toward the $80,000 MSRP limit.

Although the bill might not provide detail as to what constitutes MSRP, I wouldn't get your hopes up too much.

Have you guys looked at a new car window sticker lately?

Here is the sticker for my Mach e. As you can see, the options are considered part of the MSRP. Everything installed prior to delivery is factored into the MSRP price.

Why do you think the way MSRP is traditionally defined will suddenly change?
Rivian R1T R1S What are you sacrificing to stay below the $80,000 tax break threshold? Screenshot_20211124-230631

Sponsored

OP
OP
Rivian_Hugh_III

Rivian_Hugh_III

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Infiniti EX35
Fortunately we see that the Rivian gear store is offering nearly all the adventure accessories with free shipping so I leave all that off the table for my truck order. Still keeping the off-road upgrade, spare tire, FE interior and probably Limestone paint for $79,800 total. Anyone got a limbo stick?
So you’re
There are a lot of people here speculating options won't count toward the $80,000 MSRP limit.

Although the bill might not provide detail as to what constitutes MSRP, I wouldn't get your hopes up too much.

Here is the sticker for my Mach e. As you can see, the options are considered part of the MSRP. Everything installed prior to delivery is factored into the MSRP price.

Screenshot_20211124-230631.jpg
This was my assumption as well—that the MSRP will be all-in, including options.

From another thread I believe I’ve heard that California interpreted MSRP for the purposes of their EV incentives to be the base model. Whatever led them to do this, people seem to be betting that the IRS will find their way to the same conclusion.

Assuming for a moment that the tax bill passes as-is regarding EV’s, the big issue is that many of us will purchase our Rivian before the IRS publishes the details of how the incentive will be calculated.

Unless the senate version or the IRS give us more clarity, we may be taking a big risk with nearly $8000 by trusting the incentive will be based on “base.”

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Anyone else thinking of going to Normal to try and encourage unionization?

Better for their workers and an extra $4500 tax rebate if the BBB bill passes as proposed.

Everyone wins!
The union provision won’t pass since Manchin doesn’t like it. Toyota factories in WV.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Screenshot_20211124-230631.jpg
If you look at window stickers from different manufacturers they will all calculate MSRP differently. Some will include destination, others won’t. That is the issue there is no traditional definition of MSRP so interpret what you will.

Obviously though any options you can buy in the gear shop (pretty much everything except colors, tires/wheels, battery) can be purchased separate so no worries adding to MSRP.

BoltEVowner

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
West Georgia, dangerously close to Alabama
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt EUV, Chevy Volt, RAV4, Winnebago, R1T
Occupation
retired physician
If you look at window stickers from different manufacturers they will all calculate MSRP differently. Some will include destination, others won’t. That is the issue there is no traditional definition of MSRP so interpret what you will.

Obviously though any options you can buy in the gear shop (pretty much everything except colors, tires/wheels, battery) can be purchased separate so no worries adding to MSRP.
ALSO...since not taking delivery until spring/summer 2022, plenty of time for the price to go up. None of us preorder holders are guaranteed the initial pricing will stay the same. Have to hope inflation settles down a bit.

I am hoping the base price will be the MSRP that the tax code uses.

jerseyff

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T; mazdaspeed3
Occupation
IT
ALSO...since not taking delivery until spring/summer 2022, plenty of time for the price to go up. None of us preorder holders are guaranteed the initial pricing will stay the same. Have to hope inflation settles down a bit.

I am hoping the base price will be the MSRP that the tax code uses.
Inflation happened...prices went up, but RJ has now brought them back down to original prices for all pre-orders that were in place March 1, 2022 or earlier.
Sponsored