Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Dodge Durango Citadel, 2016 Honda Civic Touri
Occupation
Lodge host, volunteer firefighter
Rebates... shya. :swear:

Where I'm at, the BC government offers a $3,000.00 rebate and the Canadian government another $5,000.00. Only, MSRP is maxed at $55,000.00 and $45,000.00 respectively. So, nuts to that.

Instead, we'll be looking at a tax hit (GST + PST) of around $14,800.00. Something I'm not sure about however, is the BC Luxury Car Tax. Because that's a thing. :angry: It's 10% of MSRP. But I don't know how it interacts with the other dumb taxes.

So, there're a few different approaches you can take on this side of the border. You can just go for it and buy the Rivian you think will make you happiest over the longest period. Because it could be a really, really long time before you want to see that much money fall from your hands that's only paying goverments for the privilege of being able to pay for the vehicle.

Or, you bring your tax girl a bottle Smirnoff and a query, "How can we make this a business expense?"

Or you scale back and buy a Nissan Leaf for a lot less than you thought.

?... ?... ?...

Screw it. You only live once. :fingerscrossed: C'mon Rivian, make me a believer.
Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Yep, what passed the house is $69k SUV, $74k trucks. Taking a base Launch Edition R1T and adding Forest Edge interior bumps it over that limit. :mad:

I'm *REALLY* hoping they determine that color choices don't count toward the MSRP. Because I *REALLY* want Launch Green with Forest Edge interior now. I'm even willing to give up the off-road package (sadly.) Every other thing I want is an "accessory" that won't count to the MSRP.

Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 10.22.15 PM.png

This is directly from the bill as passed, text directly from the US House of Representatives: https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/house-bill/5376/
The BBB that passed the house is $74k for trucks and $69k for SUVs. It can obviously be changed in the senate however they want, but be aware the $80k limit was mentioned but has yet to be added.
I think you're looking at the previous version. The version voted on has 80k
https://www.congress.gov/congressional-record/2021/11/18/house-section/article/H6375-4

The only way i was seemingly able to find the text of the version as passed was from finding the link to it in the list of actions.
https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/house-bill/5376/all-info

Last edited:

ATX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4Runner
I believe there’s an income cap on the write off. Which is unfortunate.

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

It starts phasing out at 250k single/500k joint as currently written. Seems pretty reasonable to me.
Ya if you make over that congratulations I'm sure you've worked hard for it an earned it. But you don't really need any money back if you make that kind of dough.

Sponsored

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
Fortunately we see that the Rivian gear store is offering nearly all the adventure accessories with free shipping so I leave all that off the table for my truck order. Still keeping the off-road upgrade, spare tire, FE interior and probably Limestone paint for $79,800 total. Anyone got a limbo stick?
I've got an R1T sitting right at $79,975. I'll pick up what I left off in the store after I get the truck. Which is the camp kitchen and the tent.

I don't expect Rivian to raise the prices from where they are now for at least the 50k they have back ordered already. If they do raise prices, it'll be for any orders they receive after they announce an increase.
Others have noted that the warranty policy is different if you get the truck with gear from the factory vs the store. Worth it to save a big chunk of money most likely but be sure to inquire about that once you get closer to purchase. I would definitely want that camp kitchen under max coverage…

I’m mostly ignoring the msrp and getting the truck that I want. :p

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Others have noted that the warranty policy is different if you get the truck with gear from the factory vs the store. Worth it to save a big chunk of money most likely but be sure to inquire about that once you get closer to purchase. I would definitely want that camp kitchen under max coverage…

I’m mostly ignoring the msrp and getting the truck that I want. :p
Could afford to buy two camp kitchens aftersale if buying one makes you lose the tax credit.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
The max pack is the thing that puts it over the edge. I plan to use my R1T for occasional towing of our horse trailer up to our cabin and the max pack would make a big difference in those situations. An in general, more range means more convenience on longer trips.

But my 2014 Model S only has around 220 range and I've never had a range issue for normal daily driving so I passed on the max pack to stay under the rebate cap.

nfrank

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Configure the R1T the max pack and explorer package with a color upgrade. Then get your rebate and buy new wheels and accessories later from the adventure store.

Another thing: MSRP is what they're selling the vehicle for with options. I think gov't is likely to pay attention to a base price that can be discerned from the VIN. Remember this thread (link)? The max pack isn't decoded with the VIN. If that VIN scheme still holds true next year, then I don't think the max pack upgrade will change eligibility for the rebate. Just my theory here.

endress14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee, XC 90 recharge
Occupation
TBD
Ya if you make over that congratulations I'm sure you've worked hard for it an earned it. But you don't really need any money back if you make that kind of dough.
a whole lot of people would argue that if you’re buying a Rivian at all you make enough dough that you don’t need any money back. $7500 would go a long ways to provide food/clothing/etc to those less fortunate than you. Just because I make more money doesn’t mean I don’t deserve the same credit for not buying an ICE that others get. That could be forwarded to some good charities in real need.

Sponsored

coshesey

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2023 Rivian R1S
Occupation
Director Home Services
If the Bill passes the Senate as written (Huge if, for passes and as written). The real question is MSRP definition. I have read that part of the bill - I am not a tax law attorney - and they offer no definition of MSRP in the bill.

If MSRP is defined as the price of the Adventure pack $73,000 or the Explore Pack $67,500, then we should be able to add whatever options we like to the vehicle and still qualify for the $7,500 based on the income qualifications stated - $500,000 Married and $250,000 Single.

It is curious that the truck max price went from $74,000 to $80,000 in the bill. Makes me think it was massaged to include specific vehicles.

As long as Rivian Calls the packages MSRP, we should be good.

PK

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
I think you're looking at the previous version. The version voted on has 80k
https://www.congress.gov/congressional-record/2021/11/18/house-section/article/H6375-4

The only way i was seemingly able to find the text of the version as passed was from finding the link to it in the list of actions.
https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/house-bill/5376/all-info
You're correct. This is the text that the House voted on: https://www.congress.gov/117/crec/2021/11/18/167/201/CREC-2021-11-18-pt1-PgH6375-4.pdf

It's the same language as was moved on by the Rules Committee on 11/3/2021. So highlights are:

• $7500 for most real EVs. ($4000 base plus up to $3500 more for larger batteries than base)
  • $80k MSRP cap for SUVs and trucks.
  • $500 extra for "domestic content", which means battery cells made domestically.
  • $4500 extra for "domestic assembly", which means final assembly done in the US by labor under collective bargaining.
  • Income cap of $250k/$500k.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
lol if you're willing to spend 80k on a car but are worried about not getting $7500 in credits...perhaps you should re-evaluate what your budget really is...
I'm so tired of this absolutely ridiculous take. $7500 is still $7500. I can afford an $80k car just fine, but an $80k car with a $7500 tax rebate is a very different purchase than an $80k without it. It's nearly 10% difference in effective price, and could easily mean someone can't take a vacation they were hoping for, or will have to wait another year to renovate their bathroom or kitchen, or ... Lots of things people can do with $7500 that might change their car-buying equation. A car isn't the only thing people buy, you know?

Anybody who makes this comment needs to just get the hell over themselves.

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
Cheapest max pack you can get - $77,500
Add the off-road upgrade - $79,500

But to get that config means ditching the Adventure Package, therefore sacrificing:
- Premium audio (everybody in the family needs)
- Fully adjustable passenger seat (wife really wants)
- Ventilated seats (wife and I really want)

It's possible they'll respond to the tax bill by decoupling some options from the Adventure Package.

*IF* there were a way to piecemeal the premium audio for $2,499 or less, we'd likely go Max Pack, base color, base wheels, no other extras (including ditching the off-road upgrade)...
Just to get the part of the rebate we're eligible for.

We'd be a little sad to not have the seats we want and not have the off-road upgrade, but we could always add 20" wheels later and wrap the truck to get a look we want.

Bumble1978

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Nissan Leaf, 2009 Toyota Prius
Occupation
IT Manager
My ideal R1T costs more than the $80,000 MSRP threshold for the $7,500 tax break. Maybe yours does too?

What are you willing to sacrifice to keep your truck in incentive territory?

If prices climb in the new year to keep up with inflation, what more will you put on the fire for free cash?
Nada, one of the truly fortunate who is all in regardless. Max Pack and accessories that we want are more important than money. We're planning accordingly, but likely not the majority. Would love to get a Tax credit because why not, but not a deal breaker since it's not really feasible based on our wants. Others that have to or want to do the finagling more power to them! ✌❤⚡??
Sponsored

Last edited: