Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Cheapest max pack you can get - $77,500
Add the off-road upgrade - $79,500

But to get that config means ditching the Adventure Package, therefore sacrificing:
- Premium audio (everybody in the family needs)
- Fully adjustable passenger seat (wife really wants)
- Ventilated seats (wife and I really want)

It's possible they'll respond to the tax bill by decoupling some options from the Adventure Package.

*IF* there were a way to piecemeal the premium audio for $2,499 or less, we'd likely go Max Pack, base color, base wheels, no other extras (including ditching the off-road upgrade)...
Just to get the part of the rebate we're eligible for.

We'd be a little sad to not have the seats we want and not have the off-road upgrade, but we could always add 20" wheels later and wrap the truck to get a look we want.
As others have mentioned, Rivian could also software lock the max pack for a smaller nominal fee with an after-market upgrade if they wanted. No reason for us to get too worried about it at this point.
Sponsored

BradSomrak

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜16 Jeep.
Occupation
Atty.
lol if you're willing to spend 80k on a car but are worried about not getting $7500 in credits...perhaps you should re-evaluate what your budget really is...
Iā€™ve really never understood this take. It assumes that, once past a certain monetary/budget threshold, common sense no longer matters. Why would I set fire to $8,000.00, just because I can ā€œaffordā€ to? Whether itā€™s another watch, more money in the kidsā€™ 529, or whatever else I choose to use it for, why would I pass it up, just because?

Now, if someone sees fit to configure their vehicle in a way that pushes them over 80k, that is their choice to make. But I certainly find it logical for others to be interested in saving what amounts to 12-13% off their R1X.

ja_kub_sz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 LR Discovery, 2019 LR Range Rover Velar
I have been written off by our government claiming that I make too much money to deserve any EV tax credit, so canceling my R1T and R1S...
I'm giving up my tax credit to keep my R1T Max Pack.

Let's hope the government gives up on us both... Otherwise hope you're joking about letting the government get the better of you and preventing you from getting an amazing EV adventure truck? I'd still say that Rivian's are worth it even without the credit, but hey I totally get where you're coming from.

Sorry to hear.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I have been written off by our government claiming that I make too much money to deserve any EV tax credit, so canceling my R1T and R1S...
You could just take a pay cut for the next year, no?

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
As others have mentioned, Rivian could also software lock the max pack for a smaller nominal fee with an after-market upgrade if they wanted. No reason for us to get too worried about it at this point.
Yah, I'm also low-key hoping they Tesla the shit out of this... but am not expecting it.

It would be VERY NICE OF THEM to make "Max Pack capable" trucks for a small added cost, with a full unlock to come later...

But by the time Tesla gave people software locked larger batteries, they were a mature manufacturer. They were putting the big battery in every car because the economies of scale mattered more than the raw component cost.

I don't think Rivian (yet) has that flexibility.

I also don't want them to get distracted trying to make that work. Would much rather get my truck sooner. :)

Last edited:

Sponsored

nfrank

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
This bill isn't set up right if people are giving up larger batteries to get a tax credit. With a larger pack people will be more inclined to take their R1T on long trips and leave their second ICE vehicle at home.
It would be best if you can exclude battery upgrades from the cutoff price for the rebate.

Jayhawkeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Software
If the Bill passes the Senate as written (Huge if, for passes and as written). The real question is MSRP definition. I have read that part of the bill - I am not a tax law attorney - and they offer no definition of MSRP in the bill.

If MSRP is defined as the price of the Adventure pack $73,000 or the Explore Pack $67,500, then we should be able to add whatever options we like to the vehicle and still qualify for the $7,500 based on the income qualifications stated - $500,000 Married and $250,000 Single.

It is curious that the truck max price went from $74,000 to $80,000 in the bill. Makes me think it was massaged to include specific vehicles.

As long as Rivian Calls the packages MSRP, we should be good.

PK
This. I think all the 'additions' people are speaking of don't impact the base MSRP.

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
Yah, I'm also low-key hoping they Tesla the shit out of this... but am not expecting it.

It would be VERY NICE OF THEM to make "Max Pack capable" trucks for a small added cost, with a full unlock to come later...

But by the time Tesla gave people software locked larger batteries, they were a mature manufacturer. They were putting the big battery in every car because the economies of scale mattered more than the raw component cost.

I don't think Rivian (yet) has that flexibility.

I also don't want them to get distracted trying to make that work. Would much rather get my truck sooner. :)
Agreed.

I think if they wanted to wiggle around that MSRP limit, you could configure a "Max Pack Capable" truck in the configurator, and then at time of delivery, you could add that "dealer installed option". If you didn't pull the trigger, you don't get that truck, but one just like it.. without that Max Pack onboard (and probably a delay on taking ownership).

But yeah, I can't see Rivian coming out of the gate tossing the Max pack on all trucks just to enable/disable based on customer request (plus, it messes with the internal storage under the seats).

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

This bill isn't set up right if people are giving up larger batteries to get a tax credit. With a larger pack people will be more inclined to take their R1T on long trips and leave their second ICE vehicle at home.
It would be best if you can exclude battery upgrades from the cutoff price for the rebate.
Thatā€™s a strong argument for the soft cap on MSRP as others have advocated in different threads. The hard cap will short term impact buyers preference and long term lead the manufacturers to make sacrifices to stay under the cap.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

Configure the R1T the max pack and explorer package with a color upgrade. Then get your rebate and buy new wheels and accessories later from the adventure store.
Keep in mind the wheel and tire packages are upgrades over stock, so Rivian (and every other manufacturer) are figuring the cost to upgrade over base, meaning you are getting a "credit" for the base option. If you forego the wheel/tire upgrades initially and take delivery with stock wheels, you will probably be paying substantially more for the upgrades than what is currently on the website, unless Rivian offers them as an immediate post purchase upgrade to help people get below MSRP price points.

Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Keep in mind the wheel and tire packages are upgrades over stock, so Rivian (and every other manufacturer) are figuring the cost to upgrade over base, meaning you are getting a "credit" for the base option. If you forego the wheel/tire upgrades initially and take delivery with stock wheels, you will probably be paying substantially more for the upgrades than what is currently on the website, unless Rivian offers them as an immediate post purchase upgrade to help people get below MSRP price points.
At $1700-$3500 upgrade cost I guarantee that Rivian is not giving you ā€˜creditā€™ for the value of the stock 21ā€ wheals/tires.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

At $1700-$3500 upgrade cost I guarantee that Rivian is not giving you ā€˜creditā€™ for the value of the stock 21ā€ wheals/tires.
Fair enough, what I meant was I would expect Rivian to charge more if you upgrade after you purchase, similar to how the Gear Shop charges more for the charger.

nfrank

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Fair enough, what I meant was I would expect Rivian to charge more if you upgrade after you purchase, similar to how the Gear Shop charges more for the charger.
Or just buy a set of wheels and tires on tire rack. Keep or sell the 21" set, although the used market for 21" Rivian exclusive tires will be small

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

Or just buy a set of wheels and tires on tire rack. Keep or sell the 21" set, although the used market for 21" Rivian exclusive tires will be small
But then the pictures of the truck in the computer won't match what you have in real life:crying:

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
My Mother-in-law. I'm willing to sacrifice her to get that tax credit

*gets approached by a man in black. He whispers something in my ear*

What do you mean that's not the question asked?! ?
Sponsored