Sponsored

What are you currently driving? (Glamour Shots)

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

2020 Honda Clarity PHEV, my first EV of any kind.

Bought it mainly to experience what charging/re-charging is like. My apartment complex has reserved charging spots ($75/mo.) but the electricity is "free." That's probably too much to pay but its nice knowing that spot will always be open and available (not this photographed spot).

Overall its a very refined vehicle driving on electrons - of course because it's a Honda! However, when that tiny 1.5L four-banger engine fires up it intrudes. That's because it runs as if on a CV tranny with a fixed, high RPM racket as it churns its own generator to feed the larger electric motor.

Can't complain about the fact that after 2,500 miles of all short distance city driving it's averaging 65 mpg. And its always a hoot on those once a month trips to gas station to fill-up the meager 7-gal fuel tank. :)

(yes, I park closer to the charge station ever since this very first time) Lol

Rivian R1T R1S What are you currently driving? (Glamour Shots) Clarity

Last edited:

McMoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
2020 Honda Clarity PHEV, my first EV of any kind.

Bought it mainly to experience what charging/re-charging is like. My apartment complex has reserved charging spots ($75/mo.) but the electricity is "free." That's probably too much to pay but its nice knowing that spot will always be open and available (not this photographed spot).

Overall its a very refined vehicle driving on electrons - of course because it's a Honda! However, when that tiny 1.5L four-banger engine fires up it intrudes. That's because it runs as if on a CV tranny with a fixed, high RPM racket as it churns its own generator to feed the larger electric motor.

Can't complain about the fact that after 2,500 miles of all short distance city driving it's averaging 65 mpg. And its always a hoot on those once a month trips to gas station to fill-up the meager 7-gal fuel tank. :)

(yes, I park closer to the charge station ever since this very first time) Lol

Clarity.jpg
It’s a very underrated car. My parents have one. Somewhat ugly but it was about $20k after NY incentives and federal tax credit for a brand new car. I’ve driven it a few times and it’s perfect for commuting. Trips are nice too with the adaptive cruise control and it will do 40+ miles on electric only.

Sponsored

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

It’s a very underrated car. My parents have one. Somewhat ugly but it was about $20k after NY incentives and federal tax credit for a brand new car. I’ve driven it a few times and it’s perfect for commuting. Trips are nice too with the adaptive cruise control and it will do 40+ miles on electric only.
I agree 100%. Got mine here in CA few months ago. Honda is discontinuing Clarity so you can walk into a dealership and they will deduct between $8 - $10 thousand dollars right off MSRP. So this top-line Touring (heated leather, upgraded audio) cost me $28K. Similarly, the CA rebate and Fed tax credit makes it around $20 grand give or take. How the hell can you beat that for a roomy 5-passenger sedan that drives with Acura refinement, is library silent when that 4-banger isnt running and qualifies for single (driver only) occupancy of HOV lanes. Civics and Accords cost more and offer much less tech.

TXKidd

First Name
Harrison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, R1T pre-order
I’m not seeing many trucks? Has Rivian found an untapped market?
I tend to go through phases where I want a truck and then a car and then another truck ? .

Last truck was this ‘16 GMC Sierra w/ the 6.2L V8, that I then swapped for the S5.
Rivian R1T R1S What are you currently driving? (Glamour Shots) D6189A4D-00E2-4AC0-B8C5-AA150D34D588

Started following Rivian shortly after the reveal and that itch for a Truck/SUV came back. Although this time it would be one that doesn’t live at a gas station, and isn’t built from fisher-price plastics.

But first wanted to see if I could live with an EV, so then came the Model Y.
Rivian R1T R1S What are you currently driving? (Glamour Shots) D0ED82AC-026D-4BE7-9365-33FD80804FAE

I’ve since decided that yes, I can live with an EV, and eagerly await the arrival of my R1T.

Last edited:

Mjhirsch78

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey became an R1T: MAGIC!
Occupation
Teacher
I’m not seeing many trucks? Has Rivian found an untapped market?
Have wanted a truck for twenty years. Rivian finally made one my wife and I can justify.

discsinthesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Element
They did in my case. Before Rivian I would never even consider a truck.
Likewise. They are super functional for my hobbies, but I don't think I could get over the fuel economy drawbacks. With an EV, I finally don't have to make that trade-off.

Sponsored

bmac

First Name
Bryant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Navigator, 2014 Audi S4, 2018 GT350 Mustang
I will be replacing my 2008 Lincoln Navigator which has over 160,000 miles on it. I am looking forward to the improved acceleration, handling, and fuel savings. I just hope the Rivian is as trouble free as the Navigator has been. I also am anxiously awaiting real towing data to see what I can expect for range while towing 8500 pounds up and down hills. I currently configured the LE version, but might switch for the bigger battery.

Rivian R1T R1S What are you currently driving? (Glamour Shots) G23 (2)

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
The fleet. Grand Cherokee has been a great daily driver, but will be replaced by R1S.

Rivian R1T R1S What are you currently driving? (Glamour Shots) 20190524_201336

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Great pictrue!
Thanks! Actually took that one to tweet at Rivian.

Unfortunately, just lost one of the big oaks behind the GC last week due to ice...sad.

Rivian R1T R1S What are you currently driving? (Glamour Shots) 20210212_153704_HDR
Sponsored