Sponsored

What $70K ICE car would you have gotten ?

Trekkie

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ID.4, 2022 Polestar 2, 2023.5 Defender 110
Occupation
IT Nerd
I'd continue to do without a truck. I learned to drive on a '71 Chevy SIlverado that took regular gas. The car was as old as I was and covered in rust in high school but had a 396.

drank gas, but it was $0.85 a gallon back then.

As gas became more expensive in the 90s, i switched to higher (30 mpg) cars and gave up on owning trucks as using a truck to get around with maybe 15 MPG isn't economical as a daily driver. I've missed trucks every day since. We've not gone camping or stuff as my kids have grown because I need a car 95% of the time for a 60 mile commute and I refuse to do it in a truck that can tow 11,000 pounds as a daily driver and dont have space to sit one in the driveway only for excursions

Rivian gives me the opportunity to do that, commute in it, and not waste gas/fill the air with carbon.
Sponsored

JulianD

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Range Rover Sport, 2017 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG
Occupation
Accountant
Hey Everyone, just wondering, If Rivian did not provide a suitable option for a (relatively) large EV SUV, what similarly priced ICE SUV would you have considered getting?
Do you have concerns about the quality and reliability of the Rivian R1S vs. a legacy ICE based substitute ?

Personally - I like the Range Rover sport, hence why the R1S caught my eye.
My wife and I bought a 2021 Range Rover Sport in January of 2021. We have about 10k miles on it now and we both love it. I've been looking at the Ford Bronco (fullsize) and possibly a Land Rover Defender as I would like something with some off-road capability. The RRS is my wife's car and I have taken it off-road but she isn't crazy about me doing that again so I am looking to replace my car with something that has that level of capability and luxury. I think the Rivian R1S will fill that need so I spec'd one out and put a deposit down yesterday. I'm hopeful that it won't take forever to take delivery of it and I just hope it lives up to my expectations.

This is our Range Rover Sport out in the middle of nowhere California (about 30 minutes out of Joshua Tree and about 9 miles off the main road). I ran over a bush and got a flat tire unfortunately. Was disappointed to find that the RRS doesn't come with a fullsize spare tire.

Rivian R1T R1S What $70K ICE car would you have gotten ? 20210522_192838

Jarico75

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model Y, Camry Hybrid
Clubs

Raptor

UP Finn

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1992 HMMWV, 2018 4Runner ORP, 2020 Model Y Perf
Just wondering if folks would feel the same way if ICE vehicles exhaust was colored (black,blue,orange ect.) or had a foul odor.

ICE exhaust is colorless and almost odorless so no one gives it a second thought.

I am thinking that not too many years from now you will not have any option but EV.
I'm pretty sure I would still feel the same...
I don't think that EV's are going to take off like most people on this forum thinks they're going to . We represent a very small percentage of the population. I have a very large group of friends/family members/coworkers (professional and blue collar), etc., and I'm the only one with an EV. Most think it's a very cool novelty. No one that I'm aware of have any intent to buy one. Including the ones who can afford it or care deeply about the environment. No one.
My guess is that car manufacturers who jump in with both feet with EV's are going to have lots of available inventory. Maybe I'm wrong....

hola29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I was a weird guy with a computer at home at one point in my life…now everyone has one in their pocket. Things can change pretty quickly.

I'm pretty sure I would still feel the same...
I don't think that EV's are going to take off like most people on this forum thinks they're going to . We represent a very small percentage of the population. I have a very large group of friends/family members/coworkers (professional and blue collar), etc., and I'm the only one with an EV. Most think it's a very cool novelty. No one that I'm aware of have any intent to buy one. Including the ones who can afford it or care deeply about the environment. No one.
My guess is that car manufacturers who jump in with both feet with EV's are going to have lots of available inventory. Maybe I'm wrong....

Sponsored

rraj2k81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S LR
Starting to take an interest in the 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4xe, as a possible alternative for the R1S. Never been a fan of FCA/Stellantis products due to build quality/reliability issues, but the new Grand Cherokee with the hybrid drive train looks attractive.

I am also considering the F Pace R-Dynamic.

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

Ram TRX especially now that they are saying they will stop selling the Hellcat engine in 2023.

RDB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90
Yukon AT4 or BMW X7, maybe Toyota Sequoia if the next design is good

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Most likely, the Gen 3 Ford Raptor. I sold my Gen 2 last spring and I already miss it.
Alternatively I think I'd look at the new GMC AT4X.

I'd also consider the Land Rover Defender. However I think their reliability woes would prevent me from pulling the trigger on one.

koopiskeva

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus GX460, Subaru STI, 2x Honda S2000
I was actually looking to upgrade my GX460 to a Lexus LX570 soon-ish. Saw that the LX600 was coming out soon and decided to look at options in the similar size (not many), and off-road capability.

After researching more cars of the same type, randomly stumbled onto the Rivian R1S and found it is near identical in terms of size to the LX. After reading reviews on the R1T, and seeing its off-road capability, went ahead with the pre-order.

Sponsored

Chris S

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 Model 3 Perf, '19 MX-5 Club, '22 Model Y Perf
Occupation
REALTOR
It now looks like my Bronco (which I reserved right when the site when live) will arrive before my Rivian.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

Per mile is only one way to do it and you have to say its fair to do it that way. In Virginia it's flat and most unfair to me as I don't drive that much any more. But I don't care.
Per mile is not necessarily fair. I take the Pennsylvania Turnpike about 32 miles each way (about $8 a day total), to and from work. 64 miles, each day I go to work (and I can't work remotely). It's a toll road. I already pay to use it. I shouldn't be taxed twice for a road I already pay to use. Mileage may be the easy solution, but it isn't a fair solution. People are already paying tolls to use roads to maintain those toll roads (or other state projects) , I shouldn't have to pay twice for it.

Last edited:

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Used 2014 Porsche 911 Carrera 4S
$65,991
Great Deal
12,376 mi
Rivian R1T R1S What $70K ICE car would you have gotten ? sBK5pe1RP4NfbRlLtSmcTi9lGRY

With your $70,000 limit, I'd have enough left over for the next two oil changes!

ffpdfirefighter2002

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
Occupation
Military
really hope Rivian can pull through but guessing not until 2023 for me.. also looking at the refreshed 2022 Silverado LTZ.. coming back from the desert early 2022 and don't currently have a vehicle.. a truck is a must.. tried making a car work but quickly missed the utility of a truck.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Toyota 4Runner Limited, 2015 Subaru Crosstrek
Occupation
Physician
I would have kept my 4Runner for "adventure" purposes and bought a Taycan 4S (my Rivian build is ~$100k). I love my 4Runner and the R1T is the only thing I can really see sacrificing it for.
Rivian R1T R1S What $70K ICE car would you have gotten ? 7FA59FD4-2A1A-48F9-89D6-597A9CC80EA7_1_105_c
Rivian R1T R1S What $70K ICE car would you have gotten ? 977BA106-6C1B-4921-87C3-1204FEB0BC4B_1_105_c
Sponsored