Sponsored

What $70K ICE car would you have gotten ?

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

RAM TRX
Sponsored

fastwheels

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, C8 Z06, GT-350
Since the question is about an ICE for $70k, if I could find it now, it would be a C8 Corvette.

So very different from the Rivian in most aspects, but in one respect, they are very similar. Each provides enormous value for the dollar. Even the base Corvette at $60k (if you can find one) is a monster of a deal with SuperCar-type handling and performance. When Chevy figures out how electrify the 'Vette, watch out. That will be an on-pavement-only type of Adventure! Hopefully!

All that said, I'd much rather have the ElectriVette. I'm guessing it might cost juuuust a little bit more than $60k.
Five months after I placed my deposit on the R1T (2/19) I saw a C8 at Stanford Chevrolet. Put down a deposit the same day at the dealer I had used in the past (for MSRP). When we discuss getting an R1 without seeing colors or driving it - this is exactly what I did with this. No complaints! Dealer estimated March 2020 build. A GM strike and COVID pushed that back to late September. I was able to get about 800 miles on it before winter storage. The car is incredible - more than I expected! I have been driving high performance cars for 50 years and this is unquestionably the best performing as well as the best bang for the buck.
An electrified version is almost certainly in the works, probably starting with a hybrid. I'm on my dealer's list for that and the upcoming Z06 (love the sound of a FPC motor!).
New spy photos show Corvette prototypes, possibly hybrid, testing alongside Acura NSX (autoblog.com)

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
M2 Competition, for me.

Nothing ticks all the boxes for us like the R1T does though.
M2 Comp is sweet. Yes, the Rivian does tick *all* the boxes!

Notaevfan

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Suburban, Silverado 2500, E39 M5, e34 M5, E36 M3,
Occupation
Home Builder
X7 would be the alternative. There is no other EV that is remotely appealing to my family and that is what has us so excited for the R1S. At this time, Rivian has the attention of buyers that are not "must have ev" crowd. We are a little scared that Rivian will be too techy, but are happy to give it a try. Hopefully Rivian embraces the non EV buyer's, as that will really allow them to grew extremely fast and in a way that Tesla will be limited. Please note I didn't say Tesla isn't growing fast, and while we have no interest in a Tesla, I root for their success because competition makes everyone better. I believe Rivian has the potential steal customers from every group of buyer and that bodes well for their success, as long as they understand why.

Sponsored

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
I already made that decision and got a Defender. It sounds like the supply shortages will continue into next year so I'm hopeful I don't eat too much depreciation when I trade it in for the R1T.

For those saying Defender, I can attest that it's an incredible, and incredibly capable, vehicle.

I drove by my local Ford dealership yesterday and was absolutely shocked that the dealer lots were basically empty. I'd say they're at 10% of inventory compared to full, and even compared to 2 months ago they were well over 50% inventory. Looks to me like they've been selling but getting basically nothing delivered to them.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
I'm not sure Congress has the will to attempt to tax the vehicles themselves. I would think they'd be more apt to up the gasoline taxes so as to extract the most taxation from/inflict the most financial pain to those who burn the most gas. A true use tax.
Pennsylvania politicians are formally kicking the idea around about a Vehicle Mileage Tax. $1000 - $1500 a year for the average driver. I expect to see this type of thing in other states, maybe even at a Federal level?

"The mileage-based tax would be 8.1 cents per mile and would raise just shy of $9 billion a year when the system is established, compared to the roughly $3.45 billion motor fuel taxes raised last."

Interesing how the revenue all but triples immediately.....

How will they enforce it? In Pennsylvania, we have annual State Inspection. They are already recording the mileage each year when your vehicle is inspected, so it's easy for them to calculate your vehicle tax.

There are unanswered questions:
- What if many or all those miles are out of state, such as someone who lives in Pennsylvania near the border and commutes to work in northern NJ. Very common scenario in eastern Pennsylvania. Should Pennsylvania reap the benefit?
- What about tractor trailers? Pennsylvania has huge interstate trucking traffic due to it's location between NY/NJ/PA sea ports and the "west". Some buy fuel in PA, paying the tax. Perhaps this would not apply to diesel vehicles and the fuel tax would remain?

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
  • I can install 2 Tesla wall chargers on the same circuit. There's not currently a solution to charge a Tesla and a Rivian simultaneously on a single circuit without using plug adapters (which makes the plug/cable situation for rivian a bigger negative than it already was)
I don't think you can. I believe the newer code versions require an individual circuit for each EVSE. You could do that with the Gen 2 HPWC but that isn't offered any more. The installation instructions for the Gen 3 HPWC make it quite clear that each Gen 3 is to be installed behind its own breaker.

After discontinuing the Gen 2 Tesla brought it back for a while so that people who had installed one (or more) of those on a 100 A circuit could expand their systems to up to 4 (the max) if they wanted too. I took them up on this and installed a second one and plan to put a Tesla Tap adapter on one and leave it there for charging the Rivian (it doesn't exactly slip on and off easily). The pins on the J1772 to Teska adapter are straight through so you could easily replace the Tesla cable on one EVSE with a J1772 cable if you wanted too but I can't see why anyone would want to do that. The Tesla Tap seems adequate for the purpose.

drhnbtx

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"22 R1T '07 FJ Cruiser, '13 Chevy 2500, '18 XC90
Pennsylvania politicians are formally kicking the idea around about a Vehicle Mileage Tax. $1000 - $1500 a year for the average driver. I expect to see this type of thing in other states, maybe even at a Federal level?

"The mileage-based tax would be 8.1 cents per mile and would raise just shy of $9 billion a year when the system is established, compared to the roughly $3.45 billion motor fuel taxes raised last."

Interesing how the revenue all but triples immediately.....

How will they enforce it? In Pennsylvania, we have annual State Inspection. They are already recording the mileage each year when your vehicle is inspected, so it's easy for them to calculate your vehicle tax.

There are unanswered questions:
- What if many or all those miles are out of state, such as someone who lives in Pennsylvania near the border and commutes to work in northern NJ. Very common scenario in eastern Pennsylvania. Should Pennsylvania reap the benefit?
- What about tractor trailers? Pennsylvania has huge interstate trucking traffic due to it's location between NY/NJ/PA sea ports and the "west". Some buy fuel in PA, paying the tax. Perhaps this would not apply to diesel vehicles and the fuel tax would remain?
For DOT commercial vehicles you have to pay IFTA taxes for miles driven in each state. The mileage must be recorded by the company and the money divided by each state according to those records

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
I expect to see this type of thing in other states, maybe even at a Federal level?
Virginia already has an extra fee for registration of BEV to cover the state gas tax we don't pay. The federal system is not getting a nickle from us (unless there is some federal rural electrification tax or something of the sort hidden in our electric bills) but they aren't getting anything from us for petrol and you can be sure that will change.

Per mile is only one way to do it and you have to say its fair to do it that way. In Virginia it's flat and most unfair to me as I don't drive that much any more. But I don't care.

- What about tractor trailers? Pennsylvania has huge interstate trucking traffic
WRT to passenger cars they won't do anything - you pay Pa and I pay Va and you are as likely to come to Va as I am to go to Pa so it all evens out. Trucks have been handled differently being required to buy fuel in states they are transiting (I know that at least some states do this).

Sponsored

Jay

First Name
Vicky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Ascent
Jeep Grand cherokee L and save some ? ?

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I am not in the market for a vehicle, only buying the R1S because it is an EV and has some incredible specs. If the R1S was not available, I would be on the sidelines waiting for a similar vehicle and just keep my Jeep GC.

Riventures

First Name
Ft
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eTron GT
Occupation
Management Consultant
Rivian has given me hope in more ways than one. It made me a believer in EV's future. I came to this site to learn more about Rivian and the models, and I am so glad I did. There are so many passionate people here with positive and welcoming attitudes that I think it is a unique place to read about Rivian when time allows. I do not need to name the contributors, I think you all know the usual suspects; please accept my sincere appreciation to them for sharing so much.

With all of the information on this site and from Rivian as well, I was able to look into the R1T specifically and R1S, hopefully as objectively as I could. I really want an EV and specifically an R1T. However, either it is not ready for me or I am not ready for it. I can wait, but life is too short to pass on enjoyment of the outdoors, trips, and maybe a few small 'adventures.' The actual reasons for me to not wait for a Rivian is not time, but there are more than few issues with the platform that just is asking me to make too many compromises at this time.

Although I have to eat my own words from my previous posts, I placed an order for a Raptor and hoping I will be able to start driving it before the end of the year or right as we turn to 2022, crossing fingers.

I will keep my deposit and place in the waiting line for the R1T, but if all goes well, I am hoping I'll be driving a Rivian around 2025-2028. I will continue to come here, read your stories and share some of mine with you all, it is just an enjoyable place.

Thank you.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Five months after I placed my deposit on the R1T (2/19) I saw a C8 at Stanford Chevrolet. Put down a deposit the same day at the dealer I had used in the past (for MSRP). When we discuss getting an R1 without seeing colors or driving it - this is exactly what I did with this. No complaints! Dealer estimated March 2020 build. A GM strike and COVID pushed that back to late September. I was able to get about 800 miles on it before winter storage. The car is incredible - more than I expected! I have been driving high performance cars for 50 years and this is unquestionably the best performing as well as the best bang for the buck.
An electrified version is almost certainly in the works, probably starting with a hybrid. I'm on my dealer's list for that and the upcoming Z06 (love the sound of a FPC motor!).
New spy photos show Corvette prototypes, possibly hybrid, testing alongside Acura NSX (autoblog.com)
fastwheels,

Thanks for all that you forwarded. I’ll bet those 800 miles were great fun, but it must have been gnawing at you while waiting to get rolling again this year.

Thanks again for all, especially the update. It gives me some hope we’ll eventually get the full BEV ElectriVette one day.

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
I don't think you can. I believe the newer code versions require an individual circuit for each EVSE. You could do that with the Gen 2 HPWC but that isn't offered any more. The installation instructions for the Gen 3 HPWC make it quite clear that each Gen 3 is to be installed behind its own breaker.
Load sharing is clearly still being advertised as a feature of Tesla's Gen 3 charger.

I just looked at the Gen 3 installation manual. It does say that you need 1 breaker / charger, but one layout suggested in manual is a subpanel. So I could add a small subpanel where the existing charging circuit terminates and then run both chargers off of that subpanel. When only one car was charging, it would be able to take in 100% of the subpanel's load and if both cars are charging, it would automatically cut the power to each in half until the first car finishes and then 100% of the power can go to the second car.

However the manual does contain a note about how the feature is coming via a future OTA update. I am not sure if that is outdated and the feature has now been implemented, or if that is still coming "soon".
Sponsored

Last edited: