Sponsored

What $70K ICE car would you have gotten ?

Trekkie

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ID.4, 2022 Polestar 2, 2023.5 Defender 110
Occupation
IT Nerd
Tesla Model X for our SUV (already have, replacing with R1S) but I was looking for a daily driver for me for the car, so most likely I'd have looked at other EVs on the market, most likely a model 3 performance. I haven't owned a gas car since 2017, wouldn't go back.

I did check out the etron, but it's price to feature ratio is too high for my taste, and it's not that exciting to justify its price. Even the new S version is at least a second slower than the X performance if I wanted that.
Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Iā€™m not a patient man. Itā€™s a failing of mine.
Yesterday I went out and test drove a Land Rover Defender. Fortunately I was very much underwhelmed by it. Then the dealer told me any orders wouldnā€™t be delivered for 10-12 months.

The GMC AT4X comes out this spring. I must somehow make it past that release. But if Rivian doesnā€™t deliver by the end of this year, I think Iā€™m done with the idea of buying an EV for the next five years.

Reactions: Max

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

I would go with a Chevrolet Tahoe with the 3.0L Duramax Diesel Engine.

Brian

r1t_kev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Crosstrek
A $70k ev probably equates to a $40k ICE vehicle when taking into account $4/gal gas and maintenance over ten years

Soā€¦Tacoma
Same scenario here. I was considering other compact/mid-size pickups in the $40k-ish range. After doing the math, total cost of ownership is pretty comparable to a $70k R1T for 8 years. To me, the nominal difference is worth it to go EV and have a much more lusty vehicle.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Ford F-350 and lots moreā€¦
Occupation
Software Developer
I'm sticking it out for the EV pickup... Had I predicted the continuous delays and max pack being pushed into next year, I would have ordered a '21 PowerBoost F-150. And been driving my truck by now which would become a company work truck when my max pack R1T gets here. Now I wait for that R1T. I may follow through with my Lightning order -- should be wave 2 this week. The plan of going with it as a lower XLT with ER battery and then convert it to company truck later is a no-go with Ford's pricing. $75K for an XLT with ER battery and cameras... Or $80K for the Lariat. Meh... If I were to order a '22 PowerBoost now, I won't get it until the end of the year anyway. Would have to monitor all the dealerships to see what's coming in and try to grab one, but then I'll end up paying more with the current markups.

Sponsored

virgnia_rivian

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mazda Miata
I really like the new Grand Cherokee L. The tech in it looks really nice for the price point. I worry about long-term reliability with a Stellantis product though
I just got rid of our 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland. Quality was not job #1.. or even #50 for that matter.

Before putting in a reservation on an R1T we were seriously considering a Rubicon 4xe. My commute is short enough to do it entirely on the electric motor. Priced the way I wanted it, MSRP was around 65k. Like an R1T they are very hard to get right now. Lol

Iā€˜ve had a Land Rover. I also have a Macan, which I love. Porsche just needs to make an EV version, which I predict they will.

In all honesty, even though Rivian is new, I am looking forward to not having a dealer. In the DC area the dealers are so big customer service is not good. I had issues with two Jeep dealers and even durning Covid my Porsche dealer has been terrible.