Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Wrangler, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx Retired
Clubs

I don’t know how Tesla does it, but most OEMs start new model years well before the end of the year. When do you think Rivian will start calling them 2023s? And also…..do you think they will add or remove any color choices for 23? Just wondering out loud.
Sponsored

MidnightRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

They will remove more freebies like frunk outlets, tie downs and downgrade materials to lower quality.

Someone needs to give the Rivian shareholders a lifeline.

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
They will remove more freebies like frunk outlets, tie downs and downgrade materials to lower quality.

Someone needs to give the Rivian shareholders a lifeline.

Agreed. The Sandy Munro Consulting machine is fully engaged in “cheapening” a well engineered vehicle to appease the financial community. So, future buyers will get less and pay more. Tesla IS a good example.

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
Agreed. The Sandy Munro Consulting machine is fully engaged in “cheapening” a well engineered vehicle to appease the financial community. So, future buyers will get less and pay more. Tesla IS a good example.
Whuuut Tesla, cheap..? :giggle:

Last edited:

lefkonj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A7/Q3 R1S ordered
Clubs

Car manufactures have always had the 2023s out in August/September of 2022, nothing new here. With regards to Tesla/Rivian they don't follow usual model changes or schedules, since so much is done with OTA updates.

With regards to cheapening materials or removing features, who knows why speculate until it actually happens.

Could I see them pulling yellow because 'it isn't popular enough' sure but as of now they have said nothing of the sort.

Sponsored

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
With regards to cheapening materials or removing features, who knows why speculate until it actually happens.

But it is, has and will continue to happen. Around SN ~11,500, Sandy Munro cheapening suggestions were beginning to implement. The most talked about is the frunk 12v, but there were many more that I do care to list. I will add two to the discussion, others can add more if so desired.

In the Frunk the forward-most top plastic trim used to be held in place with rare earth magnets, and the frunk floor door open with two magnets. After S/N ~11,500, the trim magnetic fasteners (which never would break with repeated removal and installation) were replaced with similar plastic clips that typically break and have to be replaced after one panel removal. I also understand that the frunk floor door is now only secure with one magnet. A big deal that should cause us to walk away, no. But, make no mistake about it, massive cheapening efforts are underway that we may not see as Rivian tries to become profitable and ramp production. No benefit to you (as the price isn't going down, nor are you getting "more"), only beneficiaries are the company and its investors. I have SN 9910 (I bought a used one with 200 miles for MSRP) and specifically sought out a SN north of 8000 and South of 11,000. Mine is a "pre-cheapened" build.

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
January. Maybe a new color to keep the buzz high. I predict Rivian will also attempt to pass on a price increase as well.

OP
OP
av8or

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Wrangler, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx Retired
Clubs

This makes me curious. Ive never owned a Tesla so I can’t speak from experience, but several people I know that have had several say the newest ones are the best by far. I just drove a 22 M3 long range and I couldn’t find much wrong with it as far as build, just some phantom braking. What is it that you can point to that you’ve noticed?

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
So for Rivian to be considered a 2023 model will it need to be built in 2023? As others have mentioned classically automotive companies have their 2023 models years out in late 2022. I get that Rivian, like Tesla, just makes incremental upgrades as times goes on, just wondering what defines the 2023 model year for Rivian.

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
While the registration will have a model year change the vehicle itself will not be different. Tesla doesn't change vehicles on model year changes, and it's very likely Rivian will follow the same practice.

Sponsored

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
This makes me curious. Ive never owned a Tesla so I can’t speak from experience, but several people I know that have had several say the newest ones are the best by far. I just drove a 22 M3 long range and I couldn’t find much wrong with it as far as build, just some phantom braking. What is it that you can point to that you’ve noticed?
Yes, the high volume models (3 and Y) have the most consistent build quality. I’ve had a 3, MYP and MS Plaid. The model X and S have serious problems that rarely get fixed because they are low volume models that “don’t move the Wall Street needle”. If any of the MANY issues on the refreshed S or X occurred on the 3 or Y, Tesla would jump through their @$$ three times to address them - because Wall Street would not tolerate anything less. Cheapening wise, the 3 and Y are pretty cheap to produce now (per Elon) as a result of all of the cost cutting moves, yet the prices for these models are at record highs. Guess who wins? The company and its investors. Expect this “model and method” to come to Rivian, now that Sandy Munro Consulting is involved. Service wise, enjoy the Rivian honeymoon. In the early days of Tesla, you received the royal treatment. Today, you can’t even reach a human to talk to.

Last edited:

Bywaysmyways

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T GW OC 20 Darks and 2020 Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Scientist
Yes, the high volume models (3 and Y) have the most consistent build quality. I’ve had a 3, MYP and MS Plaid. The model X and S have serious problems that rarely get fixed because they are low volume models that “don’t move the Wall Street needle”. If any of the MANY issues on the refreshed S or X occurred on the 3 or Y, Tesla would jump through their @$$ three times to address them - because Wall Street would not tolerate anything less. Cheapening wise, the 3 and Y are pretty cheap to produce now (per Elon) as a result of all of the cost cutting moves, yet the prices for these models are at record highs. Guess who wins? The company and its investors. Expect this “model and method” to come to Rivian, now that Sandy Munro Consulting is involved. Service wise, enjoy the Rivian honeymoon. In the early days of Tesla, you received the royal treatment. Today, you can’t even reach a human to talk to.
Such deep pessimism.

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Such deep pessimism.
Such a deep “fact base”. I’ve owned three and speak from experience. And you? Don’t like what I’m saying, no worries - go check out any of the Telsa forums. I recommend TMC, as that’s the largest. Enjoy!

Loving the Rivian honeymoon period/experience, however.

Gamma rays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda
I really hope Rivian doesn't follow the "lead" of Tesla. One of the reasons I never considered Tesla was the frequent horror stories I read online. I am sure there are plenty of satisfied Tesla owners. But if you get one of the bad ones and require frequent service/repair, it's difficult to get support from Tesla.

GR

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I really hope Rivian doesn't follow the "lead" of Tesla. One of the reasons I never considered Tesla was the frequent horror stories I read online. I am sure there are plenty of satisfied Tesla owners. But if you get one of the bad ones and require frequent service/repair, it's difficult to get support from Tesla.

GR
Agreed. My MYP was just fine, quality wise. It is a fact, counter to what some people here may want to believe, that the cost to produce them (Telsa’s own words) has be dropping for years as they take cost out. During the same time, they have been raising prices. Their profit margins (and stock) rose as a result. The Model X and S have many known problems, like vibrating half shafts that Tesla hasn’t resolved for years. Now they call it “normal” because they all do it and no cost effective fix is in sight. You can’t make this stuff up.

Re Rivian’s next steps, I hope they don’t follow Telsa or Sandy “FMC” Munro either, but they did hire a lot of Telsa people and the UI and wheel controls are nearly a direct port. So, I guess we will learn in time. Hopefully RJ stays true to his original mission and that Wall Street doesn’t oust him for doing so.
Sponsored

Last edited: