Sponsored

JGard18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adv, 2023 Volvo XC40 Recharge
Occupation
Consultant
I saw my first R1T today while driving to pick up my kid from gymnastics. It was a small side road in a suburb of Boston, and we just passed each other. But as soon as I recognized those headlights I got ALL excited and didn't even know how to react. I gave a thumbs up, but I'm sure he couldn't see it due to the sun being behind me and kind of low. But man, it's so beautiful in person, and white really is a great color on this thing. It was also bigger than I was expecting
Sponsored

swazi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
A couple of funny ones
  • A guy telling me, "You don't see many of these state-side". I guess he's not wrong technically, but I just nodded in agreement although I wanted to ask where he thought it was made.
  • A variation on the "who makes it" 5 questions: After repeating "Rivian" to each question for 5 times, she still came back with, "so it's made by Tesla?"

U100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Back then, it was you that was the chick magnet not Trans Am. Now it is R1T ;)

Edit: U100, I wouldn't joke about anything that does not apply to myself. I hope you were not offended.
No offense taken! In fact, the more I’ve thought about when I purchased that Trans Am (new, in West Texas) it occurred to me that it was probably my mullet and not the car that brought the girls to my yard. 🤔

s12dxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE - LA Silver
Clubs

A couple of funny ones
  • A variation on the "who makes it" 5 questions: After repeating "Rivian" to each question for 5 times, she still came back with, "so it's made by Tesla?"
Totally have had this, with people just assuming Tesla makes it after me saying Rivian 5+ times.....

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I had my favorite today at a cabin showing. The neighbors came up and introduced themselves, great people, and said "we've only seen them in magazines!" I opened all the doors, frunk, gear tunnel. Best conversation starter ever! I learned a ton about the place and area, pretty sure they're putting a good word in for us with the seller. 💯

Sponsored

RivianDeac

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC40 Recharge
Love this thread!

I got “mobbed” twice today in rural PA, including outside a Napa auto parts. There were some legacy ICE type folks, and a nice guy wearing a Rivian T-shirt with his wife driving a 10 yr old VOLT. He knew my name from rivianstories which was hilarious! His R1T is coming in October. One of the ICE guys could not believe the pickup ran only on electricity or that it was made in the US. He said “ if electricity was so great how come they don’t make tanks that run on batteries”. I was like, “good point I guess, but they can run out of gas”. 🤔🤦🏻‍♂️

Quite the spectacle. Overall everone was very respectful and super impressed with the vehicle. Tons of pictures were taken. This truck has such a modern *presence* and yet it also feels familiar. I hope they succeed and have the impact they are dreaming of. I believe.

pmccut

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model S, Model Y
Occupation
Software Engineer
Meanwhile in California (bay area)... starting to see these with real frequency. There's another one on my street as of last week. I've seen 2 in the work parking lot this week. Saw another 2 driving to pickup food tonight! So happy they're getting these out in good numbers. But I no longer feel special :p

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

I wonder how RJ and spouse get anything done driving an R1S around town. What is that? How did you get that? You do what you say?

I suspect they have alternate transportation.
Well, he could honestly say that he and some friends built it in an old plant across town....

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
I had the opportunity of seeing two R1T’s driving around 9:30pm tonight. One was going towards be and the other one slowly passed me on the left.

The unique front and rear LED lighting really stands at night. The light bars are a great styling feature and helps the truck look very unique. No other vehicle on the road has this distinctive signature lighting.

Rivian R1T R1S What’s your best “OMG is that a Rivian?!?” sighting moment? AFD493C8-E73C-48EA-8492-4B609E5C24BF

Last edited:

Lysdexic

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tundra
The unique front and rear lighting really stands out at night. The LED light bars are a great styling feature and looks like nothing else on the road at night.

AFD493C8-E73C-48EA-8492-4B609E5C24BF.jpeg
That is a really nice pic. Did you take it? A difficult exposure.

Sponsored

Geocvl

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, Mini Cooper S
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Meanwhile in Canada it’s just crickets. My wife and I are planning a road trip to Florida in the fall and I suspect that is when I will see my first Rivian in the wild. I may be the person chasing after you to ask a million questions.

Nermal

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 Miata, 2017 Tacoma TRD Off Road, 2018 Q5
The first being the night I got it, 3/30 in our small town here in WNC I’ve had 2 “That’s only the second one I’ve seen!” from people who’d been to bigger cities.:surprised:

We took it to an Earth Day EV show in Asheville a couple of weeks ago where I was sure there’d be a few. We were the only ones and very popular attraction. It was a concentration of many of the reactions I see here. Thankfully, my wife (who’s become smitten with ours to her own surprise and can talk about it with the best of ‘em) was a huge help fielding inquiries.

Funny thing was that there were many ICE sports/muscle cars “cruising” and revving past the show area in defiance including a big diesel dually “rolling coal”. If they only knew what the R1T could do with none of that fuss.

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Meanwhile in Canada it’s just crickets. My wife and I are planning a road trip to Florida in the fall and I suspect that is when I will see my first Rivian in the wild. I may be the person chasing after you to ask a million questions.
In November we drove to California and didn’t see a single one, outside of the ones at first mile in Sonoma.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Geocvl,

You wouldn't be the first. It happened several times yesterday alone. That's really been a very fun part of this Rivian experience. I love showing complete strangers the features of the R1T and answering every question they have about the car and the company. That said, if you were to chase me down on your way to Florida, I'll have questions of you.

After asking "How's life in Ontario?", and "Where are you headed in Florida?", the next might be "Then, what the Hell are you doing in Oregon!?" No matter, wave me down any time and I'll show you how to use your Nav System, and how to get the most out of your windshield wipers' "Drizzle" Mode (very handy here for Summers) over pizza and beer. 😉

I sure hope Rivian surprises you with your vehicle ahead of your trip this Fall. That sounds like a great maiden voyage and would make it really memorable!
Sponsored