Sponsored

What’s making noise in my front bumper area while parked?

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CY R1T, 21 MachE GT
Occupation
IT
Has anyone else heard this before? It happens when the truck is parked and seemingly when I come into range with my phone / key. I thought originally it was the suspension but it’s coming from the bumper area.

I just submitted a service request but curious if this has come up before
Sponsored

Beachbum

First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
I have this exact issue. Looks to be vent baffles that open/close just behind the lower grill area. Please share Rivian's response when possible.

SACDFJC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FJ40
There are a set of louvers behind the bumper that allow fresh air to flow through a radiator that is located behind the louvers. If you take it in for Service they will lube them or you can get some dry lube and do it yourself.

dga965

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T (Adventure, Red Canyon; Ocean Coast, 20AT)
I had this exact problem and even put in a service ticket. Turns out the fix is super easy to DIY: It's the hinges in the vents that open when it wakes up. Sprayed some dry lube at the pivots and it's gone (cancelled the ticket). Mine actually sounded worse than that - creaks and groans like something really serious, but it wasn't.

BrianNakata

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2016 Shelby GT350
Occupation
Software Engineering Manager
Mine does this and it annoys me because it's wasting power trying to cool the battery when I'm not intending to drive the truck. I have mine setup to not unlock the doors, etc. when I'm home and it detects the phone or fob nearby. That part works fine in that it doesn't unlock, but it does open the louvers and turn on the cooling system. Why???

Sponsored

Hyro

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
tech
Ooooh, I've been experiencing that noise too! Can someone share more details on how to best get at the moving parts?

jollyroger

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model 3, R1T
Occupation
IT Manager
yep interested in that too, and which dry lube folks have been having luck with.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Mine does this and it annoys me because it's wasting power trying to cool the battery when I'm not intending to drive the truck. I have mine setup to not unlock the doors, etc. when I'm home and it detects the phone or fob nearby. That part works fine in that it doesn't unlock, but it does open the louvers and turn on the cooling system. Why???
Louvers get cycled as a check they are operational.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Louvers get cycled as a check they are operational.
And the amount it happens, has me concerned this is going to be a failure point. Everytime I go in my garage I hear them opening and/or closing. Granted I need to get out there and lube them, but when the pivots are dry, it just tells me they are opening or closing again. Stuff is going to wear out....

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

And the amount it happens, has me concerned this is going to be a failure point. Everytime I go in my garage I hear them opening and/or closing. Granted I need to get out there and lube them, but when the pivots are dry, it just tells me they are opening or closing again. Stuff is going to wear out....
Or it was engineered to function the way it functions. My other vehicles with grille louvers would do the same cycling, you just would rarely hear it.

Sponsored

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Or it was engineered to function the way it functions. My other vehicles with grille louvers would do the same cycling, you just would rarely hear it.
Could be. But the dry creaking of the pivots, at 20k miles suggests differently.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
I had this exact problem and even put in a service ticket. Turns out the fix is super easy to DIY: It's the hinges in the vents that open when it wakes up. Sprayed some dry lube at the pivots and it's gone (cancelled the ticket). Mine actually sounded worse than that - creaks and groans like something really serious, but it wasn't.
Excellent!

Can you share which dry lube you used?

My truck sounds like it's giving birth when I first power it up.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
OP
OP

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CY R1T, 21 MachE GT
Occupation
IT
I have this exact issue. Looks to be vent baffles that open/close just behind the lower grill area. Please share Rivian's response when possible.
It sounds like it's an easy fix, but Rivian mobile service is going to come out June 8th to check it out. I'm not in a rush to fix now that I know it's not serious, and maybe this will help to get them to release a service bulletin or something on the topic. I would have scheduled it for earlier but they're only in my area once a week and I'm going to France for a couple weeks in the next month for work
Sponsored