elektrode

elektrode

First Name
Bran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Ridgeline to R1T
I know it’s “Manchin Coal Country”, but don’t they burn coal to make their electricity?

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

Ironically the only two Rivian's I have seen were when I was driving through West Virginia. 🤷‍♂️

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Where we stopped overnight in the Hummer when driving through WV. I'd probably attempt that same drive in the Rivian in warm weather, but not with it being in the 20's like it was when we drove through.
Rivian R1T R1S West Virginia is a Rivian Dead Zone 1670008085076

Rivian R1T R1S West Virginia is a Rivian Dead Zone 1670011232655

Rivian R1T R1S West Virginia is a Rivian Dead Zone 1670011219041

Last edited:

Sponsored

CyberKentuckian

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'10 Tacoma
Occupation
Tech Sales
This is crazy:

FD220583-65F0-4F84-9F47-4710A9969E15.jpeg
5113B81B-8386-4EA0-9249-B6143DF5CC6A.jpeg
I more or less live at the apex of where you drew the oval and diameter line - northeastern Kentucky (you basically drew a circle around my primary driving territory) - and annually need to drive through WV to visit my folks. I keep checking PlugShare hoping that at least ONE 50kw+ charger goes into Charleston before I take delivery in April.

What a joke.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Last edited:

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
There are quite a few superchargers in WV. So if Tesla ever actually permits non-tesla's to charge at supercharges you will be all set.

CyberKentuckian

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'10 Tacoma
Occupation
Tech Sales
There are quite a few superchargers in WV. So if Tesla ever actually permits non-tesla's to charge at supercharges you will be all set.
Also watchfully waiting for this to happen...

OP
OP
elektrode

elektrode

First Name
Bran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Ridgeline to R1T
I keep checking PlugShare hoping that at least ONE 50kw+ charger goes into Charleston before I take delivery in April.

What a joke.
ABRP told me to stop at the Mercedes dealer in Charleston and hang out there for 3.5hrs!

Really need Tesla’s help here because Rivian’s “comprehensive” (ahem) RAN network does not appear to exist.

Sponsored

OP
OP
elektrode

elektrode

First Name
Bran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Ridgeline to R1T
Appreciate your help @Dark-Fx (what a cool handle!), but I think those locations you’re showing are in Ohio and Virginia.

Looks like the first step in trying to give West Virginians $ for electricity, food, snacks, and tolls is to GTFO out of West Virginia! LOL

There’s a HW just south of WV’s border in Virginia that is littered with public chargers but it turns a 4hr ICE trip into an 8.5hr EV trip.

CyberKentuckian

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'10 Tacoma
Occupation
Tech Sales
Ha ha
https://transportation.wv.gov/highways/programplanning/NEVI/Pages/default.aspx

Also, It looks like there should be a 62.5/125 Chargepoint installed at this Hyundai. Good for mid 80kW on the Rivian if you're charging solo. 15 minutes should get you through the state.
I'm not sure I'd trust it to hit 80kw, but I admit I'm not familiar with how this might do load-sharing. It's listed as 2x 62.5 chargers. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oddly, it doesn't show up on PlugShare when you apply a 50kw+ filter.

Rivian R1T R1S West Virginia is a Rivian Dead Zone Screen Shot 2022-12-02 at 3.31.57 PM

Rivian R1T R1S West Virginia is a Rivian Dead Zone Screen Shot 2022-12-02 at 3.32.06 PM

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Appreciate your help @Dark-Fx (what a cool handle!), but I think those locations you’re showing are in Ohio and Virginia.

Looks like the first step in trying to give West Virginians $ for electricity, food, snacks, and tolls is to GTFO out of West Virginia! LOL

There’s a HW just south of WV’s border in Virginia that is littered with public chargers but it turns a 4hr ICE trip into an 8.5hr EV trip.
Yes, they are. ~280 miles apart. The place we stopped at was a Hotel with a single L2 and three Tesla destination chargers. Only time I couldn't get my Tesla -> J1772 adapter to work, I assume the stations were supplying 277V. I drove extra slow on the off chance we would need the extra range, but since the L2 was unoccupied and working, I probably could have driven a little faster. We charged up to 100% at the Wythesville EA. It's probably still doable in the Rivian without the L2 stop but I'm not sure I would take the chance like we did with the Hummer.

OP
OP
elektrode

elektrode

First Name
Bran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Ridgeline to R1T
Also, It looks like there should be a 62.5/125 Chargepoint installed at this Hyundai. Good for mid 80kW on the Rivian if you're charging solo. 15 minutes should get you through the state.

https://www.plugshare.com/location/476015
Those ChargePoint ones freak me out because they are just one station with one CCS plug (the other one is Chad-bro LOL)

So it builds a single point of failure in the trip plan. If it doesn’t work, or if someone else is there it’s a bad trip. I do not wanna risk hanging out in Charleston all day. I fear the locals might hate EVs. LOL

Still puzzling why Plug Share doesn’t show that one.

MoreTrout

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired USN
This was my main reason for originally waiting for a max pack. I lived in SC and went to SW PA twice a year. While we were all in the preorder limbo before they went into production, I emailed CS with an unrelated question and mentioned this was a trip that would be problematic and thought the Beckley travel center was a logical site for a RAN charger. New River Gorge would also be a great location for a Waypoint charger. Still have the potential to travel between SW PA and Charlotte and would be worried about making that trip in my large pack. So glad I escaped SC for PA for thousands of other reasons, but the ability to get a large pack and not be in the limbo max pack preorders are suffering through turned out to be one of the biggest.
Sponsored