west coast roadtrip, extended range on last update near 400 miles

caleb.johns

First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Y
Just finished seatle to san diego and back road trip over xmas and new years, about 3K miles total with side trips. stopped 7 times for fast charging on the way down (and once overnight using tesla charger and my adapter at a hotel); 2 of the stops were free (one rivian charger and one electrify america freebie) so spent about $150 to go about 1,400 miles...not too shabby!

We downloaded the last update for 2022 in December at some point on the way south and on the way back north I started noticing the estimated range after (almost) full charge WAY past the published new max of 328 miles. We are showing over 380 miles for 3 charges in a row now. See attached pic showing 398 estimated range in conserve mode!

I removed the racks for the trip, re-installed the dorky plastic inserts on the rims that make it more aerodynamic and drove in conserve mode the whole time, but we drove through ice, snow flurry, crazy curvy mountain roads, driving rain and wind during CA atmospheric river storms, and I drive pretty fast on the freeway...usually 70+ MPH. I have the 4 motor Adventure R1T with the mid-range battery pack and 21" street tires.

All that said, I'm not sure the estimates shown actually equal the same range in real life...need to start tracking the actual miles driven between charges and then compare to the estimate when I started the cycle.

Anyone else seeing extended range estimates? Also, wondering if the upcoming update that just rolled out in beta will fix this and if I should clear my range history to start the algorithm over to be based more on city driving I normally do once I am able to download the next update....

Rivian R1T R1S west coast roadtrip, extended range on last update near 400 miles 20230125_110301
Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

There is discussion on this in a few places. You must drive mostly in Conserve but yeah no way that conserve is that much more efficient than AP.

In fact I mostly drive in AP and my AP range has drifted up to 289 miles but conserve is 293 miles.

Hopefully the next update fixes this, from the OTA notes on the next release, it looks like it at least changes how they calculate range and they are recommending resetting the history and gives us more usable capacity. So that will be interesting.

carmigo

Site Sponsor
First Name
Carmigo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Occupation
We help people sell their Rivian in the easiest way possible.
Just finished seatle to san diego and back road trip over xmas and new years, about 3K miles total with side trips. stopped 7 times for fast charging on the way down (and once overnight using tesla charger and my adapter at a hotel); 2 of the stops were free (one rivian charger and one electrify america freebie) so spent about $150 to go about 1,400 miles...not too shabby!

We downloaded the last update for 2022 in December at some point on the way south and on the way back north I started noticing the estimated range after (almost) full charge WAY past the published new max of 328 miles. We are showing over 380 miles for 3 charges in a row now. See attached pic showing 398 estimated range in conserve mode!

I removed the racks for the trip, re-installed the dorky plastic inserts on the rims that make it more aerodynamic and drove in conserve mode the whole time, but we drove through ice, snow flurry, crazy curvy mountain roads, driving rain and wind during CA atmospheric river storms, and I drive pretty fast on the freeway...usually 70+ MPH. I have the 4 motor Adventure R1T with the mid-range battery pack and 21" street tires.

All that said, I'm not sure the estimates shown actually equal the same range in real life...need to start tracking the actual miles driven between charges and then compare to the estimate when I started the cycle.

Anyone else seeing extended range estimates? Also, wondering if the upcoming update that just rolled out in beta will fix this and if I should clear my range history to start the algorithm over to be based more on city driving I normally do once I am able to download the next update....

20230125_110301.jpg
$150 for 1,400 miles! That's not bad at all. Wow...
Sponsored