First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3
Occupation
Blademaster
Had a full tankard of water in the frunk that apparently opened up at some point. So I can confirm a couple cool things about the frunk:
1. It’s not fully water-tight (the gasket at the bottom drains great), but it does retain humidity really well.
2. Water circulates really well through it, especially at high volumes.
3. If you need to get stuff really wet, it’s a great place to store them… you know, with water.

So my mobile charger is probably DOA, right? Reading through what remains of the guide in the bag, it seems the case. (As well as a pizza hot bag, which, ugh, heartbreaking.)

I’ve got two spare Tesla UMCs, so I’m going to fit one with a TeslaTap and carry that around to replace it. But man, this just… sucks, lol.
Sponsored

flimay2k

First Name
Fernando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure - R1S LE
Clubs

This should not be the case. The mobile charger is rated for indoor and outdoor use, so a little water should not damage it.

Let it dry and test it; if not working, open a ticket.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Most things rated for outdoor use aren't really rated for submersion.

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, 2016 Ford Escape, 2015 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

Yea, I would go to Home Depot or on Amazon and buy one of those Damp Rid containers (I use them for my keezer to keep it dry) and put the charger in a tote with one of those and seal it up. Those things are made to keep an entire room dry and it will suck every last bit of moisture out of the charger. Where ever the water got it, it should come out. I think as long as it wasn't running the only possible damage would be corrosion of contacts or solder joints and if you dry it out quick it might not have time.

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Bet you wish you didn’t throw out every silica gel packet ever, now.

put it in a big enough container with some desiccant for a couple days. it’ll be fine

OP
OP
tg_cid

tg_cid

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3
Occupation
Blademaster
Yea, I would go to Home Depot or on Amazon and buy one of those Damp Rid containers (I use them for my keezer to keep it dry) and put the charger in a tote with one of those and seal it up. Those things are made to keep an entire room dry and it will suck every last bit of moisture out of the charger. Where ever the water got it, it should come out. I think as long as it wasn't running the only possible damage would be corrosion of contacts or solder joints and if you dry it out quick it might not have time.
Huh, that’s a new Product to me - I’ll pick the 5lb one up on my way home from work today. I don’t know how long it was sitting wet so hard to tell, but I’ll spend $20 at the chance it might be salvagable.

OP
OP
tg_cid

tg_cid

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3
Occupation
Blademaster
Bet you wish you didn’t throw out every silica gel packet ever, now.

put it in a big enough container with some desiccant for a couple days. it’ll be fine
I actually had a couple from a new bag of dog treats that I threw in the frunk once i got everything out to try and dry it out 😆

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Huh, that’s a new Product to me - I’ll pick the 5lb one up on my way home from work today. I don’t know how long it was sitting wet so hard to tell, but I’ll spend $20 at the chance it might be salvagable.
I once found a decidedly not water resistant FRS walkie talkie in a puddle, by the state of the batteries it had been there for quite a while. Took those out, dried it out for a few days and…it worked!

charger should be fine.

monzarottie

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, MB Sprinter 4x4, R2 Reservation
Occupation
Retired
Should probably put one in his frunk too.

Sponsored

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
Another endorsement for damp rid. Works well for your use case to get the last of the humidity out of there.

OP
OP
tg_cid

tg_cid

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3
Occupation
Blademaster

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

If it’s not powered on while wet, the biggest longer-term issue will probably be any impurities left behind by the water if your able to suck all the moisture out of it. But maybe the guts are conformal coated for weather resistance. 🤞

IPTV65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep JLU Sahara,Jeep JKU, Infiniti G37X, R1S
Occupation
Engineering Exec
Clubs

Water and electronic devices isn’t usually the end of the world. Water, electronics and electricity is the real killer. Do what you can to dry it out. Then wait a week longer and give it a shot. You might be pleasantly surprised. Best of luck
Sponsored