Sponsored

Well that didn't last long 😅

mindstormsguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Some
I took delivery of my new Canyon Red R1T this morning at 8:30. Truck was in great shape. Recent VIN (7xxx), no cosmetic defects (except for a minor paint chip in the tailgate door jamb somehow). But I got 6 miles from the service center (less than a mile left to get home), and this message popped up on the dash.

Rivian R1T R1S Well that didn't last long 😅 IMG_2402.JPEG

I tried a soft and hard reset. No change. Looks like it's not a little SW glitch.

On the bright side, it's not air suspension related. Height adjustment still works, so I can still drive it around. I can't adjust shock firmness though, so that's probably where the problem is. It seems to be stuck on "soft". I suspect/hope it might be a loose electrical connector on one of the shocks. That would be a very easy fix.

Unfortunately, I was hoping to tow with it on Saturday, and I still haven't heard back from anyone at Rivian on a timeline to get it looked at. I really hope I can get this fixed before a road trip I'm planning in two weeks.

I'm tempted to just take a peek at all the electrical connectors I can find connected to the shock, to see if one of them is loose. I wish I had a scan tool to tell me which corner seem to be the problem though. I don't have a lift that's rated for 7000lbs, and I'm not super inclined to lift each corner one by one to pull off the wheel and poke around. There's so much plastic cladding to take off too. I can see exactly where the electrical connector for the shock is on my Camaro without taking anything apart 😂.

Oh well. Could be worse. I'm still loving everything else with the truck!
Sponsored

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Wow, stay strong

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
“Stuck on soft” is never a good thing…🤣. Hope your issue is fixed in a timely manner.

OP
OP

mindstormsguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Some
I think I found the root cause. The bottom-most connector in this picture (at the bottom of the shock) slid right off without me pressing the release button down. If I pushed it back on all the way, it didn’t click. I could just easily slide it off again. But if I gently pulled the release tab out a little while plugging the connector in, it would click. And now it doesn’t pull off anymore.

The problem is that my suspension light is still on. I’m doing a hard reset as we speak to see if it will clear…

Attachments

Sponsored

HokieR1T

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T LG/BM/20 AT
I've had the same "Service Suspension Soon" on mine for 3 weeks. Truck rides fine, suspension rises and lowers as expected, and the service team has told me multiple times its fine to drive. They finally reached out today to schedule service sometime in the next 2-3 weeks.
Hopefully its not a big issue, and since you are close to a service center, your wait will be much shorter.

ksujeff99

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Financial Services
So, hard reset didn’t work. But it was because there was a second connector loose on the opposite corner of the vehicle too. Once that one was reconnected, the error just went away. Woo!
Nice work!

Turns out regardless how locked down and obtuse the diagnostics are for end users, good old fashioned troubleshooting still wins the day.

ATL_Canes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90; R1T LE (Delivered April 2022)
I had this same issue, and service repaired it quickly. I’m much too dumb to have figured it out the way you did. :)

Sponsored

rraj2k81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S LR
Pictures or your Canyon Red doesn't exist :rock::(

RivnSoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
X5, ZHP, R1T, E36 M3
Occupation
Tax payer
It’s worth noting that all these connectors are easy to access without removing anything. So of anyone is having these issues, and has comfort “working” on vehicles, it’s worth a simple check. You don’t even need to jack up the vehicle.
Phenomenal work!

Reactions: Max

stynes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S LE
Clubs

So, hard reset didn’t work. But it was because there was a second connector loose on the opposite corner of the vehicle too. Once that one was reconnected, the error just went away. Woo!
Mad respect. Great job tracking that down. I wonder if an OBD reader would have told you which wheels or otherwise helped narrow down the issue. If I have the same thing happen... definitely going back to this post. Great work and thanks for sharing!

bilcus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Hello, fellow Canyon Red WA owner. According to my delivery guide, there are around 10 of us around the area.

I (almost) picked up mine 2 hours after you. During our walk around, the powered tonneau cover broke and there were paint chips along the front lightbar so they are gonna keep it for a couple more days.

It is a bummer but very happy with our delivery guide, he is giving us frequent updates, and I have no doubt they will get it fixed soon.

Rivian R1T R1S Well that didn't last long 😅 20220615_104044
Sponsored