First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
Getting an Airstream Basecamp scheduled to come in around the same time as the R1T. The Airstream dealer recommends the SwayPro ( SwayPro Weight Distributing Hitch | Blue Ox | Blue Ox )...well, also sells it.

There are lots of others out there, of course.

New to trailer towing and would like some advice.

Did see from my old Ridgeline manual: <<Weight Distributing Hitch A weight distributing hitch is not recommended for use with your vehicle, as an improperly adjusted weight distributing hitch may reduce handling, stability, and braking performance.>>

This may be CYA from Honda, but wondering if the R1T will come with similar cautions. Don't suppose anyone has seen a manual or any documentation. If so, please share.

Thanks!
Sponsored

monzarottie

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, MB Sprinter 4x4, R2 Reservation
Occupation
Retired
Getting an Airstream Basecamp scheduled to come in around the same time as the R1T. The Airstream dealer recommends the SwayPro ( SwayPro Weight Distributing Hitch | Blue Ox | Blue Ox )...well, also sells it.

Did see from my old Ridgeline manual: <<Weight Distributing Hitch A weight distributing hitch is not recommended for use with your vehicle, as an improperly adjusted weight distributing hitch may reduce handling, stability, and braking performance.>>

This may be CYA from Honda, but wondering if the R1T will come with similar cautions. Don't suppose anyone has seen a manual or any documentation. If so, please share.

Thanks!
While I can't speak to which weight distribution hitch is right for your rig, I strongly believe it's a vital safety requirement. I tow a very light camper (2000lb) and I can really feel the difference when I don't have the bars installed. If you plan to take a a trip of modest to long distance, you'll absolutely want it. Especially on open roads with crosswinds. I recommend working with your Airstream rep to get the right system. Installation is critical as well.

Rivian R1T R1S weight distributing, anti-sway hitches E0A02416-DCAB-4903-8CE1-7A06137FC1AD

Grabs10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo T8 and f350

Thanks!
First of all new here. Was late to the game and didnā€™t reserve an R1T until a month ago. Hope a bunch of reservation holders back out so I can get mine in early 2022. ?. Unlikely though.

with a WDH is good for towing safely normally? The air stream that you are pulling is 3500 lbs dry. that trailer is pretty light by trailer standards for pickups and the Rivian is pretty heavy tow vehicle. Me personally on a trailer that size i donā€™t think I would bother with a WDH unless Rivian recommends it for that weight. Also I would wait to see a Rivian towing manual. Air suspension can be a whole different beast on setting up a WDH. They may even may recommend against using one. A trailer dealer will ultimately sell you anything you will buy wether itā€™s needed or not. But that looks like a nice and easy WDH system.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
First of all new here. Was late to the game and didnā€™t reserve an R1T until a month ago. Hope a bunch of reservation holders back out so I can get mine in early 2022. ?. Unlikely though.

with a WDH is good for towing safely normally? The air stream that you are pulling is 3500 lbs dry. that trailer is pretty light by trailer standards for pickups and the Rivian is pretty heavy tow vehicle. Me personally on a trailer that size i donā€™t think I would bother with a WDH unless Rivian recommends it for that weight. Also I would wait to see a Rivian towing manual. Air suspension can be a whole different beast on setting up a WDH. They may even may recommend against using one. A trailer dealer will ultimately sell you anything you will buy wether itā€™s needed or not. But that looks like a nice and easy WDH system.
Agree with this. Short, light trailer pulled by a heavy tow vehicle shouldn't be an issue.

I might be more inclined to use one with an R1S, because wheelbase has a lot to do with towing stability as well. However, I would try it even with an R1S before making a determination.

FWIW, my dad tows a 6K 24' RV with a half ton gas truck without WDH (that's lighter than R1T) & it's perfectly stable, even in strong winds.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
I pull a 5K Boat and a 7K horse trialer with a Sierra 1500 (1/2 ton), no sway bars or load distribution. No issues at all.

I used to have a flatbed that I loaded cars on. I coudl get that to sway if I did not load it properly, i.e. not enough tongue weight.

Sponsored

First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
08 Nissan Titan Pro4x
Occupation
Mechanical Eng.
IMO, I agree with the others which say you may not need it. However if you watch the "Hot Weather Towing, Progress report". In the Rivian videos you can see the setting up the WDH when hooking and unhooking. (See 4:00, 5:30min) Keep in mind they were towing a trailer around 11000lbs. Which is the top end of the Tow capacity according to Rivian.

JamuJoe

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAM 2500, Polestar 2, R1T Max Pack Performance
Occupation
Retired Petroleum Engineer

Thanks!
The Basecamp and R1T should be a great combo! Iā€™ll be mating my R1T to our Airstream FC23FB.
Can you tow the Basecamp without a WDH? Probably. Would a WDH tow better? Probably. Iā€™ve towed our Airstream FC23FB >90,000 mi using the Equalizer WDH. It makes a difference in stability. Two Grand Cherokees and a RAM 1500 with air suspension. I plan to use it with my R1T. Ordered the 400 mile pack, so I must be patient.

Last edited:

Swezey

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1T QM LBP 21" Rivian Blue
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

RIvian owner's manual suggests > 5,000 lbs should be done with a WDH.

rhumbliner

First Name
thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T & Model X
Occupation
Retired
When I purchased my Flying Cloud the Airstream dealer also recommended the Blue Ox but I personally felt Curtā€™s WDH was easier to hitch & unhitch once itā€™s setup properly. And unfortunately thatā€™s a concern when traveling and using public chargers.

As @Swezey correctly points out, you really only need it when the TT is >5000 lbs and I doubt the BaseCamp comes close to that. I like the idea of having something to reduce sway but in my experience with the weight of the R1T being greater than my Flying Cloud, sway has never been a problem like it was with my Ram 1500.

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

We tow an Airstream 25FB with our R1T. We use a ProPride Hitch System. Our Airstream weighs 7,400# ready to camp. The 25FB has a 900# tongue weight.

The 20' Basecamp will go about 4,000# loaded with a 500# tongue weight. Being that the R1T is self leveling, you can get by with one of the Reese antisway hitches for around $300. A ProPride runs about $3,500.

Brian

Last edited:

Sponsored

Mathme

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T: El Cap, OC, 20AT, Off road package
Occupation
High Tech
My Audi Q7 was the same as your Passport...thou shall not use a weight distributing hitch. If I recall it had something to do with the unibody and too much weight on it. I did pull 6400lbs of boat trailer with no problems (it had a v8 in it) and boat trailers don't usually have WDH as they utilize surge brakes.

That Base Camp is pretty light as far as towing is concerned compared to the weight of the Rivian and there's little chance that the tail (trailer) will wag the dog (truck) in a crosswind. Additionally, if that trailer weighs 3500 lbs, then the tongue weight will likely be about 350 and there isn't much weight to distribute.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
The basecamp is 3-4k GVWR.

Pulling with the Rivian... don't waste your time or money. Hook and go.

Pulling behind your Rav4? Get the WD, but get a nice aluminum lightweight one with bars and no chains.
Sponsored