Sponsored

frostbit3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
From what RJ has stated in the past he’s said they were capable of V2H but wasn’t exactly straight forward in what that meant, so getting this clarity is awesome. Glad to see the hardware is indeed there and they plan to support it via software on the future.

OP
OP
Mysta

Mysta

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Polestar 2, Miata ND2 RF
From what RJ has stated in the past he’s said they were capable of V2H but wasn’t exactly straight forward in what that meant, so getting this clarity is awesome. Glad to see the hardware is indeed there and they plan to support it via software on the future.
Yeah I’ve been preaching that RJ said they’d work at the first drive event in 2021 but that’s old at this point, was nice for clarification as you said.

Gigawatts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fast ones
Hell YEAH!

doit82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, R1T
This is great to hear! This is one reason I was thinking of going lightening over rivian, but so happy with my rivian and with the price increases there was no way i was going to be switching so this makes the decision even easier. Can't wait to unlock that battery potential for home use if necessary.

Sponsored

OverZealous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2023 R1S Quad-Adventure
Occupation
Product Manager / Front-End Developer
Wait, doesn't adaptive cruise control work outside of drive plus? I thought it did.

Done 7000 miles and I am trying to think of this was ever an issue for me.
People are having trouble with adaptive cruise shutting off or causing phantom braking (without lane centering), and want ordinary dumb cruise as a backup.

I understand Rivian's position here. If they offer dumb cruise, how does the UI/UX for that work? How do you know when you are in TACC vs dumb cruise? It's easy enough to say add warnings/icons, but the reality is, unless a car is in front of the driver and they notice they are closing in on them, there's nothing to really "tell" you that the truck will slow down on it's own or not.

I think, at best, they would have to make it something you enable or disable within the menus, and enabling it effectively shuts off Driver+. And you might have to be in park to do this safely.

That being said, I haven't had any issues with TACC where I wished I had dumb cruise, so my opinion would likely change if I was having these issues.

Hopper

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Launch Green R1T, 2022 Polaris Ranger NorthStar
Occupation
Retired Executive and technical writer. Board of Directors Fly Fishers International.
That would be wonderfu!

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Wait, doesn't adaptive cruise control work outside of drive plus? I thought it did.

Done 7000 miles and I am trying to think of this was ever an issue for me.
ACC is a part of the overarching driver assistance suite, which is called Driver+. Another member of Driver+ is Highway Assist (HWA). HWA and ACC are used independently.

Last edited:

Sponsored

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
Good news.

Do we have to go to Reddit to get it?

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

People are having trouble with adaptive cruise shutting off or causing phantom braking (without lane centering), and want ordinary dumb cruise as a backup.

I understand Rivian's position here. If they offer dumb cruise, how does the UI/UX for that work? How do you know when you are in TACC vs dumb cruise? It's easy enough to say add warnings/icons, but the reality is, unless a car is in front of the driver and they notice they are closing in on them, there's nothing to really "tell" you that the truck will slow down on it's own or not.

I think, at best, they would have to make it something you enable or disable within the menus, and enabling it effectively shuts off Driver+. And you might have to be in park to do this safely.

That being said, I haven't had any issues with TACC where I wished I had dumb cruise, so my opinion would likely change if I was having these issues.
Vehicles have been doing this for many years now. The 2015 Subaru Forester we had showed the distance to next car graphic when using ACC and made you long-press the CC on/off button to drop down to dumb cruise. Then all you got on the dash was the speed that was set and your current speed rather than the graphic showing that it was watching the next car and maintaining distance. Hell, throw a red banner top-center of the dash saying ACC Disabled or something like that. But really, they already have this...what does the dash indicate when in Towing Mode while using dumb cruise?

Ravenron

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Engineer/Retired Military
Oh, you made me remember. The rivian simply gives you a notice that the cruise control is not adaptive. That's simply what it does. It also disables a bunch of other sensors.

So, to all the old fogers that do not want radar assisted cruise control, put the car in tow mode.

I cannot stand cruise control without the adaptive radar. Previous Toyota had adaptive, the Tesla is a master at it. I honestly don't use cruise control unless it is adaptive. I personally don't have any concerns about errors with it either. You can set it at a speed and the car will stop and restart in traffic and at lights etc so long as there is a vehicle in front of you. It's freaking fantastic. Other cars I've driven or had, the cruise control would not work under 20 or 25 miles an hour.

I suppose someone would want to turn this feature off but why?
Agree with almost everything you say above - ACC is the Bomb! No question! However, you mention you "...don't have any concerns about errors with it either." You obviously haven't experienced any of those errors. Such as when cruising along happily at 60mph, all alone on a country road and suddenly have the brakes applied fully. I can assure you you will jump outta your skin! There is no snooze button...no apparent reason, no sun glare, no other obstacles, nothing...it just decides it's time for hard braking. Doesn't happen often and otherwise, ACC works fine...just keeps me on my toes! :cool:

Hopefully, you don't ever experience it but if you do, you'll know it. Take care and good luck!

Ravenron

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Engineer/Retired Military
I am just being an ass. Folks are pretty picky about these vehicles and I guess Rivian entertains those folks.

Think of those with Toyotas that had the entune system - only a few years ago. Talk about torture.
No worries...your post just triggered my PTSD... :CWL: