Sponsored

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
  • We plan to add the Spare Tire for both R1T and R1S to Gear Shop later this year! That’ll be the pathway for owners to buy spares post-delivery, and we’ll be sure to notify customers once they’re available to purchase.
Considering that in Rivian'ese "later this year" translates to "Dec 31 at the soonest", that is a pretty disappointing update for people who think spare tires are important.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Mysta

Mysta

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Polestar 2, Miata ND2 RF
Considering that in Rivian'ese "later this year" translates to "Dec 31 at the soonest", that is a pretty disappointing update for people who think spare tires are important.
Eh i think it’ll be before end of q2

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
Eh i think it’ll be before end of q2
If so, wouldn't that would be the first time Rivian has ever followed through on something before the last day of the provided window.

OP
OP
Mysta

Mysta

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A simple solution, although I respect the environmental/climate change argument, is to own a gas powered generator. which I do. Power outage for more than 24 hours - I was able to parlay my $400 Win generator to keep our food happy.
Oh, what is supposed to happen with bidirectional charging? It seems to me to be an accessory extravaganza.
As the powers move to demand electrical heat or a heat pump---
I have natural gas....
I think one needs to define what needs to be comfortable,.
I am all for no gas of any kind, but the charging shit is quite quant.
Who cares why people want this? A generator is loud and annoying to setup. Can’t run long without being refilled. Rivian can power a house for like 3 days and thats not limiting what you’re using. Bidirectional can power accessories, an rv, or charge a friend in need, or a motorcycle. Could even use it for time of use if you wanted.

OP
OP
Mysta

Mysta

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I can see you don't know the power of a simple 1800 watt gas ⛽ powered generator.

I am more worried about powering my car.

You get the humanitarian award. There problem is what, what do you do when you got no power?

Got two EV's, awesome. Hate gas. But are we there yet?

On a power outage, you running to an EA charger?

Technology is there. So what? 2k in accessories?
Solar panels, where are you getting gas in a crisis? I don’t need to be humanitarian if I’m practical. Let me know when your fuel refinery is running.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mysta

Mysta

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Use hyperbole all you want, installed my own panels, got 55% back credit wise, already paid for themselves. CCS standard supports bidirectional charging, why wouldn’t I want something that only brings extra value? Seems stupid to wish otherwise.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Think of those with Toyotas that had the entune system - only a few years ago. Talk about torture.
I have one...in a 2016 4Runner. Long before Toyota succumbed to the pressure to use CarPlay, though it had only come out two years earlier and the same year a major update was made to the 4Runner...so I wouldn't have expected it to have it. Bluetooth works fine and so does the FM radio. But at least it has XM Radio off a satellite. Literally the only vehicle in my current fleet that I pay for XM, because I'm frequently in areas without cell coverage and I can at least rely on the satellite 95% of the time unless I'm in a canyon. It also still allows USB audio. Rivian relies on cellular service and does NOT have USB audio capability. So when you're stuff off-grid without cell service all you have to fall back on is shitty quality Bluetooth audio.

MoreTrout

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired USN
Wow, V2H confirmed, this is great news. I'm guessing they are developing their own in house V2H charging station like Ford offers for $1310 plus installation.
The $1310 is just their level 2 home charger. The V2H inverter needed from Ford for the Lightning is $3.9k plus installation. For Rivian, it gave me some hope the Reddit at least mentioned it will be based on the CCS standard. I much prefer what Enphase will sell next year as it will seamlessly integrate into my solar system. Rivian uses ISO 15118 which is what Enphase supports, so no reason it shouldn't.

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
From that Jalopnik article:
"Now, Rivian is a unique car company in many ways, but its willingness to answer questions from owners (and prospective buyers) is one of its greatest assets."
:CWL::CWL::CWL::CWL::CWL::CWL:

Sponsored

idea man

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
E250 Bluetec, Sprinter, Passat, F-250, R1250 GSA
Occupation
Project Manager
From that Jalopnik article:
"Now, Rivian is a unique car company in many ways, but its willingness to answer questions from owners (and prospective buyers) is one of its greatest assets."
:CWL::CWL::CWL::CWL::CWL::CWL:
They seem to try to interact with their customer base in a more human way than any other manufacturer I know about. They just don't seem to be very good at it, yet. The fact that they haven't been at it very long and don't have the scale to have better answers yet seems to be the problem.
V2H is critical to our use case. I cannot buy one of these until they get V2H into the update and the truck ships with it ready to go. It's become a Thing around the Idea house.

evguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1S LE; '18 Model 3 LR
Occupation
Law
V2H charging will be great (alone or as a supplement to solar panels) during peak hours. My utility just increased our peak rate to $0.82 per kWh between June and October.

SSteveEV

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, etc
Clubs

I suppose someone would want to turn this feature off but why?
Simply put, I'd turn it off because it works worse that my 9 year old MB wagon and that is depressing while using it. Happy to do that deep in the settings so I can turn it back on in a year or two when it is working better but until then I would like the functionality on rural farm country roads driving into the sunset.
Sponsored