Sponsored

Watts / Amps rating for AC Outlet Ports?

riviancanucknb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram 1500
Has Rivian published any expected Wattage / Amperage ratings for the AC outlet ports in the rear of the vehicle?

I am presuming they will be identical for both, but am interested specifically in the R1T.

Will they be able to handle 1500 watts , 2000 watts (ie. will they be on-par with the Yeti Goal Zero), or higher? I want to know how feasible it is to use this as an off-grid emergency solution. It would need at least 1500w output to be useful.
Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Someone reported recently that CS had told him that they will be 110V @ 15 A. A bit of a disappointment to people that might want to use them as work trucks but shouldn't be a problem for "adventure". Anyway, 1650 W and evidently there will be 4 of them. I don't know if that means 4 duplex receptacles or 4 simplex and I don't know if this means a total of 4 x 1650 W or 1650 total for all 4. But for sure you will be able to run your refrigerator.

OP
OP

riviancanucknb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram 1500
Someone reported recently that CS had told him that they will be 110V @ 15 A. A bit of a disappointment to people that might want to use them as work trucks but shouldn't be a problem for "adventure". Anyway, 1650 W and evidently there will be 4 of them. I don't know if that means 4 duplex receptacles or 4 simplex and I don't know if this means a total of 4 x 1650 W or 1650 total for all 4. But for sure you will be able to run your refrigerator.
Agreed 110v @ 15A is not enough for running real equipment - but then again I would be somewhat worried about the sine wave coming out of this before running expensive power tools from it, the modified wave could wreck some. I doubt they will be using a pure wave... supposedly the Cybertruck is looking at having a 240v outlet option even.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
I think we can be 99.99% certain that the inverter(s) will be pure sine as they will actually probably be implemented as buck/down converters/inverters - they will tie to the main battery rather than the 12 V battery. The trucks are chock full of vector space (PWM) inverters and I doubt they would use another technology for these inverters, It's probably cheaper to use the existing components than engineer something separate. I have observed on the Tesla forum that a simple modification to the 11.k kW charger circuit these cars use for Level 2 charging can turn it into a V2H or V2G bidirectional interface.

All speculation, of course. I don't know anything you don't.

Last edited:

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
The new Ioniq 5 is capable of handling 3.6kW output in a V2L setup. I sure wish Rivian had something similar for charging e-bikes, camping stuff, etc.
Sponsored