First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW T3, VW 16" Syncro, VW Mk11 Golf Country, Skoda Superb, Skoda Kodiaq
Occupation
Bakery Owner
I have been watching the birth of this vehicle for some time now and like many cannot wait to see one in the flesh. It will be some time as I am in Scotland but I do think it will be worth the wait and I will be ordering one as soon as the channels open.
With all the info out there and how this vehicle is going to fit into my personal and working life I only have one question that I am not able to find the answer to.
When the back cargo area is being used with the tonneau cover closed will it be water proof? I carry perishable bakery products to customers and it would be great if I can use the truck for deliveries.
With the delays due to the Covid-19 pandemic I have ordered a Polestar 2 for the interim period until I can order a Rivian.
Thank you in advance for your thoughts on my question.
Sponsored

ElectricTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Chevy Bolt
I've read that the tonneau will make the bed water proof but I would have to do some searching. I'm sure that was a statement by Rivian. All the same leaks can happen I'm sure. Opening and closing over time would cause wear I would think.

Coy

First Name
Coy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2005 Isuzu Ascender
Sidestepping the tonneau altogether is still a possibility...

Rivian R1T R1S Waterproof? 1590758096757

there are several variations proposed.

Reactions: Rad

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai
Yes and, if variations can be directly ordered from the factory, R1T orders will definitely spike, especially if the rear cab window can be removed, slid open or otherwise provide direct access or pass through to the rear bed.

OP
OP
Chiz

Chiz

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW T3, VW 16" Syncro, VW Mk11 Golf Country, Skoda Superb, Skoda Kodiaq
Occupation
Bakery Owner
Thanks for the quick and informative answers. My own thoughts are that I am really happy that it is thought that the tonneau is going to be waterproof. I have a problem with bed hard covers because to me it ruins the looks of the truck. I do have to say that the picture from Coy looks good though. Any other info would be good. Thanks

Sponsored

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Sounds to me as if you should be considering the CyberTruck. Tonneau rolls up behind and below at the push of a button and is waterproof. Seems much more convenient than having to attach nd detach a more convntional tonneau.

Or you could sidestep the tonneau altogether by ordering the R1S which is what I thought was being suggested in No. 3 until I looked carefully.

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Sounds to me as if you should be considering the CyberTruck. Tonneau rolls up behind and below at the push of a button and is waterproof. Seems much more convenient than having to attach nd detach a more convntional tonneau.
Sorry, I'm confused. Are you saying that the tonneau for the Tesla is already stated to be more waterproof than the electric tonneau on the R1T, which Rivian has only stated is "water-tight"?

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
No. Not saying that because I didn't even know that Rivian's tonneau is electric. It may, in fact be just as tight as Telsa's or even tighter. I still the the man ought to cosider the CT.

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T