Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Which is exactly the final thing that pushed me over to the adventure package.
For me it was the power tonneau, the nicer interior, and
well, all the other improvements over the explore pkg.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
For me it was the power tonneau, the nicer interior, and
well, all the other improvements over the explore pkg.
The others definitely helped. This was just the last piece of information that I found before I switched.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
So that’s not a slatted cover but some sort of vinyl?
It looks slatted. Not sure exactly how it folds/rolls up in there.

Gonna get me a service info subscription as soon as that’s available, see how all this stuff works

Bumble1978

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Nissan Leaf, 2009 Toyota Prius
Occupation
IT Manager
?...guessing the air hose kit has a jet air nozzle attachment and can be used to blow gear/surfaces off?!? Guessing that would work well in this scenario and/for light snow...?

Not gonna lie though with as much ingenious design they put, everywhere, I half-expected to see a stream or two of water channeled off either side or the tailgate/bumper area.

Wait no...THIS is what Tank Turns are really for. Drying off your tonneau before you open it. ?âœŒâ€âšĄ??

Sponsored

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

And I’m also wondering how this will work with fresh wet snow on it..that sits overnight..and is basically frozen the next AM.
Put a space heater in the bed and melt it first!

duessell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Chrysler Pacifica PHEV
I believe in the explorer the manual cover rolls up into the same space. It is just not powered

They say "In the R1T, there’s a manual tonneau cover that stores easily in the Gear Tunnel" and I've seen them say elsewhere that the manual panels can be used as a camp table.

Part of my reason for asking is I wonder what is done with the space that would be used for the power tonneau. I hope that means some bonus storage space in the Explore.

Last edited:

BWillR1T

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Highlander, Audi Q7
Occupation
Construction Executive
Clubs

I am happy with the function of the powered tonneau (it will be closed 98%of the time) but I am concerned about the cover and the storage compartment above the gear tunnel getting moldy if not fully dried before retracting. I suppose if you didn’t exceed 12-24 hrs or so with it open before you closed it again to dry out that would be OK, but what about excess moisture in the compartment? I don’t know that vent holes would be enough unless heat was also introduced.

Any thoughts?

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

It looks slatted. Not sure exactly how it folds/rolls up in there.

Gonna get me a service info subscription as soon as that’s available, see how all this stuff works
yea, I wanna know more.
On one hand, that level of integration lets you put the cargo bars on top of the bed and still open the tonneau cover. But it looks fragile. I personally have liked Diamondback covers. They are super strong, but if I mounted an RTT on top, I can only crack it open at best.

Sponsored

KeithPleas

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus GX, Porsche Boxster
I am happy with the function of the powered tonneau (it will be closed 98%of the time) but I am concerned about the cover and the storage compartment above the gear tunnel getting moldy if not fully dried before retracting.
I'm actually less concerned about water than about organic material. In the PNW you can't go anywhere without being subject to tree debris...needles...sap. Heck, even bird poop. Where's this stuff going to go when the tonneau retracts? Some will fall off...some will get in...there's gotta be some way to access and clean this cavity. I also think the needles are going to get into the slide area - which I imagine dust does with all the offroading they've tested in the SW. I've seen comments about the reviews (I generally haven't watched them myself) saying there were issues with these covers.

I'm not quite sure how I will use this truck but my intention is to get a canopy when they become available.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
In the past, Rivian has said the tonneau was really strong and an adult could stand on it without issue... For anyone who has seen one, in person, do you believe this is still true? Or is it now just for aero/visual rather than physical strength/security?

BWillR1T

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Highlander, Audi Q7
Occupation
Construction Executive
Clubs

I'm actually less concerned about water than about organic material. In the PNW you can't go anywhere without being subject to tree debris...needles...sap. Heck, even bird poop. Where's this stuff going to go when the tonneau retracts? Some will fall off...some will get in...there's gotta be some way to access and clean this cavity. I also think the needles are going to get into the slide area - which I imagine dust does with all the offroading they've tested in the SW. I've seen comments about the reviews (I generally haven't watched them myself) saying there were issues with these covers.

I'm not quite sure how I will use this truck but my intention is to get a canopy when they become available.
Oh wow, I didn’t think about that. That could be an issue too. Hopefully the engineers at Rivian have thought of everything
they have done pretty well so far.

Diddy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX

It’s a great point.

Based on photos/pics it looks like the rear panel is removable by accessing the bolts underneath the plastic circle covers. I guess the question is whether or not they actually want end users accessing that area for general cleaning and maintenance, or if it’s intended just for “official” service.

R1Tr8000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘99 SLK230, 22 Sequoia, 17 GLE43, 14 CnAm SxS
Occupation
Aerospace retired
It’s a great point.

Based on photos/pics it looks like the rear panel is removable by accessing the bolts underneath the plastic circle covers. I guess the question is whether or not they actually want end users accessing that area for general cleaning and maintenance, or if it’s intended just for “official” service.
This is exactly what I asked about and questioned maybe 2 or 3 months ago. Never received good info or a confirmation of how I can open/service/clean that area myself. It seems eventually dust, pollen, bird mess, pine needles will add up to a real mess down there - trapping moisture and worse case impeding correct operation.
Sponsored