Watch Alexa Open the Rivian R1T Frunk

Administrator

Administrator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian
Clubs

At Amazon’s product demo event yesterday, Alexa voice command integration was demoed on the Rivian. For example, here it's used to open the R1T's frunk.

Sponsored

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

I honestly would rather just wave my foot under the front end. I'm not one to walk around with my phone in my hand. If my hood needs opening my hands are probably full.
While I see your point, there are also other use cases relevant to opening the trunk...Your significant other needs to get into the front trunk and her hands are full and you are no where near your keys, or as you are walking out to your truck passing an Echo, you ask her to open the hood instead of standing there with your hands full waiting for the hood to open all the way up. Depending on weight of the load, I may not want to stand like a flamingo trying to get the sensor to see my foot. I am hoping there is more functionality with Alexa, e.g., the ability to kneel, summon in a straight line, pre-condition A/C and heat to a specific temp / heated and cooled seats, open the tailgate to both the 90 and 180 degree positions, adjust setting of electrochromatic moonroof(if equipped), lock/unlock doors, and add or purchase things from my R1T while driving. How many times have you been driving and remembered that you need to buy something but by the time you got home you forgot? Or you are driving and you use the last bit of windshield washer fluid, just order more?

I also know that there is a large portion of Rivian customers that want nothing to do with Alexa and the "Always Listening" that she does. Hopefully you have also turned Siri off, and Google Assistant off as they are always listening as well. And lastly, for those that don't want to use it at all, I am confident that there will be a way to turn Alexa off.

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
Already invested in Google/Nest products. So unless Rivian provides same functionality with Google Assistant, it's a feature I will not be taking advantage of. Here's a novel idea, provide both foot wave and smart assistant support. ;)

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
What if it is just part of the Rivian app? Sure, it might make use of Alexa tech, but does that really matter?

It would be cool to have the app use voice authentication & go into "listen mode" when it gets close enough to the vehicle.

Sponsored

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
What if it is just part of the Rivian app? Sure, it might make use of Alexa tech, but does that really matter?
I believe it would matter in the sense now my smartphone would have two voice recognition systems running chewing up more of my phone's CPU while also being an additional drain on it's battery, in addition another very large company "listening in."

Given that, I do like your idea of the app having some kind of a proximity detection to the vehicle to know when to activate the Alexa (or whatever) voice recognition system, however, that would require the Rivian app to be always running in the background. So it would depend on how well/efficient Rivian develops their app as it could possible just transfer the CPU and battery usage from the voice activation system to the Rivian app or even worse add to it. We won't know until somebody gets the production vehicle, installs the app and runs some tests. In other words, it will be quite a while before we know how this will work let alone how efficient it will be on our phones.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I would only want listening to be on while the app is open, and also see the need for voice commands to be available without requirement for Internet/cloud connectivity.

Phone CPU & battery will continue to be less of an issue in coming years, and is honestly not anything that I've worried about for the last couple years at least.

But I hear ya...

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I would only want listening to be on while the app is open,
Hmm, that may save on unnecessarily using up phone resources but it would kinda of defeat the purpose of using the voice recognition when, say, you're carry something and you don't have either hand available to grab your phone and then start up the app. Of course you could always start up the app before loading up your arms, but I wonder how often people will remember to do that, I can easily see myself being half way to my vehicle and realizing "damn, I forgot to start the app and now have to put every thing down" and possible in the rain or mud. :headbang::facepalm: ... Ya know what solves this? Summon mode ... and the vehicle automatically opens the hood when it arrives! :CWL::CWL::CWL:

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LOL. I guess you could just ask Siri or Google to open the Rivian app, right? ;-)

ElectricTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Chevy Bolt
I hope Bezo doesn't con RJ into loading up the Rivian with all of the Alexa nonsense. I will say I know little about Alexa.

Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
I hope Bezo doesn't con RJ into loading up the Rivian with all of the Alexa nonsense. I will say I know little about Alexa.
Sorry, but there will be FULL Alexa integration....

ElectricTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Chevy Bolt
I guess that won't be so bad.I Can get the microwave going while on the road. Hope there is a fart mode and karaok

We, the consumers, are all lab rats in Amazon’s lab as it tries to figure out how to best monetize Alexa

Last edited:

Joel

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo
I hope there is a way to turn Alexa off.

Rivian R1T R1S Watch Alexa Open the Rivian R1T Frunk Official Rivian Insurance

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

The best part about Alexa...If you don't want to use it, you don't have to. If you have the Amazon app on your phone, you already have Alexa. If you use Amazon Music, you already have Alexa. If you use Amazon Prime Video, you already have Alexa. As of May 2018, vehicles from BMW, Kia, Lexus, Ford, Mini, Jeep, Ram, Genesis, Hyundai, Infiniti, Jaguar, Mercedes, Mitsubishi, Toyota, and Nissan all have Alexa capability in some way, shape, or form.