Sponsored

Fmc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 wrangler, 2023 R1S
Here we go:
https://eletric-vehicles.com/rivian...new-features-and-upgrades-for-gen-1-vehicles/

Over the last few days, Rivian‘s Vice President of Software Wassym Bensaid took to Reddit to address questions and provide updates on the company’s Gen 1 vehicles, assuring owners that their cars will continue to receive significant improvements through over-the-air (OTA) updates, even as Gen 2 models boast enhanced features.

The electric vehicle maker has introduced last week the second generation of its R1 models, featuring several upgrades under the hood that improve performance, safety, or infotainment.

In his responses, Bensaid confirmed that the highly anticipated launch mode, which enables a 0-60 mph acceleration in just 2.5 seconds, will be available for Gen 1 vehicles.

This feature, already lauded in Gen 2 models, showcases Rivian’s dedication to performance across its lineup.

Addressing questions about Apple and Google Watch integration, Bensaid explained that while Gen 2 vehicles benefit from ultra-wideband (UWB) technology for a comprehensive experience, Gen 1 vehicles may only receive limited support through Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE). This approach, though feasible, would result in reduced functionality and increased power consumption.

Responding to community feedback on ambient lighting, Bensaid announced plans to introduce this feature to Gen 1 vehicles. However, he noted that the controls for Gen 1 will not be as sophisticated as those in the Gen 2 models.

Bensaid also reassured users that Rivian will continue to improve the Driver+ system in Gen 1 vehicles. While some new features will remain exclusive to Gen 2 due to advanced hardware requirements, ongoing enhancements to existing functionalities are in the pipeline for Gen 1.

On the safety front, Bensaid confirmed that blind spot monitoring is slated for release in Gen 1 vehicles soon, addressing a critical user request. Furthermore, an upcoming OTA update will bring Dolby Atmos support to Gen 1, enriching the in-car audio experience.

Rivian will also introduce native support for streaming services such as Apple Music, Spotify, and Tidal via its Connect+ platform, leveraging both vehicle connectivity and an impending phone tethering feature.

Regarding cost optimisation for the refreshed models, the chief executive RJ Scaringe has recently shared that the company was able to reduce the components in the battery pack from 41 to 16.

In late April, Bensaid hosted a Q&A event in San Jose, where he showcased Rivian’s latest models, the R2 and R3X. During this event, he discussed the forthcoming facelifts for the Rivian R1 models and introduced several new features and upgrades.

At the time, Bensaid confirmed that video streaming will be available via an OTA update this summer, along with Rivian’s new connectivity packages. These packages will include additional Driver+ features, further enhancing the driving experience.

The refreshed R1S features a chiseled front light bar, reminiscent of the smaller R2 and R3 models, blacked-out badges, silver brake calipers, and new wheel designs.

Rivian CEO RJ Scaringe attended on Wednesday the Bernstein’s Annual Conference in New York where he revealed that the R3, expected to be launched in early 2026, will be priced at “mid to high $30,000s”.

In the same interview, the chief executive acknowledged that from an investor’s perspective, the second quarter will appear less favorable due to the plant shutdown in April. The suspension lasted four weeks, significantly impacting production at the plant in Normal, Illinois.
Sponsored

MrMusAddict

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Data Analyst
Bensaid also reassured users that Rivian will continue to improve the Driver+ system in Gen 1 vehicles. While some new features will remain exclusive to Gen 2 due to advanced hardware requirements, ongoing enhancements to existing functionalities are in the pipeline for Gen 1.
I'm very curious to know how Rivian exactly defines an "enhanced feature" versus a "new feature".

There's a few different aspects of Driver+ which I would consider a bug, and addressing it would be an enhancement to me. But I expect Rivian sees the functionality gap, and addressing it would be a new feature to them.

If enhancements are limited to "Fixed an issue where in rare cases [...]", then that will be disappointing.

Last edited:

Chewy734

First Name
Ashu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW, Ford, Rivian
Clubs

This is fantastic news for current R1 owners! I appreciate that he took time to answer these questions instead of allowing to continue speculating on what they might do.

Also, I’ll take my loaded R3X for mid $40Ks now. 😁

IGR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
I make things
Clubs

In his responses, Bensaid confirmed that the highly anticipated launch mode, which enables a 0-60 mph acceleration in just 2.5 seconds, will be available for Gen 1 vehicles.
The wording makes it sound that 2.5 seconds 0-60 are coming to Gen1, I'm pretty sure its not lol

Sponsored

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

This is fantastic news for current R1 owners! I appreciate that he took time to answer these questions instead of allowing to continue speculating on what they might do.

Also, I’ll take my loaded R3X for mid $40Ks now. 😁
I think R3X will end up mid 50s not counting tax breaks, but that will still be pretty hard to pass on given the anticipated performance specs.

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S PDM MP, 2019 Jaguar I-Pace HSE
This is the link to original reddit thread if you don't want to deal with the (probably) generative AI article in the OP:

Noplacelikeloam

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Creative management
Clubs

So what do we have;

Confirmed
  1. Enhanced graphics and UI
Maybe and not clearly confirmed
  1. Limited ambient light options
  2. Launch mode
  3. Blind spot monitoring
Future confirmed
  1. Casting
  2. Streaming services such as Apple Music, Spotify, and Tidal via its Connect+ platform

Lots of maybe's and "this summer". :) What did I miss?

racekarl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
So what do we have;

Maybe and not clearly confirmed
  1. Limited ambient light options
  2. Launch mode
  3. Blind spot monitoring
  4. Enhanced graphics and UI
Future confirmed
  1. Casting
  2. Streaming services such as Apple Music, Spotify, and Tidal via its Connect+ platform

Lots of maybe's and "this summer". :) What did I miss?
I would not even put launch mode into a maybe bucket. In the software world "I take the feedback about XYZ feature" really means "I get that you want that feature, and maybe I even underestimated how much you want that feature, but it's not on my roadmap and I have no real plans to deliver it."

Last edited:

Sponsored

Noplacelikeloam

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Creative management
Clubs

Gen 2 is nice but I fell I am not missing anything on a Gen 1 I picked up 2 weeks ago. Still happy living the vehicle Apple Music is a plus...just need to do texting from infotainment and I am a super happy man..
Now the hype is settling down, I'm realizing my G1 Quad R1T is a steal for the price I paid.

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

The problem with Launch Mode in Gen 1 is the tires will be top-end limited again. The ONLY exciting thing about Launch Mode in Gen 2 (to me) is that with the Staggered 22's you can run a full 1/4 mile (supposedly at 130mph).
Sponsored