Sponsored

Warranty coverage - battery, compressor, seats, center console, armrest, etc...?

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Jeez, all you grandmas need to start a knitting circle or something. So much anxiety over nothing.
then maybe we’d have a sweater for the Rivians.

“storing“ the vehicle at -31 fahrehoots without access to charging is a very real concern.

although with it being +31 degrees Celsius here today, and running the AC, at a time of year when I’m usually arguing with my wife about wether or not to turn on the furnace…maybe winter won’t be a big deal in coming years ?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Cactus

Cactus

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Feb 2014 Tesla Model S, June 2023 R1S
Occupation
Professor
Clubs

Also don’t like this concept but I was wondering if they intend to do some things in software to offer something new, like fan oscillation, which wouldn’t be possible without motorized vent louvers. (For the record, I have never felt the need for oscillation in a car but maybe it’s nice???)
I had a Mazda 626 once (1988?) that had oscillating vents. I know I just complained about the unnecessary electric stuff providing solutions to problems that didn't exist– and could break, but I loved those Mazda oscillating vents and wondered why others didn't copy them.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
-30 F windchill happens a lot. -30 F actual is really freaking cold
Right. I actually don't think I can recall hitting a true -30F other than maybe one particularly cold streak over 6 years.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Right. I actually don't think I can recall hitting a true -30F other than maybe one particularly cold streak over 6 years.
In related news I am opening a seasonal, artisanal, outdoor cryotherapy spa, it’s called “my back yard in January and February“. It only operates below -25c. Clients are locked outside for 5 minutes wearing nothing but mittens and slippers.

Last edited:

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
UI only... I mean, you can do it by hand... and then strip out the cute little motors/gears that mange those louvers...
Reminds me of "Escalator temporarily stairs"....

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Before the "they'll just pry it open" crowd shows up - most car prowls are smash and grab.
So you think thief’s will smash a window but be thwarted by a flimsy center console? I’m going to go with “no”.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
So you think thief’s will smash a window but be thwarted by a flimsy center console? I’m going to go with “no”.
Yes? (Or at least, likely enough that it's worth a shot.) They probably brought a tool to smash the window. They probably didn't bring a crowbar. If they can't defeat the lock in a few seconds of manual force, they'll move on.

The whole deal with car prowls is that it's about taking obviously valuable items from easy targets.

Yes, electric motors are a point of failure. But if you don't trust electric motors, you might be buying the wrong car.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Yes? (Or at least, likely enough that it's worth a shot.) They probably brought a tool to smash the window. They probably didn't bring a crowbar. If they can't defeat the lock in a few seconds of manual force, they'll move on.
Probably don’t need a crowbar. Just grab and pull. Regular human strength is all that’s needed for that sort of thing. They don’t care about breaking anything.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
I wonder what constitutes "storing" will it have to be actively driven or plugged in constantly at these temps? It's a distinct possibility that northern owners could be ice fishing, cross country skiing, winter adventuring, or just at work with no place to plug in for a day in these temperatures.
I guess ironically global warming may solve this problem for us, and maybe before Rivian gets vehicles out in large numbers... just trying to look on the bright side!
Didn't the manual say for a certain period of days?

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
That stinks. I would guess it uses power to heat the pack, within reason, but obviously it can't do that endlessly.
Someone contacted CS after I mentioned it as well, and it sounds like the intent is to not let it sit in the cold long enough that the batteries drains to the point thst it can't manage itself. (Ie, don't let it sit at 0 in the cold)
Sponsored