Sponsored

Warranty coverage - battery, compressor, seats, center console, armrest, etc...?

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
Agreed.

Your battery will try and keep itself at a somewhat "optimal" temp, this is why if you park an EV and leave it unplugged for too long, you are coming back to a brick (well, one of a few reasons, but a big one).

I think that is their fear and why they make it clear "unplugged" for the long term storage thing. I would generally advise anyone that won't be driving their EV for a week or more to make sure you have it plugged in, just in general.
Bolt owners may not want to leave their EV's on to charge in the attached garage while vacationing.
sorry couldn't resist adding this in there.
Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Not worried, because portable charger plugged into a block heater outlet should count. My worst case scenario is parking at the airport for a week in February or something. ?

same as any other battery, if it freezes…. SOL.
yeah, I'm a little curious what "stored" means here. Does parking the truck next to a lake to go ice fishing count? Or parking at work for the day? Glad I don't live in the midwest anymore...

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
yeah, I'm a little curious what "stored" means here. Does parking the truck next to a lake to go ice fishing count? Or parking at work for the day? Glad I don't live in the midwest anymore...
In those situations the vehicle should have enough juice to keep the batteries warm.

“stored“ is broad enough that, as with most warranties, there’s tons of wiggle room to deny a claim.

I feel a chat with CS coming on. ?

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
I'd guess a week+ of it sitting around...

If letting it sit out in the cold for an hour or 8 will void your warranty, they better restrict sales...

Sponsored

Gimmeoneofeach

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Land Rover Defender 110, Range Rover HSE
Clubs

I remember seeing this too. Between this, the motorized HVAC vent adjustments, exterior “folding” door handles, etc. This stuff is completely unnecessary, offers solutions to problems nobody had, and will undoubtedly cost some owners a lot of money to fix things that should’ve never been motorized in the first place.

I love the R1T but (for me anyway) it’s a very expensive vehicle and I’d want to keep it a long time to justify the expense. But I’d be lying if all of these “gadgets” didn’t make me very nervous about the long-term reliability prospects.
The center console does not have an electric opener. It has a center latch that opens the gull-wing split doors with the press of a button under the lid. It worked very easily when I was at my First Drive experience.

mtw777

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Golf R
The center console does not have an electric opener. It has a center latch that opens the gull-wing split doors with the press of a button under the lid. It worked very easily when I was at my First Drive experience.
I’m glad to hear that. I just remember watching one of the many reviews videos that came out recently that said it was motorized.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Stored is going to mean where the battery would run down to empty if not plugged in.
that's what I thought that the intent was too. It's just so vague.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
that's what I thought that the intent was too. It's just so vague.
Customer service person I talked to today says stored means parked, but the battery management system will keep the battery healthy.

So, I take this to mean if you’re dumb enough to park at -30 for long enough that the power runs out from sitting, and damage occurs…no warranty coverage for you.

I figure a fully or mostly charged R1 will be able to keep its sensitive bits warm for a decent amount of time.

Waiting for service manual subscriptions to appear so I can find out how everything works.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Bolt owners may not want to leave their EV's on to charge in the attached garage while vacationing.
sorry couldn't resist adding this in there.
Are you trying to start a flame war?
:bandit:

Sponsored

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
I agree this is a feature that is clever just for the sake of being clever. Perhaps the only value I see is IF (and this hasn't been confirmed) the positions and on/off status are stored in your user profile and automatically change when switching drivers... But even then it's a pretty small benefit.
As a counterpoint, I love this feature in my Model Y. It makes the dashboard look super tidy and it does in fact sync to your profile.

I am pretty particular about where the airflow is and nothing frustrates me quite like when the Mrs. or a friend drives the car and I have to go rearrange four fiddly knobs to get the airflow just-so again. Having it sync to profile is bliss.

The center console armrest seemed to be electric on one of the auto journalist videos. I think that’s electric for no good reason, and what if it breaks?
There's a benefit to the electric console latch, too: It locks with the car's central lock. So if someone breaks into your Rivian at the dog park, they don't get the phone/laptop/purse you might have left in the center console. (At least not as easily).

Similar perk in the Tesla glovebox - the glovebox locks electronically so you can stash, say, a backup key or phone in there and even if someone breaks your window, they can't unlock the glovebox.

Before the "they'll just pry it open" crowd shows up - most car prowls are smash and grab. I've had multiple cars broken into, including my Model 3, and every time they just smash a window and grab anything out of unlocked compartments and run. When my Model 3 was broken into, they stole everything off of seats/console storage/door pockets, but the thousands of dollars of stuff locked in the trunk, frunk, and glovebox were all thankfully secure.

flabyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6
Occupation
Health Care
FYI for folks in cold climates, the following voids your warranty if damage occurs because of it:
"Storing the vehicle at temperatures below -31°F without being plugged into a charger."
Thankfully those days aren't too common in Southern MN, but they aren't unheard of either

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Thankfully those days aren't too common in Southern MN, but they aren't unheard of either
My first thought literally went to whether i plan to visit my inlaws in Austin in winter with the truck, and how often we got that cold in school.

MIG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius; R1S
Jeez, all you grandmas need to start a knitting circle or something. So much anxiety over nothing.

flabyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6
Occupation
Health Care
My first thought literally went to whether i plan to visit my inlaws in Austin in winter with the truck, and how often we got that cold in school.
-30 F windchill happens a lot. -30 F actual is really freaking cold
Sponsored