Warning SPARE TIRE OWNERS

Voronbrg

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Everything
Check your tools for the spare tire, I found mine rubbing the inside of the wheels. I've got 10k miles and found the tools rubbing into the metal.
Sponsored

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
Check your tools for the spare tire, I found mine rubbing the inside of the wheels. I've got 10k miles and found the tools rubbing into the metal.
I have a hard time picturing this. Do you happen to have photos?

M00v0vr

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T MY
Occupation
entrepreneur/ski race coach
How does a tool rub your spare tire? Are they simply loose in the tire area? Did you wrap them?
What kind of tool?

I wish I had this post is useless without a pic gif. I could also go to the moon with tool and rub jokes, but might offend those with spare tires...
Did you say, "rub my tool"? in my best Bevis and Butthead voice.

OP
OP

Voronbrg

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Everything
How does a tool rub your spare tire? Are they simply loose in the tire area? Did you wrap them?
What kind of tool?

I wish I had this post is useless without a pic gif. I could also go to the moon with tool and rub jokes, but might offend those with spare tires...

the jack is rubbing on the inside of the wheel, since I've driven it a lot. the paint and some metal is rubbed thru. if you have a spare check to make sure the tools and jack aren't rubbing through the wheel.

Sponsored

srazz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y and R1T
I’m assuming you only get the tools and jack if you order a spare?

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

I’m assuming you only get the tools and jack if you order a spare?
Correct. No jack pad either, even. But you do get a pack ‘o Slime in the inflator pouch. That went right in the junk drawer. On the plus side, the pouch is easier to close now.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I have a hard time picturing this. Do you happen to have photos?
If the wheel wasn't right in the center of the bin when the tool pack was tightened down, this could happen. Mine has a little bit of wear on it from that, but it's on the inside of the rim and I doubt it'll actually affect anything.

Last edited:
Reactions: Max

Eeyore

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, ID.4 Pro S, Civic, EX-L, Honda Fit
Occupation
Union Journeyman Electrician, foreman
Clubs

At least you HAVE a spare. I paid for the full size spare in my configuration, but it wasn't delivered with the truck. Delivery guy said it would be shipped to the service center. When?

Rivian is probably holding back the spares to use as regular wheels on truck builds.

I also want the all season floor mats I payed for.

jerseyff

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T; mazdaspeed3
Occupation
IT
My tools weren't rubbing; I retightened all 4 velcro strips across the metal tools to make sure they didn't budge. I am going to find something robust and not metal to put on the end of the tool in the event it does come loose.

The block that goes on top of the jack had slid out of the rails of the tool cover so I put a quick piece of tape on it to keep it in place.

Here is what I saw when I opened my spare compartment...

Rivian R1T R1S Warning SPARE TIRE OWNERS 20220626_182121

At least you HAVE a spare. I paid for the full size spare in my configuration, but it wasn't delivered with the truck. Delivery guy said it would be shipped to the service center. When?
I took delivery without my spare, I immediately opened a service ticket and the ATL SC delivered and installed the following week.

Sponsored

AltaTruck

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda RX8, R1T, Alta EXR (road) , Alta EXR (woods)
Occupation
Retired Science teacher
I had seen a potential for wear so I had several sizes of motorcycle inner tubes I cut and slid over the ends to protect from scuffing. It has worked so far.

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer

Rivian is probably holding back the spares to use as regular wheels on truck builds.

The same thing happened to me. My truck also doesn't include the spare tire payload even though i had a spare from the beginning. I called the service center and they told me an order was already placed for the spare tire and once it arrives, someone will come to the house to install it.

Jamuso

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ridgeline
Occupation
Sr software engineer - manager

Put in a ticket for the spare. That's what i did. At least gets you in line (maybe a lower priority)....

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

I'm getting my full size spare and tools installed tomorrow at the SC.....3 1/2 months and 6,500 miles later......
Sponsored