Wall-Mounted Charge Station?

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Why not just plug your car directly into the NEMA 14-50 outlet and save the $650? This is what I did for my Tesla. Just left my cable in the garage plugged into the outlet since I seldom needed the cable.
Tesla provides a portable EVSE that can plug into 240V
Rivian may or may not (the website has it both ways I think)
Tax credits and rebates bring the final price down. The main benefit to me is being able to set the EVSE to charge during off-peak times. Off-peak electric rate for me are 1/3 of the peak rate.

I'll install 50 amp circuit with a NEMA 12-50 receptacle at my son's house and use the cable to charge there when I visit.
You will almost certainly be able to set a charge schedule in your Rivian app, but a "smart" EVSE can have other advantages as well. Integration with utility programs is one example.

The Chargepoint can provide the full 48A the Rivian will utilize if hardwired to a 60A circuit, or 40A from a 14-50. Portable cord sets will provide 32A from a 14-50. There is no NEMA 40A receptacle, so those are also wired with a 50A outlet and the EVSE will likely be sized to a 40A circuit. The 1st gen Tesla portable EVSE did draw 40A, but subsequent versions are limited to 32A on a 14-50.
Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Some sort of EVSE is required. You have to interface the vehicle to the building wiring somehow. The EVSE must have the minimum functionality as required by NEC (e.g. Tesla's Universal Mobiie Connector) but it can have bells and whistles too.