Wall chargers

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
Through our local power company, we can get a $500 rebate for a level 2 charger purchase - Either Juicebox or Chargepoint Home.

Total out of pocket would be ~$250 after tax etc. You also get a yearly $50 credit for only charging between certain hours at night.

Do you think installing a level 2 charge at home is worth the $250? So far, I've never needed anything more than the portable charger, but I'm always interested in a good deal.
Rocky Mountain Power in UT was only offering $200 against a set list of chargers. Rivian nor Wallbox (the manufacturer of the Rivian charger) was on the list. But at $500, the Rivia. Charger was still a better deal than, say, the Juciebox 48 amp which was on the list but retails for $750. So I went with the Rivian charger.
Sponsored

fallen888

First Name
Kon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure, El Cap/black, power tonneau, 21"
Occupation
IT
Clubs

If you are plugging the mobile "charger" into the outlet you are only getting 32 A. You can get 40A out of this receptacle but you will have to buy a 40A plug in charger. Tesla sells their 40A "Corded Mobile Connector" for $200 but it is, like most of the others, out of stock at the moment. You will also need a Tesla to J1772 adapter. There are other manufacturers but $200 is pretty cheap.
So you're saying the 16 mi/hr limitation is in the Rivian mobile charger cable? So if I use one of these with my old Tesla mobile charger, I'll get a faster charge rate (closer to 30 mi/hr)? Just confirming that I understand this correctly before I buy one of these adapters..
Rivian R1T R1S Wall chargers Screenshot_20220601-122501

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
So you're saying the 16 mi/hr limitation is in the Rivian mobile charger cable? So if I use one of these with my old Tesla mobile charger, I'll get a faster charge rate (closer to 30 mi/hr)? Just confirming that I understand this correctly before I buy one of these adapters..
Screenshot_20220601-122501.png
You’re not getting 30mph L2 charge rate on a Rivian regardless Of how you rig it. I’m pulling the max that the truck will support, 48amps, and gettin 21-22 mph charge rate.

I can’t say what rate you can get from that adapter and a Tesla mobile charger, but will say that you shouldn’t be pulling more than 32 amps continuous in that setup for safety reason. That would equate to 16 mph charge rate on the Rivian.

An in cae you’re not aware, you can’t compare “mph” charge rates from one EV model another because it’s based on that particular model’s consumption rate in addition to the amount of juice being fed into it. So a 30mph charge rate on a Tesla might only be 22mph on a Rivian for the same amount of juice being fed into the battery.

Last edited:

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Not quite. It is the programming resistor in the 14-50P adapter fhat plugs into the Rivian portable EVSE that tells the truck that it can only have 32A. The 14-50P adapter for the Tesla UMC also programs the EVSE for 32 A. This is done out of abundance of caution because it is legal to put a 14-50R recptacle on a 40 A circuit even though it unusual, Thus if you buy the Tesla to J1772 adapter and put it on your Tesla UMC you will get the same result: 32 A.

You must obtain an EVSE with a 14-50P plug that is programmed to allow 40 A. There are several of these on the market including the Tesla "Corded Mobile Connector". This is not the same as the Tesla Universal Mobile Connector. It does not accept adapters. It has a permanently wired pigtail with 14-50P plug. It will tell the car it can have 40A. It is your responsibility to see to it that the receptacle you plug it into is wired to a 50A circuit.

At 32 A the truck will get 0.9*32*240 = 6912 W. With a consumption of 500 Wh/mi you would get 13.8 miles range added per hour charging.

At 40 A the truck will get 0.9*40*240 = 8640 W which, at 500 Wh/mi translates to 17.3 miles per hour. Not a whole lot more but appreciable.

Last edited:

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
I can’t say what rate you can get from that adapter and a Tesla mobile charger, but will say that you shouldn’t be pulling more than 32 amps continuous in that setup for safety reason.
That adapter is rated for 40A so you can use it with a Tesla UMC ot a Tesla Corded Mobile Connector or any other 40 amp EVSE, plug in or hardwired. If the circuit is a 50A circuit such that 40A is allowed he will get 40/32 times as many mph as he does with the Rivian mobile.

Sponsored

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
@ajdelange I think there are a few typos in here that you may want to correct for clarity:

Not quite. It is the programming resistor in the 14-50P adapter fhat plugs into the Rivian portable EVSE that tells the truck that it can only have 32A. The 145-50P adapter for the Tesla UMC also programs the EVSE for 32 A. This is done out of abundance of caution because it is legal to put a 14-50R recptacle on a 14 A circuit even though it unusual, Thus if you buy the Tesla to J1772 adapter and put it on your Tesla UMC you will get the same result: 32 A.

You must obtain an EVSE with a 14-50P plug that is programmed to allow 40 A. There are several of these on the market including the Tesla "Corded Mobile Connector". This is not the same as the Tesla Universal Mobile Connector. It does not accept adapters. It has a permanently wired pigtail with 14-50P plug. It will tell the car it can have 40A. It is your responsibility to see to it that the receptacle you plug it into is wired to a 60A circuit.

At 32 A the truck will get 0.9*32*240 = 6912 W. With a consumption of 500 Wh/mi you would get 13.8 miles range added per hour charging.

At 40 A the truck will get 0.9*40*240 = 8640 W which, at 500 Wh/mi translates to 17.3 miles per hour. Not a whole lot more but appreciable.

KeithPleas

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus GX, Porsche Boxster
Technically the code only calls for a GFCI breaker if you specifically tell the electrician you are using the outlet for car charging. Just say it’s for a welder or “tools” or punch it in yourself 😉. There is no GFCI retrofit required if you decide to plug your car into your “welder outlet”

There are also 3rd party portable 14-50 chargers that go up to 40A. Maybe do one 14-50 and one hardwired charger.
I just went through this with the electrician doing my install (going to put a 100amp subpanel in the garage). In WA state by making this an EV install (panel, junction, etc) it's exempt from 10% sales tax. I'm adding a couple of outlets in the garage and have to pay tax on just the delta for them.

So a non-GFCI outlet would not pass inspection for an EV installation. And since most plug-in chargers have GFCIs as well, this (per electrician and verified with a quick Google search) results in a LOT of false-GFCI trips.

So I pivoted to hardwired, non-GFCI, and added the Rivian charger to my order.
Sponsored