First Name
Silva
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, R1T, KTM 1290
Occupation
Tech Consulting
My Rivian Wall Charger worked fine for two months and a few weeks ago started tripping the 50 Amp breaker. It would charge for about 7-10kWh then trip the breaker

As per Rivian’s advice, I moved down from 48Amps to 40 Amps using the dip switches in the charger, but still experience the same issue.

My electrician who installed the unit came out and could not find an issue with the circuit. I assume he checked for a short circuit. I sent pictures of my panel and charger guts to Rivian and waiting to hear back from them.

The vehicle charges with no issue with my Tesla Wall charger with a Vectron adaptor.

Any thought/suggestions appreciated.
Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I’m no electrician but if he checked the circuit I would say it has to be an issue with the charger itself.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

If you were running 48A on a 50A breaker for quite some time, replace the breaker, you probably weakened it.

OP
OP
ccmun

ccmun

First Name
Silva
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, R1T, KTM 1290
Occupation
Tech Consulting
If you were running 48A on a 50A breaker for quite some time, replace the breaker, you probably weakened it.
Thanks. Replace with another 50 Amp breaker or 60Amp?

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

Thanks. Replace with another 50 Amp breaker or 60Amp?
Depends on your wiring. If you have 8 gauge wiring replace it with a 50 amp breaker. If you have 6 gauge wiring, you should be able to upgrade to 60 amp.

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
A licensed electrician installed it and left it configured for 48A on a 50A breaker? I’d fire that electrician and find someone else to check it all over.

OP
OP
ccmun

ccmun

First Name
Silva
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, R1T, KTM 1290
Occupation
Tech Consulting
Depends on your wiring. If you have 8 gauge wiring replace it with a 50 amp breaker. If you have 6 gauge wiring, you should be able to upgrade to 60 amp.
Thanks@bd5400!

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Depends on the type of wire as well not only size. If it is Romex 6 gauge, you can only go to 55 amp. If it is Romex 8 gauge it is only rated at 40 amps. You need THHN or equivalent 75 degrees c or higher to put 50 amp on 8 gauge. You need THHN or equivalent 75 degrees c or higher to put 60 amp on 6 gauge.

I agree with @CommodoreAmiga if the licensed electrician set it like that, I would higher another one to come in and check the rest of the work. I would also complain to the city that the inspector did not catch that on final inspection.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Depends on the type of wire as well not only size. If it is Romex 6 gauge, you can only go to 55 amp. If it is Romex 8 gauge it is only rated at 40 amps. You need THHN or equivalent 75 degrees c or higher to put 50 amp on 8 gauge. You need THHN or equivalent 75 degrees c or higher to put 60 amp on 6 gauge.

I agree with @CommodoreAmiga if the licensed electrician set it like that, I would higher another one to come in and check the rest of the work. I would also complain to the city that the inspector did not catch that on final inspection.
If it's not a real breaker size NEC lets you go to the next size up breaker, but you'd have to limit the EVSE to 55A*.8, which I don't think the Rivian one supports.

Last edited:

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer
Is it a GFCI or AFCI breaker? EVSE equipment are known to trip them. I had to explain this to my electrician and inspector when I got mine done last year. At first the Inspector wanted to insist on the GFCI since that is code in my area. After looking it up, he passed the circuit without the GFCI because it was driving the EVSE hard-wired. I just noticed over the summer that our local code has been amended to put a caveat for circuits that will drive EVSEs to omit the requirement for the GFCI breaker.

https://qmerit.com/blog/nema-14-50-and-gfci-breakers-connecting-ev-charging-stations/

Sponsored

OP
OP
ccmun

ccmun

First Name
Silva
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, R1T, KTM 1290
Occupation
Tech Consulting
Is it a GFCI or AFCI breaker? EVSE equipment are known to trip them. I had to explain this to my electrician and inspector when I got mine done last year. At first the Inspector wanted to insist on the GFCI since that is code in my area. After looking it up, he passed the circuit without the GFCI because it was driving the EVSE hard-wired. I just noticed over the summer that our local code has been amended to put a caveat for circuits that will drive EVSEs to omit the requirement for the GFCI breaker.

https://qmerit.com/blog/nema-14-50-and-gfci-breakers-connecting-ev-charging-stations/
Its does not have GFCI breaker.

OP
OP
ccmun

ccmun

First Name
Silva
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, R1T, KTM 1290
Occupation
Tech Consulting

Thanks @SANZC02. Appreciate the feedback. You guys are enlightening me!!

Ripped

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Dual Max
Occupation
-
It can depend on a number of things, starting with the quality of the breaker panel. There are some (budget ones) that are just $#!tty.

Conductor size, Length of conductor, (bad) connections, all the way to the charger itself

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
If it's not a real breaker size NEC lets you go to the next size up breaker, but you'd have to limit the EVSE to 55A*.8, which I don't think the Rivian one supports.
That is true but if you do that without somehow labeling it people will think it is a 60 amp circuit and not a 55 amp circuit. Potential downstream issue. They do make 55 amp breakers, just a matter of if a person can find one for their panel.

Rivian does not have a 44 amp setting. Emporium makes an EV charger that you can set to 44 amps.

Bigger issue for him is the electrician put in a 50 amp breaker and set the charger for 48 amp draw.

tosehee

First Name
Se Hee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I am in the similar boat. I got Rivian Wall charger with 60amp + 6 gauge wire installed. If I charge at 48amp, it charges for 1+ hour, then it shuts down with solid Red status.

If I charge at 40amp, it seems to be more stable, but happens randomly.

I called the Rivian Support, and the person at charging department said that it could be my breaker. I replaced with same 60 amp breaker and tried to charge at 48amp, and it just tripped again..

What could be at fault here?
Sponsored