kyunam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 LS 400, 2023 Rivian R1S
Occupation
not sure what I'm doing
Clubs

Qmerit quote says $1,100 for a small house (1,850 sq.ft interior) with attached garage.
Sounds normal?
Sponsored

nukem384

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3/Rivian R1S
Could be? All depends on how far the charger is from your panel. If it's really close, around $500. And it can go up from there. Honestly, any licensed electrician can do this for you. Going with whoever Rivian recommends is just a money grab for those companies TBH.

pdxgibby

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Karmann Ghia EV, Tesla M3, eGolf, R1T, Power Hawk
Occupation
Software Engineer
It all depends on existing wiring, location of charger, etc. Some of the biggest costs are in running conduit to a location that is far from your panel. That adds labor costs too. I would say installing it immediately next to your panel, with just a new breaker and 6AWG wire would cost about $300-$400. If you have to do a 50' run of conduit, etc. costs could easily go up as high as $1500.

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
Qmerit wanted $2,000 and claimed the panel was on the other side of the house from the garage even though it is directly below the garage. It was impossible to get a human to reply when I contacted them to inform it that its estimator (must use EXIF geography data) was wrong as the panel was less than 20 feet from where I wanted it installed.

I went with a local guy who was cheaper and more professional than Qmerit.

steelwheels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 3
Clubs

I paid for all supplies myself and had a friend install it. It was about $200 for 40’ 6 awg wire, $100 for outdoor flex conduit, and he charged me $300 for installation.

Sponsored

MIG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius; R1S
Our panel was 60' from the garage wall mounting location, accessible via (dusty) crawlspace. Our electrician charged $850 for 6AWG and a 50Amp circuit. Took about an hour and a half. We were both happy with the outcome.

nrrasmussen

First Name
Nicole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S; Audi All-road Wagon; Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Consultant
Clubs

Q-merit charged me $1,350 to install on the opposite side of my 2-car garage from the panel - they had to cut into the sheetrock in 4 places to conceal the wires (my request), and the cost did not cover making that look pretty again ;) In retrospect, given that Q-merit just farms their work out to local companies who then likewise farm the work out to an independent contractor, I should have just gone directly to the independent contractor. Hindsight..............................

Lucanjo

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Genesis G80, Honda Ridgeline, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

As others have mentioned it depends on your situation. Qmerit was around $1800, I had another electrician quote $1650. Ultimately went with an electrician who quoted $950, did a great job. Was about 60’ of 6AWG through a the mostly unfinished portion of my basement, a 60amp breaker and a short piece of conduit. Whole job took less than 2 hrs.

protamine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LG R1S, 992 GTS
Occupation
CT Surgery
Mine is opposite side of a 7000 ft house and was quoted at 2200. Work will be done next week. Company I've had do electric work 2x this year. I think they look up your value on Zillow, know its electric and make the price up. Oh well, they do quality work.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

Qmerit quote says $1,100 for a small house (1,850 sq.ft interior) with attached garage.
Sounds normal?
Thats right about what I paid. My electric panel is in the garage, they hooked up my charger within a couple feet of it. I tried a couple local places first, who didn't call back.

When I tried with Q-merit, I was matched with a semi-local electrician who happened to be doing work in my area. I get the impression Q-merit is just a match service, contractors sign up with them, and can browse customers in a general area, and then the contractor provides a quote, and Qmerit probably takes a percentage or flat fee from that. And in return, Qmerit provides some sort of "standards" that it will be installed properly and you won't be ripped off. Just contacting a local contractor may be cheaper, but in my case, a couple didn't bother returning my calls. When I applied through Qmerit, guy called me in 15 minutes, and was at my house installing it the next day.

Sponsored

Tucker74

First Name
Tucker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Go with a licensed electrician, there is nothing special about a circuit for a wall charger. The specs are all included in the installation manual, the EV specific companies charge more for the same work. I got mine installed for $400, but as others have stated panel capacity and location can greatly increase the cost. Good luck!

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
I did mine myself it cost 200 dollars in material and took me less than an hour to run the wire and stuff. My uncle did the final connections though, because I didn't want to burn my house down.

Underwhirled

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, RIT
Occupation
Architect
Qmerit hooked me up with an electrician that came out and installed the needed 60 amp breaker and installed the wall charger all for $800. The installer placed it right next to the electrical panel in the garage, so there weren’t any long runs, etc.

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Sounds normal?
pretty normal. I had a pretty basic install running about 60ft of cable and conduit and mine was $1300 to install.
Sponsored