First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC70; 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
Just confirmed my order - my Rivian is a tight fit in garage and my wife’s SUV is current inhabitant of the garage. I’m thinking I may install the Rivian charger inside the garage and try to run the charger cable under the garage door and out to truck. Im planning to add about 1/2 inch seal to door and notch out for the cable to run under for charging truck in driveway.

Anyone done something similar? Any suggestions?
You just described what I used to do with my XC90 T8 once we moved into our home on the Oregon Coast. It's also what I plan to do with my R1T unless we manage to rearrange the garage. At first I did not notch the sealing strip and that allowed some rainwater to come in (who am I kidding - it's Oregon - it was a LOT of rainwater). Notching the strip stopped the bulk of that from happening. Once the R1T arrives I will install a new strip and notch where it is most practical.
Sponsored

NooterIA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
was a 2019 Ram
Occupation
IT Stuff
@GOFAST -- I do the same thing at our cabin. Charger is inside and truck is outside. I just plug the truck in and shut the garage door as most have the rubber seal at the bottom and will still close fine with the cable under it without smashing it. I did NOT cut a notch out of the seal strip.

GOFAST

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX, Acura TLX, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
@GOFAST -- I do the same thing at our cabin. Charger is inside and truck is outside. I just plug the truck in and shut the garage door as most have the rubber seal at the bottom and will still close fine with the cable under it without smashing it. I did NOT cut a notch out of the seal strip.
great! Thanks for the info/advice

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Just confirmed my order - my Rivian is a tight fit in garage and my wife’s SUV is current inhabitant of the garage. I’m thinking I may install the Rivian charger inside the garage and try to run the charger cable under the garage door and out to truck. Im planning to add about 1/2 inch seal to door and notch out for the cable to run under for charging truck in driveway.

Anyone done something similar? Any suggestions?
That is basically my plan for when we replace my wife's ICE vehicle with an EV. I'm going to use an oscillating multi-tool to cut the side trim about 1" higher so I can tuck the charging cord under the trim and the door will still close.

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
So what you're saying is that you're Not-A-Notcher?

Sponsored

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
I'm hoping to do the same thing but without cutting a hole. I have a full hose under the garage door right now so I'm hoping that the charging cable isn't much bigger and the garage door still closes.

Phrogz

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
phrogz.net
Vehicles
'66 Ford Jeep, '01 SLK 32AMG, '10 Wrangler, '19 Q7
Occupation
Autonomous Driving Software
[...] my Rivian is a tight fit in garage and my wife’s SUV is current inhabitant of the garage. I’m thinking I may install the Rivian charger inside the garage and try to run the charger cable under the garage door and out to truck.
The R1T will not even fit in my garage. (It would have, just barely, if I hadn't installed a workshop bench along the back. :p)

Because the Rivian charger is designed for outdoor (or indoor) use, I plan on mounting my charger outside the garage, pulling power along the interior garage wall and out through it at the right spot. Is this an option for you? Hang the charger on the outside of the garage, so the cable is always outside and you don't have to mess with the door?

NooterIA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
was a 2019 Ram
Occupation
IT Stuff
So what you're saying is that you're Not-A-Notcher?
I choose my notches wisely. Notches in our cabin garage door is just one really easy way in for bugs, mice or even the ultimate deal breaker for my wife, snakes.

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
I choose my notches wisely. Notches in our cabin garage door is just one really easy way in for bugs, mice or even the ultimate deal breaker for my wife, snakes.
Good point. Sane wife = good. Cray cray wife due to snake sighting = not so good. It's a very good thing we live on the Oregon coast. Although even a garter snake would freak mine out.

Sponsored

psklenar

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T

Phrogz

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
phrogz.net
Vehicles
'66 Ford Jeep, '01 SLK 32AMG, '10 Wrangler, '19 Q7
Occupation
Autonomous Driving Software
I saw this when searching for Rivian related items on Etsy recently
A convenient holds-the-door-open-for-snakes-and-mice bridge? Nice! ;)

Bobthebuilder352

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kubota
Occupation
Farmer
That's the kind of attitude that gets people killed. Nice. Real nice. "Bob the Builder", eh? 🙄😡
Lol. There’s code and there’s stupid construction. Not all code is safety related and building 100% to code doesn’t mean it’s safe either. If you don’t understand that then you should definitely not DIY, bro.

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

Lol. There’s code and there’s stupid construction. Not all code is safety related and building 100% to code doesn’t mean it’s safe either. If you don’t understand that then you should definitely not DIY, bro.
I'm not your "bro". Have a good day.

NC-Rivian

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LA Silver R1T
Occupation
Sales
Can anyone comment the charge speed in the truck after installing the Rivian charger?

I installed my charger yesterday with a new 60A breaker, 6/3 Romex (@$7.49 per foot!) and after plugging in the truck I see it says 48A but the charging speed ramped up to 18 and then was fluctuating between 16 and 18 never going above 19 miles added per hour. I only left it plugged in for a few min and will try again today.

Thanks in advance.
60A breaker, #6 wire (I think), pulling 48A: adding 25-27 miles per hour for at least 4 hours last evening.
Sponsored