sac602

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4Runner, Lexus NX Hybrid
Clubs

So post #92 suggested this cable https://www.wireandcableyourway.com/6-3c-thhn-pvc-tray-cable-with-ground... I'm confused if this can run along unfinished basement ceiling (not in conduit like all the existing house wiring) Then go through wall into conduit for a few feet up to charger location in garage . I read some posts said this type of wire cannot go into conduit. My plan was to run wire then have electrician come and check it out / get permit.

Rivian R1T R1S Wall charger installation at home - suggestions and recommendations? ⚡️⚡️ 20220611_154718

Rivian R1T R1S Wall charger installation at home - suggestions and recommendations? ⚡️⚡️ 20220611_184507

Last edited:

EVerywhere

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
C8 Corvette, Cayenne, Mk8 GTI, KTM 350-XCFW
Occupation
Technology
Clubs

Your install is similar to mine: 56’ run across basement to garage. I’m using 4 AWG THHN for lives and 8 AWG for ground (due to voltage drop, and a little future proofing) in 1” EMT conduit with 1” Flex conduit at each end. I’ll post more photos as I get time to work on this.
Rivian R1T R1S Wall charger installation at home - suggestions and recommendations? ⚡️⚡️ 50836D93-116C-49EB-A78B-EE93908F29B7

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
So post #92 suggested this cable https://www.wireandcableyourway.com/6-3c-thhn-pvc-tray-cable-with-ground... I'm confused if this can run along unfinished basement ceiling (not in conduit like all the existing house wiring) Then go through wall into conduit for a few feet up to charger location in basement
I'm a little confused too. Art. 336.10(9) says you can run it in one and two family dwellings but you must install it in accordance with the requirements of Art. 334 part II which says you must treat it as you would type NM which means that you can't use the 60° ampacity ratings (unless you are going to a generator - Art 336) which I interpret as meaning that No. 6 would have to be in a raceway (conduit)so it qualifies under Art. 336.10(c).

chrismc

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
r1t
Your install is similar to mine: 56’ run across basement to garage. I’m using 4 AWG THHN for lives and 8 AWG for ground (due to voltage drop, and a little future proofing) in 1” EMT conduit with 1” Flex conduit at each end. I’ll post more photos as I get time to work on this.
50836D93-116C-49EB-A78B-EE93908F29B7.jpeg
This is a much better solution than the tray cable. These are high amperage conductors and I’d feel much more comfortable with them protected in solid or flex conduit. At OP’s length of 60-70’, voltage drop starts to become an issue and going to 4-gauge for the conductors is a good choice.

Sponsored

NooterIA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
was a 2019 Ram
Occupation
IT Stuff
Just an update on my project status.. I've since went to our city building and passed the home owners electrical exam so I qualify for doing electrical work at my own house along with filing for a permit. I spoke to one of the city electrical inspectors for a while on this car charger setup/permit. Told him I'm using 6/2 NM and using the white (typically neutral) as a conductor as well. Said no problems with the wire or how I'm going to use it, just make sure to tape off the white wire on both sides in either black or red to identify it's a hot wire.

The wire is run, breaker is installed and I'm just about to call for my inspection.

The truck is supposed to be here tomorrow! :party:

chrismc

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
r1t
Just an update on my project status.. I've since went to our city building and passed the home owners electrical exam so I qualify for doing electrical work at my own house along with filing for a permit. I spoke to one of the city electrical inspectors for a while on this car charger setup/permit. Told him I'm using 6/2 NM and using the white (typically neutral) as a conductor as well. Said no problems with the wire or how I'm going to use it, just make sure to tape off the white wire on both sides in either black or red to identify it's a hot wire.

The wire is run, breaker is installed and I'm just about to call for my inspection.

The truck is supposed to be here tomorrow! :party:
You might want to double-check with the inspector that he caught this is a 60 amp circuit and not the much more common (for EV chargers) 50 amp. 6/2 NM-B does not meet NEC for a 60 amp circuit.

The Rivian Wall Charger is a slightly atypical EV charger installation due to the higher output, and extra attention to detail is warranted.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
Told him I'm using 6/2 NM and using the white (typically neutral) as a conductor as well. Said no problems with the wire or how I'm going to use it
That's great. If your local inspector says NM is OK, then it is OK whatever NEC says.

just make sure to tape off the white wire on both sides in either black or red to identify it's a hot wire.
That would be red as you will be using the black wire for the other hot.

Congratulations on:
A)Passing the exam
B)Getting your truck!

NooterIA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
was a 2019 Ram
Occupation
IT Stuff
@chrismc - I get that it doesn't meet the NEC for 60A circuit, the fact is the Wall Charger is only capable of pulling 48A. So that 48A is 20% of the 60A breaker and 6AWG is capable of the 65A.

I get the code and have now discussed with multiple electricians (one which I paid to come to my house) and the city inspector who will also be coming to my house to inspect it and finish up my permit.

Tommy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Raptor, 2003 HD Fatboy
50836D93-116C-49EB-A78B-EE93908F29B7.jpeg
I like the future proofing idea, but check to make sure that your EVSE terminals will accept a conductor as large as 4 AWG.

I will be installing the Rivian Wall Charger which will only accept a conductors up to 6 AWG. 4 AWG won't work for my setup. Hopefully it will for you.

Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
The Rivian Wall Charger is a slightly atypical EV charger installation due to the higher output, and extra attention to detail is warranted.
If it doesn't have a pigtail with plug i.e. if it is wall mounted then very probably rated for 60A. Examples: WallBox Pulsar; Tesla HPWC; Rivan wall charger.

chrismc

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
r1t
6AWG is capable of the 65A.
Not all 6AWG copper is the same- SOME 6AWG is rated for 60 (or greater) ampacity, but NM-B is not one of them. It maxes out at 55A due to the 60C ampacity limitation on NM-B per the NEC.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
Not all 6AWG copper is the same- SOME 6AWG is rated for 60 (or greater) ampacity, but NM-B is not one of them. It maxes out at 55A due to the 60C ampacity limitation on NM-B per the NEC.
We've been over all that here ad nauseam. The code is pretty clear that conductors of most types, including those in NM must be insualted for 90 ° even though it limits the ampacity rating of such conductors in NM to 60°, The important thing here is that his AHJ does not accept that limitation.

EVerywhere

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
C8 Corvette, Cayenne, Mk8 GTI, KTM 350-XCFW
Occupation
Technology
Clubs

I like the future proofing idea, but check to make sure that your EVSE terminals will accept a conductor as large as 4 AWG.

I will be installing the Rivian Wall Charger which will only accept a conductors up to 6 AWG. 4 AWG won't work for my setup. Hopefully it will for you.
Hmm, yes I see 6 AWG max on the Rivian EVSE hardwire. This is an issue as code (and common sense) requires the jump from 6AWG to 4AWG and even 3AWG for longer 60A runs (see https://learnmetrics.com/60-amp-wire-size/). I’m going to see if I can expand the wire holes in the EVSE, or worst case just trim some strands).

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
Do it right, Splice in a couple of short pieces of No. 6.
Sponsored