tosehee

First Name
Se Hee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Anyone having trouble with their Rivian charger. I plug it into my R1T and it charges for a few mins and then turns red and stops charging the vehicle.
I had this issue myself..

Turns out that the electrician installd the wrong wire for the ground.

I got a new guy came out and installed with right ground, and ever since then, I am getting 48amp charging at 11.7kw

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC70; 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Project Manager

I got a new guy came out and installed with right ground, and ever since then, I am getting 48amp charging at 11.7kw
Steve Jobs would be proud.

Rnrazdan

First Name
Rishi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T

Agree, but it was working well for 2-3 months without an issue, then started acting up recently...probably temporally around the most recent update. Not sure if that was happenstance, but i'll reevaluate the electrical hookups. Maybe something came loose.

Thanks for feedback.

tosehee

First Name
Se Hee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Agree, but it was working well for 2-3 months without an issue, then started acting up recently...probably temporally around the most recent update. Not sure if that was happenstance, but i'll reevaluate the electrical hookups. Maybe something came loose.

Thanks for feedback.
it worked for a month for me

Sponsored

sac602

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4Runner, Lexus NX Hybrid
Clubs

In case it helps anyone. I did the permits and install myself El Dorado County, CA (except for the connection to the panel which was done by a solar company that upgraded my panel). Here is what I used for a 75foot run. No issues with inspection.
Emporia Charger (used this one as you can sync it to their energy monitoring platform and have it feed excess solar to charger instead of back to grid). No idea if that works BC I dont have my Rivian yet.
used 6/3 MC w/ ground (just wire nutted the neutral). Did this in case I ever want to make it a 14-50 plug as others had suggested. This can be purchased $4.62/ft at Wire & Cable here: https://www.wireandcableyourway.com/6-3-copper-mc-cable-w-ground-by-the-foot

Dont forget antishort bushings https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005GDG7TE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Rivian R1T R1S Wall charger installation at home - suggestions and recommendations? ⚡️⚡️ 1667580349996

Emporia charger can be mounted upside down, then flip the face plate (so wires come in from top). I did this to run charger along garage ceiling.

Added a retractable cord thingie: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Z6QTYBX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Rivian R1T R1S Wall charger installation at home - suggestions and recommendations? ⚡️⚡️ 1667580551015

and cable attachment thingie:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B091BC8LBT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Rivian R1T R1S Wall charger installation at home - suggestions and recommendations? ⚡️⚡️ 1667580594128

The retractable cord keeps the charger head from hitting the ground and gives plenty of room to move the charger. Hopefully this give some peeps some ideas ....

Ill throw in a few pics of it charging my 4Runner (i wish).
Rivian R1T R1S Wall charger installation at home - suggestions and recommendations? ⚡️⚡️ 1667580928704
Rivian R1T R1S Wall charger installation at home - suggestions and recommendations? ⚡️⚡️ 1667580946232
Rivian R1T R1S Wall charger installation at home - suggestions and recommendations? ⚡️⚡️ 1667580958298
Rivian R1T R1S Wall charger installation at home - suggestions and recommendations? ⚡️⚡️ 1667580970552

jasonphoto01

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T, 1976 Ford Bronco, 2018 RR Sport
Occupation
Medical Field
I'm considering running from my outdoor panel to about a 25' outside run before I can enter the garage. Suggestions on what would be easiest to run outside? Dig and bury isn't an option.

Milermore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Has anybody had experience installing a wall charger at home? How was the experience? Is it worthwhile?

I’m in the Houston area and welcome any suggestions and recommendations.

Thanks!
I hired an electrician, it's not the kind of thing I am comfortable doing myself.

It is 100% worth it to have a charger installed at home.

One thing to think about is placement. Depending on your garage setup you might not want to install the charger on the wall right next to the panel. In my case I paid a little extra to run the line over to install the charger in a location where I can choose from 4 different parking spots where I can charge - 2 inside the garage and 2 outside the garage. If I would have had the charger installed next to the panel I would have been limited to just 1 choice. Plus, if the situation ever comes up that a visitor with an EV needs to charge then I have that option without having to shuffle cars.
Sponsored