First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LA Silver R1T
Occupation
Sales
Good news: I'm taking delivery of my truck on Tuesday, 8/9, at the Atlanta SC. VIN 88XX and several months earlier than estimated.
Bad news: the genuine Rivian wall charger that I paid for has not even been sent yet. Looks like I'm going to have a nice EV without an L2 charge point.

Thoughts anyone?
Sponsored

kdd4esq

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo V60 CC
That’s how it went for me as well. Rivian wall charger arrived three days after R1T. Worse, electrician can’t schedule installation for another four weeks. So using local DC chargers once or twice a week to 85%. Portable charger is available as last resort or to keep it topped off around 70%. Portable charger, at my home, would take about 30 hours to get from 20% to 70%.

Looking forward to having the wall charger and being able to schedule charging and to stop spending time at local DC chargers.

OP
OP

NC-Rivian

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LA Silver R1T
Occupation
Sales
Besides getting the electrician to do the install in a timely manner, my little town doesn't have a fast DC charger. I'll have to drive to Asheville NC or Greenville SC for a DC charger. I'm pretty sure 120v plug won't do it.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Sorry to hear that man.

I’ve heard others having similar problems. I’m starting to wander what 3rd party chargers are worth looking into.

JeremyMKE

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, 2001 Yamaha Vino, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Riviot
Mine arrived a day before delivery, comms on that were weak for sure.

Good news is that if you don't need to install a new panel the install is pretty straightforward and most electricians can knock it out quick so it CAN be easier to get an appointment.

The 110 charging isnt going to be sufficient but you can hopefully get by keeping it plugged in whenever not using.

There are a few L2 public chargers in your area you could use every now and then to get a top up. Also the Chevy dealer has a 25 KW CCS charger, get friendly with them and ask to use.

Last edited:

Sponsored

blturner

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Space Pirate
Have your electrician install a 50 amp outlet for the portable charger using wire that will support the 60 amp wall charger when it arrives. When the wall charger arrives he can come back out and swap the breakers and install the charger where the outlet was. I would suspect that a friendly electrician might not even charge you for the 50 amp breakers or outlet because they are quite common. It will cost you two trips but might be worth it. The bulk of the cost is the time to run the wire and the wire itself. But YMMV.

LaunchR1T

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Besides getting the electrician to do the install in a timely manner, my little town doesn't have a fast DC charger. I'll have to drive to Asheville NC or Greenville SC for a DC charger. I'm pretty sure 120v plug won't do it.
I was in the same boat with mine being outside of Charlotte, NC. My best option was a DC charger about 25 minutes from the house. I am fortunate to not need to drive the R1T every day, so that minimized the frustration with the little 120v charger. Local electricians were all several weeks out for install. I was able get the home charger installed about 3 weeks after delivery.

The Electrify America DC Charger at the Sam's Club in Asheville works well and has been free the times I've used it!

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
My Wall EVSE didn't arrive until a couple weeks after I took delivery of my R1T.

They did deliver my R1T with a 100% SoC, so I just went about my business without charging for several days and had no problem making it to the weekend. Then my Saturday project was installing a NEMA 14-50R in my garage so I could use the Rivian Portable EVSE, which is included with the truck. That worked well for another week until my Wall EVSE arrived, and my next weekend project was removing the NEMA 14-50R and hardwiring the Wall EVSE.

derekmw

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
My wall charger arrived several weeks ago...and still no R1T. lol. I have screen protectors, crossbars, wall charger...and still no delivery date. I much prefer your guys' problem than mine.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

I guess, worse case for me is that I could take my truck to the local park and watch my son play while we used the DCFC. It's nice that we just got them.

Sponsored

derekmw

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I would do as @blturner suggested though. My garage has two 14-50 already from previous EV's and I actually have never installed a wall charger for my Tesla's nor am I sure I will do it for the Rivian yet. The portable chargers have been sufficient to charge up overnight in 99% of my cases in the past 8 years of owning/driving EV's

Taco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T R1S
Mine came about a week and a half after I got my truck, since I already have a 60amp Tesla WC I just picked up a TeslaTap mini 60amp and have been using that. Sparky is coming on Saturday to move my Tesla WC to the other wall and install the Rivian WC.

We have DC fast charged the Truck once, after moving to the 4th DC FC I was able to FINALLY get a charge, this was on a EVgo deployment. One didn't pickup the truck was connected, one did but the reader was bad so wouldn't start, the 3rd didn't notice the truck connected, nothing like looking like complete moron at the DC FC. Tesla SC just work, plug and charge needs to come to all providers ASAP.

sickhews

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Subaru Outback
Potentially stupid question: Does the charger ship when the 8-steps unlocks or after you pay? I assume it's all over the place but figured I'd ask.

@NC-Rivian I'm out in Charlotte and just got assigned a truck last night so hopefully my purchase process opens up soon! Great to see other R1Ts in this state! We need all we can get.

OP
OP

NC-Rivian

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LA Silver R1T
Occupation
Sales
My delivery date assignment came less than a week after the VIN number was assigned. I could pick it up in ATL on 8/9 or wait for delivery on 8/19 so I'm going to the SC in ATL for pick up. I'm completely in the dark as to when and how the wall charger gets sent. I sent a message to both the guide (who never answers me now) and the SC contact and got the tracking notification within 24 hours.
Sponsored