Sponsored

WA bill to allow direct sales appears dead (again)

n8dgr8

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Volvo XC 90
Occupation
Engineer
I’m ok picking up a car in Portland or being dropped off at my house.

However, there needs to be a service plan in Seattle or this is a no go for me.

Under existing law, how would a Rivian be serviced in the Seattle area?
Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Service isn't the same as sales, afaik. Nothing prevents someone from opening up an automotive repair business.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
It looks like they will need to be based out of state and send in service people.

A manufacturer is prohibited from:
"owning, operating, or controlling, whether directly or indirectly, a service facility in this state for the repair or maintenance of motor vehicles under the manufacturer's new car warranty and extended warranty."

There are specific things allowed for grandfathered manufacturers (Tesla) that no other manufacturer can do:

"A manufacturer that held a vehicle dealer license in this state on January 1, 2014, to own, operate, or control a new motor vehicle dealership that sells new vehicles that are only of that manufacturer's makes or lines and that are not sold new by a licensed independent franchise dealer, or to own, operate, or control or contract with companies that provide finance, leasing, or service for vehicles that are of that manufacturer's makes or lines"

https://apps.leg.wa.gov/documents/billdocs/2013-14/Pdf/Bills/Senate Bills/6272-S.E.pdf

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
...An analog might be insurance sales. Most states do not allow insurers to sell policies in a state where they have no state-licensed agents.
Ah, this explains the world renowned simplicity of securing and maintaining health insurance that the USA is so well known for.

EarlyAdptr

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sequoia
Occupation
Consultant
With Amazon in our backyard - there should be a massive - or even several - service centers in Seattle. That's what I'm anticipating at least.

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
With Amazon in our backyard - there should be a massive - or even several - service centers in Seattle. That's what I'm anticipating at least.
Why do you make that assumption? I assume Amazon will either in-house their servicing or will have a private deal.

It seems unlikely that Amazon will want to share servicing with plebs.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
I was just thinking to myself " if only there were more things I could obsess and stress about" Thankfully this thread appeared to fill my thoughts with worry.
Serious note, now I am completely confused about what all this means for all the states on the map that were not green. I live in NY this means as of now I cannot buy directly from Rivian which is there only announced sales plan? And Rivian is not allowed to operate a service station to perform scheduled maintenance and warranty repairs? This is somehow designed to protect me based on supreme court precedent from a case involving faulty wooden spokes on a Buick nearly 100 years ago...
I wonder if I can also find a laws on the books preventing me from passing carriages so as not to startle the horses.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
So, fun story. I emailed my reps asking why the hell this was allowed to die in committee without a vote by a Dem led committee.

Crickets.

Shit heads.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Ugh. To Portland I go when the glorious yellow truck finally gets built. That is frustrating.
Please let me know when that happens and I'll buy the coffee or beer. No offense, but I hope it doesn't come to that and your legislators get their poop in a group and acts to allow sales up there.

Last edited:

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I was just thinking to myself " if only there were more things I could obsess and stress about" Thankfully this thread appeared to fill my thoughts with worry.
Serious note, now I am completely confused about what all this means for all the states on the map that were not green. I live in NY this means as of now I cannot buy directly from Rivian which is there only announced sales plan? And Rivian is not allowed to operate a service station to perform scheduled maintenance and warranty repairs? This is somehow designed to protect me based on supreme court precedent from a case involving faulty wooden spokes on a Buick nearly 100 years ago...
I wonder if I can also find a laws on the books preventing me from passing carriages so as not to startle the horses.
You mention the laws passed to keep you from startling horses, but didn't these same people push to require your EV to make enough noise so as not to startle people? Sounds like the back half of every startled horse in New York spends a great deal of time in Albany every year.

Sponsored

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey
I emailed my reps asking why the hell this was allowed to die in committee without a vote by a Dem led committee.
This is odd, as all six of the bill's sponsors were Democrats.

None of the legislative tracking services are yet reporting HB 1388's death in committee, so please let us know what you find out.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
This is odd, as all six of the bill's sponsors were Democrats.

None of the legislative tracking services are yet reporting HB 1388's death in committee, so please let us know what you find out.
Agreed. I was not expecting radio silence on it at all

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

While I hope that the laws in Washington state do change to allow Rivian the presence they desire, this gives me hope that the Portland area may end up with more of a company presence, both for Sales and Service functions.

n8dgr8

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Volvo XC 90
Occupation
Engineer
I get why direct sales is important and the new car companies would flop with a dealership approach.

Why are Tesla and Rivian so protective against 3rd party repairs? Is it about control, cost, profit?

The Tesla Service centers feel more like going to the circus than getting my car repaired right now. Appointments take weeks to get. Parts take a couple more weeks to come in. 2nd Appointments takes another couple of weeks. There are no parking spots left to drop my car off. Service returns my car to the sales spot. The sales person starts yelling at me for parking in the sales spot. Standing outside in the rain waiting for my car for 30+ minutes. Never experience anything remotely like this at the stealerships... Going from bad to worse....

Mjhirsch78

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey became an R1T: MAGIC!
Occupation
Teacher
Please let me know when that happens and I'll buy the coffee or beer. No offense, but I hope it doesn't come to that and your legislators get their poop in a group and acts to allow sales up there.
Heh sounds lovely!
Sponsored