Sponsored

VW ID.4 pre-orders now live - $100 deposit, deliveries starting Q1 2021

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
https://www.vw.com/pre-order/edit/

There are two options to pick from - their 1st edition, which starts at $43,995, and the Pro which is cheaper at $39,995. The 1st edition comes to market soonest, but there are slim pickings in terms of customization. Only 3 colors, one interior color, and only AWD. The Pro has more choice in terms of packages and colors. No info on range that I can find, except that the battery is 77kwh net.
Sponsored

OP
OP
sevengroove

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
It's actually high on my list. VW ID4, Mach E, Model Y, and Rivian R1T. I'll get the R1T if I'm able to find an extra $20k when I buying a car in a few years.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
https://www.vw.com/pre-order/edit/

There are two options to pick from - their 1st edition, which starts at $43,995, and the Pro which is cheaper at $39,995. The 1st edition comes to market soonest, but there are slim pickings in terms of customization. Only 3 colors, one interior color, and only AWD. The Pro has more choice in terms of packages and colors. No info on range that I can find, except that the battery is 77kwh net.
250 miles on both the 1st and Pro
https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=43557&id=43558

Sponsored

Reed

First Name
Reed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Toyota Tacoma, March/24 Reservation for R2
Occupation
Retired
Good on VW for bringing it in at 250 miles.

But, I believe that is for a 2 wheel drive vehicle, not all wheel drive. The AWD will come later. It will be interesting to see what kind of a drop in range they get with that version.

Will they go for economy in the AWD? Or, will they sacrifice range to get performance?

I had dismissed the id4 as not having sufficient range. Maybe I'll revisit that when I see how the 2WD performs.

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
Towing on the rwd is way puny (2200lbs). The 4 wheel drive has more towing capacity (2700lbs), but neither has serious towing chops. Nothing wrong with being just a car, of course. I have a Kia Niro EV that is great for running around but the Rivian, for me, is for other stuff...boondocking with a camper.

jayazusa

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Toyota 4Runner, Toyota Prius
Occupation
Technology
You can now order a Tesla model Y rear wheel drive standard range for $42k it has a stated range of 244 miles. They say delivery in 5-6 weeks. The VW ID.4 is a knock off of the Model Y if you look at all the dimensions but it still qualifies for the $7500 tax credit.

OP
OP
sevengroove

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
You can now order a Tesla model Y rear wheel drive standard range for $42k it has a stated range of 244 miles. They say delivery in 5-6 weeks. The VW ID.4 is a knock off of the Model Y if you look at all the dimensions but it still qualifies for the $7500 tax credit.
$7,500 off at that price point can definitely sway a lot of people over to the ID.4 or Mach-E, despite Tesla having the currently superior charging infrastructure.

Towing on the rwd is way puny (2200lbs). The 4 wheel drive has more towing capacity (2700lbs), but neither has serious towing chops. Nothing wrong with being just a car, of course. I have a Kia Niro EV that is great for running around but the Rivian, for me, is for other stuff...boondocking with a camper.
Agree, these are firmly pedestrian on-road vehicles, and nothing wrong with that. I'm not an off-roader or camper at all but still find the clearance and 4 motors of the Rivian handy to have.

jayazusa

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Toyota 4Runner, Toyota Prius
Occupation
Technology
$7,500 off at that price point can definitely sway a lot of people over to the ID.4 or Mach-E, despite Tesla having the currently superior charging infrastructure.

Agree, these are firmly pedestrian on-road vehicles, and nothing wrong with that. I'm not an off-roader or camper at all but still find the clearance and 4 motors of the Rivian handy to have.
Add to that VW is offering 3 Years of free Charging at ElectrifyAmerica locations and its a good value/option.

I am curious to see what the VW and Mach-E real world numbers are for miles per charge, I am on my third EV and the posted numbers are not what you see in daily driving.

Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
I am curious to see what the VW and Mach-E real world numbers are for miles per charge, I am on my third EV and the posted numbers are not what you see in daily driving.
I've found the EPA numbers to be pretty accurate.
As long as you take them for what they are, they should be very close. 70 degree temps and a mix of city and freeway driving (the EPA test conditions) will usually yield better than the EPA combined number (but it should since they knock 30% off the actual test results).
Tesla is perhaps the exception to this as they only derate by 25% (they utilize the 5 cycle test and submit the required documentation to allow the lower reduction).
Climate, road conditions, terrain and driving habits will all cause variation in the economy of any vehicle.

Eeyore

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, ID.4 Pro S, Civic, EX-L, Honda Fit
Occupation
Union Journeyman Electrician, foreman
Clubs

Add to that VW is offering 3 Years of free Charging at ElectrifyAmerica locations and its a good value/option.
Apparently enough people agree with you as the 1st Edition is sold out.

St Bernard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R2 2026, Prius
2023 was the original projected release. They are now targeting "sometime" in 2022.
I think you meant the opposite as Car and Driver reported, three days ago, that the Bus is now 2023 from the original date of 2022.
Sponsored