kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I really do wonder if they did 125KW charging for the race because that is was 0 to 80% in 40 minutes which is crazy time wise. I havent heard much talk about charging times and what is allowed etc in rulebook. Although I did hear something about a hot swap battery pack with another team Emme was talking about.

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
I really do wonder if they did 125KW charging for the race because that is was 0 to 80% in 40 minutes which is crazy time wise. I havent heard much talk about charging times and what is allowed etc in rulebook. Although I did hear something about a hot swap battery pack with another team Emme was talking about.
I saw the battery swap on the race the Lordstown entered. There was I think a 4Runner with the leaf electric motors instead of the combustion engine and they were battery swapping. Maybe they have another electric vehicle battery swapping here too, but I just haven't heard.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

With respect to the Lordstown, was it the first battery that caught fire, or the second? Maybe both?

Sponsored

IPTV65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep JLU Sahara,Jeep JKU, Infiniti G37X, R1S
Occupation
Engineering Exec
Clubs

My only ID.4 comment.... What kind of company makes a slow electric car? 7.6-seconds to 60 mph!! Come on! If you make an electric car these days there is no excuse not to make it fun. Two words..."instant torque". How do you screw that up? Ask Volkswagen!

Reed

First Name
Reed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Toyota Tacoma, March/24 Reservation for R2
Occupation
Retired
My only ID.4 comment.... What kind of company makes a slow electric car? 7.6-seconds to 60 mph!! Come on! If you make an electric car these days there is no excuse not to make it fun. Two words..."instant torque". How do you screw that up? Ask Volkswagen!
I think VW has gone out of their way to make this car 'normal', for lack of a better word. They want the average ICE driver to get in this car and feel totally at home.

That's why they went to that glide mode, instead of straight regen. They think (right or wrong) that this will feel comfortable to someone making the jump from an ICE vehicle.

The only review I have seen on the id4 that left me surprised was the one by Sandy Munro, where he ends up lost in a parking lot trying to figure out how to get the central monitor to show charging station options. That is the exact opposite of what VW wants to achieve.

Hopefully, that was just SM.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
I think VW has gone out of their way to make this car 'normal', for lack of a better word. They want the average ICE driver to get in this car and feel totally at home.
There are two modes selectable on the "gear" selector. Twisting once gets you "D", twisting a second time gets you "B". "D" drives very similar to an ICE with minimal regen (similar to the engine braking people are used to) - I think it also has "Creep" mode active with this setting but not 100% sure. "B" gets you one pedal driving with pretty strong regen on full lift - similar to Tesla. It is enough to bring you to a full stop (they must apply a little "reverse" juice to the motor at very low speeds).

IPTV65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep JLU Sahara,Jeep JKU, Infiniti G37X, R1S
Occupation
Engineering Exec
Clubs

That's why they went to that glide mode, instead of straight regen. They think (right or wrong) that this will feel comfortable to someone making the jump from an ICE vehicle.

The only review I have seen on the id4 that left me surprised was the one by Sandy Munro, where he ends up lost in a parking lot trying to figure out how to get the central monitor to show charging station options. That is the exact opposite of what VW wants to achieve.

Hopefully, that was just SM.
I was more addressing acceleration. My teen daughters drive an older G37x. It’s much faster than an ID.4. This would just feel like a sluggish normal car to them. Why not take advantage of the characteristics of an electric drive train in a new car? I don’t think anyone would not buy it if it was faster. Acceleration seems to be fine for Tesla. They could do an eco mode and a sport mode quite easily. I know there are faster variations coming but outta the gate this is a real buzz kill in my opinion.
I’m not a huge Elon Musk fan nor a Tesla owner but I do love his statement “We don’t make slow cars”. Why would they? Instant torque is cool…again just my opinion.

Reed

First Name
Reed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Toyota Tacoma, March/24 Reservation for R2
Occupation
Retired
"I don’t think anyone would not buy it if it was faster."

You could be right. Everyone gets a thrill out of some zip in their car.

VW might not be thinking so much about your teen daughters as your parents or older relatives. According to the reviews I have seen, the acceleration is okay. But, it won't push you back in the seat. That could be exactly what 'relaxed' drivers are looking for.

The way I look at it, if this vehicle gets ICE drivers who look at electric cars as confusing contraptions, to consider buying electric, I'm all for it.
Sponsored