Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Convertible, Tractor, UTV
Occupation
All the time
Clubs

I've experimented with all the various modes of LKA, and only found some of them to be useful in limited situations. Wide lanes on long boring interstate highways - I will occasionally use the vibration (and the visual cue) to help keep me alert. Narrow lanes on state highways - forget about it. The auto-steer feature was not helpful at all to me.
Sponsored

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Turned it off within the 1st week. It was just not good. I don't miss it.

SDH

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE; Jeep Rubicon
It's not just a Rivian thing, it's any LKA. They all suck. Anyway, which retard can't keep between two lines???

Derek

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, R1T
Clubs

When my guide was walking me through the system, it was the first thing I turned off.

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

It can get annoying, yes. As can the beeping for early warning. BUT, I've chosen to deal with the annoying for the one time that it actually does save me. While it may mistakenly ping pong between lanes or beep at you, if you have it off, then that one time where you actually needed it, it's not on to save you. Nobody is a perfect driver. While I get annoyed with it, I live with it knowing that it's there for the one time that I actually screw up and would benefit from its help. Had the same issues with my Tesla and likely will with any type of driver assist features from any manufacturer. But, I know with my Tesla, the 1 out of 10,000 times it actually saved my butt, or likely did anyway. One accident is too many for me. So, I live with it to avoid not having it in that 1 in 10,000 instance where I actually needed it.

Sponsored

elektrode

First Name
Bran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Ridgeline to R1T
Turned it off yesterday. Got sick of fighting it.

It has helped me at times which is concerning. But it had like a 50:1 bogus:real ratio.

49 times outta 50 got pretty annoying after a while.

OP
OP
mabowden

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
That is the case with the Rivian. However, my issue with LKA is that it "recognizes" lanes that don't exist and will therefore steer the truck dangerously. Our Mach-e was 10X better than this so we kept lane keep on in that car. Rivian has some catching up to do.
My exact problem. The LKA recognizes lanes that aren't there. It's either lane lines that used to be there and have been changed or a change in the street material that makes it think its a lane. Also handles merging lanes and the addition of lanes quite poorly as well.

OP
OP
mabowden

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
Turned it off yesterday. Got sick of fighting it.

It has helped me at times which is concerning. But it had like a 50:1 bogus:real ratio.

49 times outta 50 got pretty annoying after a while.
I had the same issue which is why I kept it going. Twice it steered me correctly out of about 100. After the first time though I've never had it help me when I was too busy looking at the infotainment. Lesson learned- be quick with the infotainment lol

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

On long freeway road trips (I-8) to CA it works fantastic for me. Absolutely reduces fatigue for 5-6 hour non-stop drives. Otherwise, it's nearly worthless....although I had to wear a tie once for an event and using it while doing that tie-knot thing, it was better than knee-driving around sweeping curves.....;)

Sponsored

R1S88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

To be clear, the suggestion is to turn off Lane Keeping Assist (LKA) and Lane Departure Warning (LDW), or just LKA? I have LDW on, normal with haptic on/sound off but LKA turned off.

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Never, but that isn't because of a bad experience with it.

I simply don't trust lane keep assist in any vehicle.

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
On long freeway road trips (I-8) to CA it works fantastic for me. Absolutely reduces fatigue for 5-6 hour non-stop drives. Otherwise, it's nearly worthless....although I had to wear a tie once for an event and using it while doing that tie-knot thing, it was better than knee-driving around sweeping curves.....;)
For clarification purposes that's Lane Steering with Driver+

Lane keep assist is in always active thing that is simply meant to bounce you back into the lane if you start drifting out of it.

RBR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S preorder holder; '14 JGC,'20 Subaru Crosstrek
About 90% of the time the car activated LKA it was reading a false line. I couldn't seem to take an offramp without my blinker on where LKA wouldn't engage.

Are you saying you were trying to take an exit but NOT use your blinker, because LKA was telling you - You're supposed to use your blinker when exiting unless its an exit only lane.

Just checking, because I've seen so many people complain about their cars (not just Rivian) doing things they didn't like because THEY were driving badly. The system is programmed to follow the strict rules of the road and if you aren't obeying them, it's going to try to correct you. Lane changes without blinker - nope. Exiting without blinker - nope. Going across 3 lanes to the left because you're an idiot - it will try to stop you.

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

For clarification purposes that's Lane Steering with Driver+

Lane keep assist is in always active thing that is simply meant to bounce you back into the lane if you start drifting out of it.
Roger that.....I've turned off Lane Assist since day dot 352 days ago ;)
Sponsored