Sponsored

Volvo, Mercedes and now BMW going Android Automotive

KurtP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5
Android Automotive (again, different than android auto) is very Customizable by manufacturers.
With the ability to integrate mature maps, AI and apps with core car & infotainment systems I think these car companies will be able to focus on other enhancements to getting a stable product launched.

https://www.androidpolice.com/bmw-android-automotive/

A few years ago, creating your own infotainment system was a good idea since large touch screen support and system integrations were missing. I am just not seeing this being necessary now.
When I am in the car market again, I hope that this is one area that Rivian improves.

My MDX Type S comes with Alexa and it is a disaster and the "Here" maps suck, but luckily I have wireless android auto and that superbly meets my needs (it also supports the talk/command button or just saying the "Hey Google" wake word)
Sponsored

Last edited:

MilliM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Polestar 2
Absolutely love Android Automotive in my Polestar - voice controls are so natural and everything just feels seamless. Funny thing is that the CarPlay update came last night for me, and I used it today on my way to Venice to check out the R1S, and I found myself missing the native Android Automotive interface that I’ve grown accustomed to. I’m sure I’ll use CarPlay from time to time, but on its own AA is pretty great IMO (I know not everyone agrees).
Rivian R1T R1S Volvo, Mercedes and now BMW going Android Automotive 9DB5AC56-9815-4CC5-B610-AF90200FB5EF

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
Android Automotive (again, different than android auto) is very Customizable by manufacturers.
With the ability to integrate mature maps, AI and apps with core car & infotainment systems I think these car companies will be able to focus on other enhancements to getting a stable product launched.

https://www.androidpolice.com/bmw-android-automotive/

A few years ago, creating your own infotainment system was a good idea since large touch screen support and system integrations were missing. I am just not seeing this being necessary now.
When I am in the car market again, I hope that this is one area that Rivian improves.

My MDX Type S comes with Alexa and it is a disaster and the "Here" maps suck, but luckily I have wireless android auto and that superbly meets my needs (it also supports the talk/command button or just saying the "Hey Google" wake word)
You're in luck, because Rivian does use Android Automotive for their UI.

timgradywy

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, XC40 Recharge, CTS-V2, Triumph TR6.
AAOS in the XC40 Recharge is a nightmare. It's massively less functional and slower vs. their previous OS. Yes, CarPlay showed up a few days ago, but random reboots, frequent phone disconnections (normally in the middle of a phone call), no wireless CarPlay, and less functionality vs. a 10 year old OS are very disappointing... Voice commands are more often than not disappointing. There's potential there, but it feels like Alpha software that maybe has finally entered Beta testing.

MilliM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Polestar 2
I feel like my experience has been so different in the Polestar. The TCAM issues are well documented, but overall Android Automotive has been great for me.

Sponsored

RivianDeac

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC40 Recharge
Apple Car Play appeared on my wife’s XC40 recharge today. When we bought it last July, it was supposed to be released “by the fall”.

OP
OP
KurtP

KurtP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5
You're in luck, because Rivian does use Android Automotive for their UI.
Where are you seeing evidence of this?
Did anyone from Rivian ever (directly) confirm their use of Android Automotive?

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
Where are you seeing evidence of this?
Did anyone from Rivian ever (directly) confirm their use of Android Automotive?
In addition to all of the other evidence discussed on the forum (job postings, network activity with Google and the Play Store, etc.), the Spotify App is definitely an Android Automotive OS app. When setting it up and pairing your account, you get a notification on your phone that says Spotify Android Automotive is requesting access to your account. So Rivian is using at least part of AAOS to be able to load the Spotify app (perhaps TuneIn as well), and will be the basis for adding other third party apps in the future as they suggested in the recent AMA.
Sponsored