Sponsored

Volvo EX90 could be worthy competitor to R1S

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

i think the EX90 is definitely going to be a compelling vehicle. sure, its great to have the off-road capability and insane acceleration but i doubt i'll use it very often. based on what ive seen, the EX90 appears to be more refined and luxurious, along with having better safety and driver assist capability. those are pluses. have both reserved so unsure which direction im going to go.
Sponsored

Madsen203

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Manager
Understand the guy is not favored on this forum but that Kyle dude did a nice hands on review of current state. Quality appears nice and cabin looks comfortable for 4 people. Would never use rear seats. For sure smaller than R1S. LiDAR and Google HD will blow Driver+ out of the water. Won’t compare to Tesla FSD but for the majority of normal cruise control use, it’ll work great from the looks of it.

elektrode

First Name
Bran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Ridgeline to R1T
Curious, why? The Rivian makes me nervous with company security.
Wife has owned several Volvos in the past. I have my R1T, so it’s her turn.

Our first 8 weeks was not fun with the R1T: 2 week delayed delivery, then delivered wrong truck, then 6 weeks with two tows to Atlanta SC.

I asked if she might want an R1S. I got a look I wasn’t able to decode and then she said “I trust Volvo more than Rivian.”

ravian

First Name
Debarshi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Sienna
The economy and jobs seem to be taking a rapid nosedive in the past few weeks. Wonder if the demand for these vehicles including Rivian is going to taper due to that.

Sponsored

Madsen203

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Manager
The economy and jobs seem to be taking a rapid nosedive in the past few weeks. Wonder if the demand for these vehicles including Rivian is going to taper due to that.
Yep. Interest rates going up, economy tanking including stock market. Going to be a long road to recovery. That’s my fear about Rivian. I’d Amazon cancels, they will be F’d. They need to diversify. And find way to improve quality and reduce pricing.

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited, R1S Launch Green
Clubs

I’m hopeful that the use of Polestar SP2 platform will enhance reliability and build of the new 90 vs the repurposed 40. That’s what I’m banking on at least. Seems to be more reliable and cost effective than R1S.
I dunno about the Polestar 2 being reliable. Too many TCAM issues.

The entire Volvo/Polestar EV lineup seems incredibly inefficient with poor efficiency numbers. Underengineered dare I say. I love the one pedal of the Polestar 2 as it is the most refined of all EVs I’ve experienced - and I’ve owned and test drive almost all of them.

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
yesterday I received an email update about it being built in SC.

Madsen203

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Manager

Looks incredibly comfortable and well thought out. Not as “adventure” focused as the Rivian but for 99% of people who spend 100% of their time on pavement, this looks like a well developed BEV. I’ll be hard pressed to go with Rivian if both are available to order at the same time. The Rivian is likely cheaper with pre hike pricing but not nearly as refined or comfortable. Range looks to be about 330-350 real world on the Volvo and rated for 315 ish.

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY

Looks incredibly comfortable and well thought out. Not as “adventure” focused as the Rivian but for 99% of people who spend 100% of their time on pavement, this looks like a well developed BEV. I’ll be hard pressed to go with Rivian if both are available to order at the same time. The Rivian is likely cheaper with pre hike pricing but not nearly as refined or comfortable. Range looks to be about 330-350 real world on the Volvo and rated for 315 ish.
This car is more expensive than a full priced Rivian, and nowhere near the value for the buck. It’s an overpriced station wagon for Volvo crowd.

Plus, it’s a Chinese company. I don’t mind buying commodities from China. But not top brands.

Sponsored

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

This car is more expensive than a full priced Rivian, and nowhere near the value for the buck. It’s an overpriced station wagon for Volvo crowd
Considered opinion, given neither you or most people have driven it. I understand you are a Rivian fan, as I am. But let’s fairly consider this. For some people having a vehicle built by a legacy brand, serviced nearer, likely having more amenities and quality mean more to them than off roading ability, exceptionally fast acceleration and adventure. Both the EX and the S are station wagon style, boxy and around 200”. The rear and second row look more spacious and I appreciate the separate middle seat in the middle row, like my Sienna has. Choice is good and Rivian deserve cr3it for being first to market in this class as well (I don’t count the X as an SUV).

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

Possible, it seems the T has at most a year wait list (excluding the max pack) so there is a limit to demand.

Gamma rays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda

Most people won't "need" off-road capability of the R1S and if this is competitively priced, it can take away a good portion of new pricing customers. Depending on what Volvo really mean by "well equipped" at below $80K, that would be pretty competitive to even pre-March pricing!

GR

Jac

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Volvo XC40, Honda VFR1200X
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

This car is more expensive than a full priced Rivian, and nowhere near the value for the buck. It’s an overpriced station wagon for Volvo crowd.

Plus, it’s a Chinese company. I don’t mind buying commodities from China. But not top brands.
Volvo is owned by Geely but the Volvo EX90 will be built by American workers in Volvo’s South Carolina factory.

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
Volvo is owned by Geely but the Volvo EX90 will be built by American workers in Volvo’s South Carolina factory.
It’s important to me both who the workers are and who the primary owners are
Sponsored