Sponsored

Volvo EX90 could be worthy competitor to R1S

SNOWinSEA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure
Not sure if I would go with Volvo electric. My sister has a hybrid XC90 and has had massive electrical problems with it. Like almost to lemon law problems. Has left her stranded multiple times.. the car will literally shut down while driving.
Hasn’t this exact thing happened to multiple people on this forum with their R1T/R1S?
Sponsored

Jay565

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
hyundai
Unfortunately based on videos I’ve seen, even if the divider can be removed (I’m not sure it can as it seems to be molded in place) the frunk is very shallow, which is why the cited volume is so small. It isn’t a frunk you can use to hold grocery bags.

I use my frunk way more than I expected, especially compared to our Model X. Part of that is the convenience of it being power operated and part is that it fills in for normal trunk space on the R1T. I’m not sure I want to go back to a vehicle without a useable frunk.

I’m hoping Volvo allows preorder holders a way to get hands-on experience before configuring/ordering.
Agree, I can't believe how much more usable the Rivian's frunk is compared to even the Tesla. I couldn't live without it either.

krikiter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13 CTS-V Wagon 6MT, 22 R1T, 22 R1S
However good Volvo's safety record is, its ICE reliability record is and was poor. It's not clear how that translates to EVs.
I can tell you that we love our PHEV XC90, but the high-voltage coolant heater used to provide cabin heat in EV mode has an astounding failure rate.

Rousie13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2023 Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Engineer
We have a deposit down on an ex90 and I might put one down for an R1S (would want dual motor). I really hope Volvo doesn’t put the garbage back up cameras in the ex90 that they use now. It is seriously difficult for us to see anything behind the vehicle. If the camera is slightly dirty, then forget about seeing anything. We currently have an xc90 loaner and the camera is the same garbage….I feel like it’s a toy camera out of the $1 bin. 😂

Khaos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Clubs

I can tell you that we love our PHEV XC90, but the high-voltage coolant heater used to provide cabin heat in EV mode has an astounding failure rate.
Quick Q - what's your real world range?

The R1S is so delayed in Canada, we're considering getting the PHEV primarily because of range loss in the winter and long range drives (tbh, we only drive 400+kms once a year, so BEV wil fulfill 99% of our needs). But my regular ICE XC90 is doing great, don't really feel the need to change it...might just wait it out until the R1S or EX90 become available in 24.

Sponsored

krikiter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Quick Q - what's your real world range?

The R1S is so delayed in Canada, we're considering getting the PHEV primarily because of range loss in the winter and long range drives (tbh, we only drive 400+kms once a year, so BEV wil fulfill 99% of our needs). But my regular ICE XC90 is doing great, don't really feel the need to change it...might just wait it out until the R1S or EX90 become available in 24.
Electric only range is as advertised: 32-35 miles, closer to 20-25 in the cold. It will do an easy 80mph on the expressway in electric mode too. Based on our driving habits, we’re getting 70-80 mpg.

Madsen203

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Manager
EX90 is looking compelling. I spoke to dealer who confirmed they will sell at MSRP (no ADM). Given 3rd row isn’t needed, and it uses a test platform (polestar), seems like an excellent city/road trip car. Range or total power won’t be as impressive but we’re talking about an SUV, not a sports car.

Rousie13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2023 Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Engineer
We had a pair of XC40 Recharges and we had nothing but problems with them. We have a reservation down for the ex90, but I’m pretty positive we will not go through with that one just because of all of the headaches we had on the XC40’s. Plus my wife is loving her Y that we got when we dumped the last XC40.

IPTV65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep JLU Sahara,Jeep JKU, Infiniti G37X, R1S
Occupation
Engineering Exec
Clubs

Kind of like Rivian for the last 3 yrs with the R1S huh? Except it's being introduced 9 Nov and will be delivered less than a year later to customers.

Are you inferring the Chevy Trailblazer will be a competing product? If so that is totally humorous!!!

What EV SUV is Ford offering?

Don't even get me started on saying KIA and VW offer EV competitors to the XC90. They don't even have a competitor to the XC90 right now...unless you consider the ID4 a competitor to the R1S and XC90?
“It will be delivered in less than a year”. Bold statement these days. I’d take a bet they won’t hit it. Nothing against Volvo. It’s the times we live in.

betasigma98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Volvo XC90 Recharge Polestar
Occupation
Hospital
Since I got the R1T my wife is now driving my old PHEV XC90 and I did notice that the XC90 cabin is cold AF in Pure mode. You think ours probably failed?

Sponsored

krikiter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Since I got the R1T my wife is now driving my old PHEV XC90 and I did notice that the XC90 cabin is cold AF in Pure mode. You think ours probably failed?
Almost certainly, yes. We got ours replaced and everything is working fine now. But the part was back ordered 6-8 weeks.

elektrode

First Name
Bran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Ridgeline to R1T
Unfortunately based on videos I’ve seen, even if the divider can be removed (I’m not sure it can as it seems to be molded in place) the frunk is very shallow, which is why the cited volume is so small. It isn’t a frunk you can use to hold grocery bags.
Yeah that frunk is a total disappointment.

It’s like you either get Waze, or a great frunk, but not both!

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 FE, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Self-Employed: Real Estate Management
Yeah that frunk is a total disappointment.

It’s like you either get Waze, or a great frunk, but not both!
At least it has one! Half of the new EVs I see coming out are doing away with it.

elektrode

First Name
Bran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Ridgeline to R1T
Welp, we just put in our reservation for the EX90.

Last edited:

Madsen203

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Manager
We had a pair of XC40 Recharges and we had nothing but problems with them. We have a reservation down for the ex90, but I’m pretty positive we will not go through with that one just because of all of the headaches we had on the XC40’s. Plus my wife is loving her Y that we got when we dumped the last XC40.
I’m hopeful that the use of Polestar SP2 platform will enhance reliability and build of the new 90 vs the repurposed 40. That’s what I’m banking on at least. Seems to be more reliable and cost effective than R1S.
Sponsored