65 Ninety Eight 90 Supra 90 Range Rover
Occupation
Business Owner
Rivian R1T R1S Visited the Chelsea, MA Rivian Service Center 20230509_094955
Rivian R1T R1S Visited the Chelsea, MA Rivian Service Center 20230509_093426
Rivian R1T R1S Visited the Chelsea, MA Rivian Service Center 20230509_093410

Rivian R1T R1S Visited the Chelsea, MA Rivian Service Center 20230509_094849
Rivian R1T R1S Visited the Chelsea, MA Rivian Service Center 20230509_095343

I had some time to kill while in Boston for a meeting so I decided to visit the Chelsea Service Center. My R1S is estimated to be delivered in Q4 of this year and I figured I should get acquainted with where the center is.

I asked about when they were going to do First Mile drives and I guess they have suspended them but are looking to start scheduling them in the near future. They seemed to be very busy. One person was waiting for new sensors for his R1T and another came in for a passenger door alignment issue. The trucks I saw didn't look to need panel alignments and overall seem to be of good quality. I asked about shop access and they gave non answer about how they don't know the process. Overall they were all very nice and the lounge was simple but nice.

Only rant is putting the center in an industrial complex in Chelsea is very inconvenient for most people not in Boston. I'm from Western Massachusetts even though it's only 100 miles, it takes 2.5 hours due to traffic. Auburn or Natick would have made more sense.
Sponsored

Last edited:

ArchitecTT

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2012 Audi TTRS; 2014 Audi A6 3.0
Occupation
Architect
Clubs

I’ve only had need for the two 10 minute “pit stop” recall trips to this center but the seeming level of activity and vehicles present really shot up between visits.

I called yesterday to set up tire rotation and they were scheduling 6 weeks out. That would be a seriously failing grade for any other auto brand, so Rivian has some work to do there.

I live in southern Maine, so I’m very glad it’s in Chelsea rather than in the western Boston suburbs - anything to avoid 128.

Rivianation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Manager
. . .

Only rant is putting the center in an industrial complex in Chelsea is very inconvenient for most people not in Boston. I'm from Western Massachusetts even though it's only 100 miles, it takes 2.5 hours due to traffic. Auburn or Natick would have made more sense.
I lived in Acton in the late 90's. I do recall that any travel toward the city beyond the I95 beltway was something to avoid, except maybe on weekends or Friday nights. Sorry to hear they chose Chelsea.

OP
OP

Krusty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Business Owner
I lived in Acton in the late 90's. I do recall that any travel toward the city beyond the I95 beltway was something to avoid, except maybe on weekends or Friday nights. Sorry to hear they chose Chelsea.
I guess it might be somewhat convenient for people who live North and South of Boston but it's such a pain for anyone that lives west of Boston. The funny thing is, most people who live in Boston don't even have a car and wouldn't be interested in a Rivian.

swhme

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Land Cruisers, BMW 535&335, MB 300TD, Cayenne
Occupation
Nerd
Clubs

Seems a lot less crowded than it normally is! The last few times I've been there the lot has been packed to the gills with trucks awaiting delivery.

Re: location-- anywhere they put it is going to be more convenient for some, less for others. I like the chelsea location as it's super close to logan-- I schedule service around when I fly out, bam, free airport parking.

Sponsored

md2023

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru
Clubs

I visited on a Sunday to check out colors before choosing an R1T from the shop. Delivery and pick up went great. Everyone was nice and the process was smooth. Tech spent as much time with us as we wanted (about 45 mins). The parking lot has been completely full both times I went.
I am out toward Worcester, so it's not the best location for me but I think it is a reasonable location for Ma and New England in general. As swhme noted any place in Ma will be good for some and bad for others. Hoping I don't have to go often. All in all, a good experience for me so far.

junkanoo

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura RDX, Suburu Outback, R1S
Occupation
Supply Chain Planning
Seems a lot less crowded than it normally is! The last few times I've been there the lot has been packed to the gills with trucks awaiting delivery.

Re: location-- anywhere they put it is going to be more convenient for some, less for others. I like the chelsea location as it's super close to logan-- I schedule service around when I fly out, bam, free airport parking.
Smart!

LHB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 Cherokee XJ, 2018 Wrangler JLU, 2023 R1S LE
I had some time to kill while in Boston for a meeting so I decided to visit the Chelsea Service Center. My R1S is estimated to be delivered in Q4 of this year and I figured I should get acquainted with where the center is.....
Any chance you saw my Forest Green R1S with Forest Edge interior!?!? I've been at the "Ready for purchase...delivery scheduling opens soon" since switching to a R1S Shop Vehicle on Monday. I'm hoping it's already there!

OP
OP

Krusty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Business Owner
Any chance you saw my Forest Green R1S with Forest Edge interior!?!? I've been at the "Ready for purchase...delivery scheduling opens soon" since switching to a R1S Shop Vehicle on Monday. I'm hoping it's already there!
Maybe. These were also there.
Rivian R1T R1S Visited the Chelsea, MA Rivian Service Center 20230509_093403

LHB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 Cherokee XJ, 2018 Wrangler JLU, 2023 R1S LE
Maybe. These were also there.
Oh wow, the one on the right looks suspiciously like our configuration. Fingers crossed.

Sponsored

Ryan1T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'13 Subaru Impreza
Clubs

I have to say, after having my first service call done there, I think they're ready for a new location nearby. My (biased) vote is for something in central NH that could service ME, NH, VT and a fair amount of Northern MA. Not complaining about the service I received, but it was quite clear they're swamped and have next to no lot space left to QA pre-delivery vehicles. Also, I have to say that Chelsea is really only easy to get to from the 95 - Rt1 corridor, and that is being generous, because I hate the Rt1 corridor, but it's at least easier than taking side streets for 30 minutes off of 93S.

All that said, kudos to the folks at the Chelsea SC, they're friendly, and they're thorough to the point that I didn't need to ask for a rotation or whatever they're doing for half-shafts (mine didn't even make noise.)

RivJob

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Former Burger Technician
I was there last week for a panel alignment and saw this baddy. Ran into DeShaun there, who delivered my truck to my driveway. Carlos took care of my appointment while I was there. Good experience

Rivian R1T R1S Visited the Chelsea, MA Rivian Service Center 70464466716__0EBA3BF7-B32B-4061-9294-62F812EAECD7

kewlasu

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T LA Silver Adventure Large Pack 21"
Clubs

I live in Southern Maine and going down to Chelsea SC for my 1st service on a Friday morning was not fun last year. Took a little over 2hrs to get there. Used mobile service for my recall and tire rotation/recall thereafter. Hoping not to have to go there if I can avoid it (location is not ideal for me). the SC folks were very nice.
Sponsored