Sponsored

shamoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 GT3, Tesla Model S LR
Occupation
Cybersecurity
I don't want to diminish anyone's excitement, but that road doesn't look too difficult to manage if you have any good vehicle with snow tires.

Lots of folks don't realize how good a set of dedicated winter tires are vs. all seasons or summer performance tires. I have a FWD Honda Accord with snow tires and I can easily go through deep snow and around other 4x4s and AWD SUVs who are stuck.

Now imagine having good tires on a 4 motor Rivian truck. Will be quite amazing and I'm eager to see one power through 2-4 feet of snow. :p

r1t_kev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Crosstrek
I would expect the R1T to handle this without a sweat, given it's weight and 4 corner power. 9" of fresh snow at 10k feet isn't nothing, but it sure looked it in the video.

sierraskier

First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Earthroamer, Rivian R1T x 2, KTM 300 XCW
Pfffftt..... 9" of tracked Colorado champagne powder? Let's see what it does in 2 feet of untracked sierra cement at 10% grade.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

There's nothing in that video an AWD Tesla w winter tires wouldn't easily handle. This "the Rivian will do things no other car can do!!" hype is very Tesla esque.
The Rivian can easily outperform a Tesla

Kidentist

First Name
Carlitos way
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q7,A3, Macan GTS
Occupation
Mouth Janitor
I did have the opportunity to see an RT1 heading west on I-90 about 10 miles east of Snoqualmie Summit. It was December 31st and First time I saw the truck, it was white and definitely a "looker". Weather was not too bad, just light snow, road was wet and clean. For these reasons I was a bit surprised how slow it was going, I mean SLOW (Hope I am not offending anyone BTW). That same day I ran into another RT1 (also white) heading south on I-5 (close to Tacoma). This lady was hauling @ss so I was not able to catch her. Still considering the RS1.......decisions, decisions.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
I guess that was someone's idea of adventurous snow driving performance? 8 or 9 inches of rutted powder? Sorry, but that was completely underwhelming. I've driven FWD rental cars in snow conditions much worse than that with no problems.

I'm waiting to test it in 24" - 30"of wet, dense Nor'easter drifts with an ice crust on top.

Reactions: Rad

lostpacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crosstrek, R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
I'm waiting for a video of an R1T facing snow trained in guerilla warfare that will ambush your vehicle with a minigun that fires icicles

Then we'll really see what that yeti is made of.

Sponsored

AdamsFan1983

First Name
Silence Dogood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE in GW
Occupation
Public Relations
I'm waiting for a video of an R1T facing snow trained in guerilla warfare that will ambush your vehicle with a minigun that fires icicles

Then we'll really see what that yeti is made of.
Rivian R1T R1S Videos: Rivian Driving in Snow - Night & Daytime 1

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIVIAN R1S, Tesla S, MAzda CX-30, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Software Engineering Director
My only problem with Tesla in the snow with winter tires is that the fucking bumper falls off... and Tesla does not fix that unless you go through your insurance. So I think, I just think, not positive though, that a high riding truck might do a bit better.

However, I think the video was really about EV vs ICE. The tacoma is lighter, he probably did not have dedicated winter tires on it, and at those altitudes the engine will starve a bit from the oxygen. I do not think it was meant to be "The R1T is the only truck than can do this" type video.

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
Now imagine having good tires on a 4 motor Rivian truck. Will be quite amazing and I'm eager to see one power through 2-4 feet of snow. :p
Are those Pirrellis that bad that I keep hearing mentioned "Good tires". I know they're expensive, but I've used various sized Pirellis in my vehicle usage history and they've never failed to deliver.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

I did have the opportunity to see an RT1 heading west on I-90 about 10 miles east of Snoqualmie Summit. It was December 31st and First time I saw the truck, it was white and definitely a "looker". Weather was not too bad, just light snow, road was wet and clean. For these reasons I was a bit surprised how slow it was going, I mean SLOW (Hope I am not offending anyone BTW). That same day I ran into another RT1 (also white) heading south on I-5 (close to Tacoma). This lady was hauling @ss so I was not able to catch her. Still considering the RS1.......decisions, decisions.
Maybe it was the same R1T on it's maiden voyage and it took a while for the driver to find the accelerator. "Oh!...It's THAT one! Now I understand the hype!"

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
You can tell which ones are driven by the midwestern employees and which are driven by coastal ones who’ve barely seen snow quite readily apparently
Sponsored