Sponsored

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

You knew how it was going to go when the Rivian employee was like "no, it's fine" to the guy with the camera after he was told about the YouTube channel.

Dude knew he was about to destroy that climb and wanted it documented.

Sponsored

Forager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Clubs

To be fair, there are plenty of overlanding routes out there that require fuel drops AND jerry cans. Until similar range extenders exist for EVs, there will be some routes that will be inaccessible unless the driver is ok using solar panels to gain 30miles range per day. Those routes are certainly what the narrator has in mind.

Me, personally? 300 miles is fine.

Bumble1978

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Nissan Leaf, 2009 Toyota Prius
Occupation
IT Manager
To be fair, there are plenty of overlanding routes out there that require fuel drops AND jerry cans. Until similar range extenders exist for EVs, there will be some routes that will be inaccessible unless the driver is ok using solar panels to gain 30miles range per day. Those routes are certainly what the narrator has in mind.

Me, personally? 300 miles is fine.
Guessing/Hoping we'll have remote stations like those from Renewable Innovations at the Rebelle Rally. Or maybe that's where the Rivian Hubs, Outposts, Preserves, etc come into play?!?

https://www.renewable-innovations.com/rebellerally2021ev

✌❤⚡??

guernsej

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Raptor; 2015 X5
Pretty satisfying to see the R1T make it so easy, but annoying they went up Diablo Drop Off just to make a YouTube video.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Pretty satisfying to see the R1T make it so easy, but annoying they went up Diablo Drop Off just to make a YouTube video.
I know nothing about it. Why is that annoying?

Forager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Clubs

Guessing/Hoping we'll have remote stations like those from Renewable Innovations at the Rebelle Rally. Or maybe that's where the Rivian Hubs, Outposts, Preserves, etc come into play?!?

https://www.renewable-innovations.com/rebellerally2021ev

✌❤⚡??
It’s going to be very interesting to see how infrastructure develops for these “problems.” A key part will definitely be range extenders, isolated hubs using solar or wind and maybe batteries, and who knows what else!

Someday I’d like to do things like the Mojave Trail, Canning Stock Route, Trans-Canada Highway, and Trans-Alaska Highway. Just not feasible now, but maybe in 10 years when I have the time available to live so freely it will exist! Maybe the highways are covered already, I haven’t looked closely at it yet, just on my bucket list.

Sponsored

Rivian_Hugh_III

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Infiniti EX35
It’s going to be very interesting to see how infrastructure develops for these “problems.” A key part will definitely be range extenders, isolated hubs using solar or wind and maybe batteries, and who knows what else!

Someday I’d like to do things like the Mojave Trail, Canning Stock Route, Trans-Canada Highway, and Trans-Alaska Highway. Just not feasible now, but maybe in 10 years when I have the time available to live so freely it will exist! Maybe the highways are covered already, I haven’t looked closely at it yet, just on my bucket list.
It would be cool to be able to install an extended battery in the gear tunnel some day. I wonder what it would take to attach it to the main electrical system of the Rivian? I could also imagine a battery pack that could be backpacked into the bed of the truck. — I’m talking 10+ years down the line.

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

Did the guy say he's waiting for a 1500-mile range EV? Well, ok then.
Yea that was an extremely painful section to listen to
?‍♂

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Yea that was an extremely painful section to listen to
?‍♂
My question is, what ICE vehicle is he looking at to get 1,500 miles out of, or is he rolling out with 100 gallons of fuel on him every time he overlands? Assuming a 20g tank, that's 16 5 gallon Jerry cans. Where would you even store that much gas?

Just gonna throw this out here: much easier to install an EV charger in a remote area with no infrastructure than a gas pump.

guernsej

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Raptor; 2015 X5
I know nothing about it. Why is that annoying?
It's a high traffic trail that cuts up from S2 to Fish Creek Wash/highway 78 in Anza Borrego and it's specifically designated down only to prevent jackasses like the land cruiser from gouging out huge ruts and making it dangerous for less built vehicles with inexperienced drivers. The loose terrain erodes easily causing people taking shitty lines to get stuck and/or slide off the trail which a) sucks for them and b) causes a bottleneck for everyone else needing to get by.

My first time through I had to help rescue a taco that got stuck sideways on a 30 slope trying to avoid the ruts. Dude almost rolled his brand new truck.

guernsej

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Raptor; 2015 X5
Lol I found an old picture, it was a 4runner and we had to strap his roof rack to his buddies taco to keep him upright while his other buddy pulled him out.
Rivian R1T R1S Video: Rivian R1T vs. Land Cruiser 100 -- UP THE DIABLO DROP-OFF 2017-09-23 - Camping and Offroading in Anza Borrego Desert 18.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited: