First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Touareg TDI, Honda Fit
Occupation
Engineer
It would be cool to be able to install an extended battery in the gear tunnel some day. I wonder what it would take to attach it to the main electrical system of the Rivian? I could also imagine a battery pack that could be backpacked into the bed of the truck. ā€” Iā€™m talking 10+ years down the line.
My mileage extension fantasy would be integrated solar and batteries in an Airstream/Rivian coordinated design! Maybe make up for the lost range that results from towing.

Trekkie

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ID.4, 2022 Polestar 2, 2023.5 Defender 110
Occupation
IT Nerd
i asked about where the crazy 1500 range comes from and the two responses I got, first from the video poster was 'solid state batteries will be in cars next year' and that Apterra will release a lift kit for their 1000 mile car.

o_O

Ok, i'm out.

ADVNOW

First Name
Dom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Wrangler JK, JL 4XE
Occupation
Manufacturing
Clubs

I just did that trail last Saturday. Had no Idea it was one way no signs stating as such and nobody said anything, we made it to the top with ease and a large crowd watching us. we had 2 jeep wranglers and one gladiator in our group they seemed impressed that we all made it we told them we where looking for Diablo drop off and they told us we just came up it. We didn't have lockers on our rigs, didn't seem to be worth the hype but the view was amazing from the top you can see across the desert from there. If the Rivian didn't make it up I would have been very surprised. I wonder how far they went and where they charged at, I didn't notice any charging stations around the towns out there.

Reactions: Rad

MW_Riley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1974 Land Cruiser 2000 Land Cruiser 2009 Ducati Sport Classic 1000S 2011Ducati StreetfighterS
Iā€™m just happy I didnā€™t waste 10 minutes watching this. Oh wait

Sponsored

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

To be fair, there are plenty of overlanding routes out there that require fuel drops AND jerry cans. Until similar range extenders exist for EVs, there will be some routes that will be inaccessible unless the driver is ok using solar panels to gain 30miles range per day. Those routes are certainly what the narrator has in mind.

Me, personally? 300 miles is fine.
EVs should also be *FAR* more efficient overloading, since speeds will be low, where ICE are *least* efficient. As evidenced by the Trans America Trail drive.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
EVs should also be *FAR* more efficient overloading, since speeds will be low, where ICE are *least* efficient. As evidenced by the Trans America Trail drive.
Yep. No wasted energy from idling an engine. "Gained" energy from regenerative braking. No efficiency losses from an alternator creating electricity to power stuff like HVAC or refrigeration. Etc. Etc.

There will be big challenges for extreme overlanding trips, but there are with ICE vehicles. The difference is that overlanders are used to having to address the ICE challenges and the EV challenges seem insurmountable because nobody has actually done it and set up the same kinds of processes for EVs.

EDIT: FWIW, I am not really interested in overlanding at all, but I am fascinated by the challenges it presents for EVs.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
I've done a little bit of dirt off roading like the video, and I've done alot of similar off road driving in deep snow on frozen, steep slopes. HOW you drive is equally or more important than the vehicle's technical capabilities. My impression is that the driver of the Land Rover was't very experienced. The gas pedal is not an on/off switch, lol.
Sponsored