Administrator

Administrator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian
Clubs

Video Description:

Our full-scale wind tunnel test confirmed something we already knew — if you want to go fast, go alone, if you want to go far, go together. One of the reasons the R1T is better in aerodynamics than any other pickup truck in the world? Years of collaboration between our aerodynamicists, designers, engineers and sculptors to give you the greatest range possible.

Sponsored

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
I was just about to post this. ;) Great example of the level of detail and testing they're doing.

{pondering} Even though both vehicles are being developed virtually at the same time, Rivian's primary focus is on the R1T and as such tend to not mention the R1S in their updates. So it makes me wonder if they're applying the same amount of effort to testing to the R1S. In this case I "suspect" they are since the R1S has a slightly longer range (albeit 20kg lighter) than the R1T, but it would nice not to have to "assume."

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey
I don't remember which, but one of the car magazines attributed the extra 10 miles of R1S range to slightly better aerodynamics than the R1T. They did not give the source for that assertion, though. I also read that the tonneau cover over the cargo bed is part of airflow management, so I assume driving with the bed open will erode the range a bit.

I see that in the video they were measuring airflow with the headlights represented as flat surfaces instead of the recessed configuration on the actual vehicle. I could not tell whether they were testing with an open or closed cargo bed. Very small design details can make very large differences in airflow, so I assume the video was representing rough aerodynamic modeling instead of final tweaking.

Aurum

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Dual Motor Max Pack
Yes! I want to know more about the vehicles. I have never gone skiing and probably never will...

Sponsored

CappyJax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
My internet is too slow to watch the video. Did they mention the coefficient of drag? I came up with .38 working backwards.

Florida Boy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus RX300h, Toyota Tacoma
I don't remember which, but one of the car magazines attributed the extra 10 miles of R1S range to slightly better aerodynamics than the R1T. They did not give the source for that assertion, though. I also read that the tonneau cover over the cargo bed is part of airflow management, so I assume driving with the bed open will erode the range a bit.

I see that in the video they were measuring airflow with the headlights represented as flat surfaces instead of the recessed configuration on the actual vehicle. I could not tell whether they were testing with an open or closed cargo bed. Very small design details can make very large differences in airflow, so I assume the video was representing rough aerodynamic modeling instead of final tweaking.
That's an interesting observation. I didn't notice it specifically and sort of assumed they'd have some clear cover over the stadium lights so that they weren't actually recessed. I'll have to go back over the video footage and see if I can spot it.

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Your post got me wondering if there is, in fact, a plastic cover over the recesses of the front headlights that I had not noticed in photographs. I went back to look at a lot of images, and I have to admit it's pretty hard in most to tell one way or the other. However, in this photo there is an angular reflection over the horizontal line of lights in the stadium unit that looks as if the plastic cover is at the front of the lens rather than recessed over the inner bulbs. I think your assumption might be right.

Rivian R1T R1S Video: Rivian R1T is more aerodynamic than any other pickup truck in the world Screen Shot 2019-04-12 at 2.19.19 PM

Aurum

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Dual Motor Max Pack
@Hmp10 Wow, hadn't thought about this at all! I just assumed it was recessed. I think I found the video where you posted the screenshot from (Check out timestamp 1:27). I think you're right that there is a cover making the stadium lights flush. It would make a lot of sense in order to avoid funneling debris directly into the lights and avoiding hard to clean areas.

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It's interesting that the lens cover -- if it is there -- is so hard to spot in most photographs. You see reflections off all the surrounding surfaces but almost never see reflections off the lens cover. But I agree a lens cover would make a lot of sense . . . and I think it would make the oddest visual feature of the Rivian a bit less "out there" when seen in actuality . . . not to mention managing airflow more efficiently.

Sponsored

CappyJax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
On the prototype there were no covers. And that appears to be the area where the sensors are stored and I don't think they could have a cover. At least some of them.

CappyJax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
With more information, I was able to work backwards to a coefficient of drag of around .36. I still don't know if the height figure is with the the suspension at full up or full down. The .36 is at the lowest travel. If it is at highest travel, then it is 0.4. Neither is terribly impressive. But they claim it will be the most aerodynamic truck, and these numbers are higher than other pickups. However, I assume 180kwhs will give the full 400 miles range. If you actually get 400 miles from less than 180kwhs then the coefficient of drag will be lower. It will also be lower if they are using a speed higher than 60 mph for their range calculations, or if the tires have a higher rolling resistance.

Rivian R1T R1S Video: Rivian R1T is more aerodynamic than any other pickup truck in the world Screen Shot 2019-04-12 at 3.10.13 PM

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Scaringe did say in the roll-out at Los Angeles that the vehicles being shown to the public represented actual production versions, so if they had no flush lens covers at the shows, they apparently won't have them. But then that brings us back to why they did not have the light recesses in the clay model they were airflow testing, as they seemed to have duplicated the lower air intakes accurately on the clay model. Those recesses would likely create turbulence that would have a significant effect on airflow.

I found this photo which does look as if there is no flush lens cover:

Rivian R1T R1S Video: Rivian R1T is more aerodynamic than any other pickup truck in the world Screen Shot 2019-04-12 at 6.45.33 PM

However, this leaves me wondering what will happen when driving in snow.

CappyJax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
The area may not make enough of a difference to greatly effect the drag coefficient. On aircraft, we have installed camera systems that weren't very aerodynamic, but they were small, so they didn't impact the cruise speed to any noticeable extent.

Edax Rerum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Your post got me wondering if there is, in fact, a plastic cover over the recesses of the front headlights that I had not noticed in photographs. I went back to look at a lot of images, and I have to admit it's pretty hard in most to tell one way or the other. However, in this photo there is an angular reflection over the horizontal line of lights in the stadium unit that looks as if the plastic cover is at the front of the lens rather than recessed over the inner bulbs. I think your assumption might be right.

Screen Shot 2019-04-12 at 2.19.19 PM.png
I found another video that seems to indicate a cover for the stadium lights. I'm sure most (all?) of the members of this forum have seen it, but perhaps didn't notice because we're accustomed to seeing the reflection (and it's an older video, being made at the L.A. release). Starting at about 1:50, when he's crouching in front of the R1T and gesturing with his hand, there seems to be clear reflection of his hand in the headlight assembly.
Sponsored