First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Jeep JkU
Occupation
Theater arts
Do we think that is what the final Compass Yellow will look like, or will it change when it dries or when they clear coat it or whatever?
Sponsored

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

Do we think that is what the final Compass Yellow will look like, or will it change when it dries or when they clear coat it or whatever?
Not even close. Most, if not all colors will change in different lighting conditions...with the exception of Glacier White and Midnight Black(considering black is the absence of color...sorry, had to)

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Not even close. Most, if not all colors will change in different lighting conditions...with the exception of Glacier White and Midnight Black(considering black is the absence of color...sorry, had to)
Black and White can look different depending on what metallic or pearlescent additives are in the paint. We know Glacier White is non-metallic, but Midnight Black should be metallic and it's still unknown what the precise sheen will look like.

Bumble1978

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Nissan Leaf, 2009 Toyota Prius
Occupation
IT Manager
In one word - viscosity. Dip tanks can be used for low viscosity "liquids" such as corrosion coating. These coatings electrochemically bind to the metal ensuring 100% coverage even with a thin, runny liquid. Since it is thin viscosity, excess liquid easily runs off, no runs or drop blobs, it does not clog small holes, etc. The metal car frame and the liquid have electrical charges applied to them causing the coating to bond to the metal. This BMW video shows the process, commonly called ECoat.

Paint has a thicker viscosity due to the large amount color pigments in the paint. If you tried to dip color finish paints, you would have runs, drips, blobs because the paint is thicker viscosity. Also, the previous corrosion prevention ECoat layer acts as an insulator, so the color and clear coats can't effectively be applied as a thin viscosity dipped ECoat.
Rivian R1T R1S Video: Rivian in paint shop - posted by RJ Scaringe ? science

Sponsored

OP
OP

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
I know many on here don't appreciate your straight-forwarded approach, but I think time may prove and is proving you right. I fully appreciate building vehicles is a very difficult task, but the severe lack or just plain false communications is detrimental to Rivian building a strong & trusted Brand. Also, it may be just hidden from everyone, but Rivian seems to have zero sense of urgency. It may be there, but I have not seen it.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
You were half right.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
ITT: buncha people who don’t know that manufacturing lives and dies by Deming’s principles

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
Careful there PeeShooter, you might pull a muscle patting yourself on the back so aggressively.

Sponsored

OP
OP

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
Rivian vs Tesla...With the latest delay from Rivian, this is what I'm hoping to see maybe early next year. Munro and Associates tearing down both the R1T vs CyberTruck (Sandy has orders for both). If Rivian is as old school designed as the Ford Mach-E, I'll be buying the CyberTruck.

jimrichard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Toyota Tundra, 2017 Infiniti Q50
Occupation
Self
Wow the robotic paint sprayers are incredible if a little creepy. Especially when they opened the car doors. Too fast to see how it actually happened. Hope they where respirators or there could be a robotic class action suit down the line.

PAFDenver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Baja
Occupation
retired
Rivian vs Tesla...With the latest delay from Rivian, this is what I'm hoping to see maybe early next year. Munro and Associates tearing down both the R1T vs CyberTruck (Sandy has orders for both). If Rivian is as old school designed as the Ford Mach-E, I'll be buying the CyberTruck.

100% agree. I have been watching his teardowns on the MachE and ID.4 and now consider a Sandy Munro a requirement before I finalize my order. I think I am far enough down the line that it won't affect my delivery time, but I think I would slip my order in order to get Sandy's thoughts. I hope he is an LE order holder so he can get his nice & early (relatively speaking...)
Sponsored