BigE

First Name
Eric
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicles
Acura MDX, Honda S2000, Tesla Model Y
Rivian being painted Compass Yellow in the paint shop.

Advertisement

Last edited by a moderator:

Kmann1994

First Name
Kevan
Reaction score
First Name
Kevan
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Head of Product
Interesting detail I noticed: the gear tunnel doors seem to be (temporarily) mounted to the bed rails so that the paint robots have easy access to them. That’s a cool solution to that. Once the truck gets to general assembly, I’m sure workers just remove them and attach them to the actual gear tunnel.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Reaction score
First Name
Gil
Vehicles
Chevy Avalanche, BMW X3 28d, BMW 330cic
Occupation
Engineer
Interesting detail I noticed: the gear tunnel doors seem to be (temporarily) mounted to the bed rails so that the paint robots have easy access to them. That’s a cool solution to that. Once the truck gets to general assembly, I’m sure workers just remove them and attach them to the actual gear tunnel.
I've seen similar tricks on other car paint lines, such as BMW putting the gas cover door in the window.

1626233766317.png

Bumble1978

First Name
Ryan
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicles
2011 Nissan Leaf, 2009 Toyota Prius
Occupation
IT Manager
Rivian being painted Compass Yellow in the paint shop.

And here I thought they just dipped everything from Primer to Clear coat?!? So the Dip Tanks are only for the Primer process?!? Lame. 🤷🏼🤦‍♂️

PastyPilgrim

Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
That might be a good sign for the 3 Compass Yellow pre-orders! They'll get those run through all at once to expedite production.;)
That's me!

I have two theories as to how yellow may actually get me an early delivery (as non-LE):
  1. The scarcity of yellow orders may mean that Rivian might do yellow early-ish just to bang them out rather than get stuck on a common color for months of production.
  2. The LE preorders of yellow may be so small that when Rivian retools for yellow, it may be worthwhile to do some/all of the non-LE yellow preorders at the same time.
C'mon RJ, while you're doing those 3 yellow LEs, what's one extra yellow non-LE :please:

boneil1

First Name
Brian
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicles
Ram 1500
Does this mean some deliveries are just days away? I can't imagine it taking more than a couple days to complete a vehicle on an assembly line, but I wouldn't know.

OP
OP
B

BigE

First Name
Eric
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicles
Acura MDX, Honda S2000, Tesla Model Y
And here I thought they just dipped everything from Primer to Clear coat?!? So the Dip Tanks are only for the Primer process?!? Lame. 🤷🏼🤦‍♂️
Dip tanks are only used to clean and e-coat the body of the truck/car. Each coat after that is sprayed.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Reaction score
First Name
Gil
Vehicles
Chevy Avalanche, BMW X3 28d, BMW 330cic
Occupation
Engineer
Lame comment, lol. Quality automotive color/finish paints are sprayed, not dipped.

opnwide

First Name
Brian
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicles
Range Rover Sport
If the yellow paint on the brake calipers matched the Compass Yellow body color, you would have a winner there, but from what I can tell from the horrible configurator, one is French’s Mustard and the other one Beer Mustard—it’s not a good combo.

Advertisement

Advertisement