Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
This test means nothing without knowing the speed they were going.
This is feel good video... they weren't asking you to validate their testing.
Sponsored

CappyJax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
I believe the end of summer estimate was made prior to covid. More recently they have simply been stating that it would be later this year.
It doesn't matter, because they didn't revise that. If when they realize they couldn't meet that deadline, they needed to revise it and let people know. With all the lies from Nikola and other start-ups, any lack of transparency makes a company such as their look very very bad.

discsinthesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Element
It doesn't matter, because they didn't revise that. If when they realize they couldn't meet that deadline, they needed to revise it and let people know. With all the lies from Nikola and other start-ups, any lack of transparency makes a company such as their look very very bad.
Sure everyone wants more transparency, but equating a delayed configurator to what's happening with Nikola seems hyperbolic.

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2004 V70R, 2001 VehiCROSS, 2005 Forester
Occupation
Student
Don’t get me wrong, I still have full faith in Rivian to produce their vehicles. But the configurator has been delayed what, two/three times now? First it was end of 2019, then it was Q2 of 2020, then it was “Late Summer,” and now it’s just a vague “Later This Year”

TBH, I find it *slightly* concerning that we’re so close to production and they still seem incapable of producing a simple configurator, especially given the release of Lucid’s fairly impressive one last week. Heck, on the day the Bronco launched, you could see all the trim levels and even paint the damn thing.

Maybe it’s just quarantine boredom and R1S madness getting to me and whatnot, but it just seems kinda dumb that they haven’t managed to get this basic feature out yet

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
because they didn't revise that.
I don't recall ever seeing any mention of the configurator on their web site. They've always addressed through social media and private correspondence and the configurator timeline has clearly been shifting based on those discussions. How exactly would you have liked that communicated?

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
TBH, I find it *slightly* concerning that we’re so close to production and they still seem incapable of producing a simple configurator, especially given the release of Lucid’s fairly impressive one last week.
Given all the crap flying about the changing date of the configurator launch, I can only imagine the backlash if some detail of the vehicle changed after appearing in the configurator. It's no wonder they won't release it until they are good and ready....

CappyJax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
I don't recall ever seeing any mention of the configurator on their web site. They've always addressed through social media and private correspondence and the configurator timeline has clearly been shifting based on those discussions. How exactly would you have liked that communicated?
The how doesn't matter, they should be far more transparent in communicate it in a manner that everyone can see and reference it.

discsinthesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Element
Why? We know about as much about Rivian as we do Nikola.
Because Nikola engaged in willful deception to secure funding, and also happens to be publicly traded? Basically, Nikola's ethics have been called into question with some things that have come to light recently. Whereas, Rivian is maybe struggling with planning and communication. Those are equally bad in your mind?

Regarding what we know about each, they don't seem to be in the same ball park. We do have a decent idea about specs for the Rivian, what exactly do we know about the Badger? If you're so concerned about successful delivery there seems to be an obvious solution, don't give them money until you are confident in their ability to deliver a good product. I know I'm in the minority here, but I'm opting to wait until the configurator details come out before I put in any pre-order money. If that means I'm waiting longer for my vehicle, so be it.

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2004 V70R, 2001 VehiCROSS, 2005 Forester
Occupation
Student
I mean personally, I would rather have the configurator out now with a disclaimer saying “options subject to future changes” rather than this constant string of missed (and seemingly self imposed) deadlines.

I think the “crap flying” about the perpetually delayed configurator is less about the actual configurator and more about the fact that, at just 8 months from the start of deliveries, we still don’t know basic info like trim levels, pricing, options or even just what colors will be available. And all of this is supposedly gonna be revealed int be configurator, thus, configurator anxiety

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
The how doesn't matter, they should be far more transparent in communicate it in a manner that everyone can see and reference it.
Do you not have any access to Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, etc? No matter how they communicate it, someone will always miss the memo.

CappyJax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
Because Nikola engaged in willful deception to secure funding, and also happens to be publicly traded? Basically, Nikola's ethics have been called into question with some things that have come to light recently. Whereas, Rivian is maybe struggling with planning and communication. Those are equally bad in your mind?

Regarding what we know about each, they don't seem to be in the same ball park. We do have a decent idea about specs for the Rivian, what exactly do we know about the Badger? If you're so concerned about successful delivery there seems to be an obvious solution, don't give them money until you are confident in their ability to deliver a good product. I know I'm in the minority here, but I'm opting to wait until the configurator details come out before I put in any pre-order money. If that means I'm waiting longer for my vehicle, so be it.
We don't know if Rivian is only just struggling with planning and communications, now do we? And the comparison is Nikola's failure to meet its own deadlines and Rivian's failure to meet its own deadlines.

trickflow

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 performance, Toyota 4runner
Why is having the configurator now such a big deal? I understand I would like to see trims and pricing, but we are talking about the first R1S being delivered in Summer of next year. Even if they put up the config 3 months ahead of that you can still make whatever choice you want then. We already know that pricing for the R1T started at about $70k for a base, which was later revised to a nicely equipped one.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I get their emails.
They only seem to talk about the configurator when asked (or as the answer to any number of other questions). Since they have made no "formal" timing announcement there is thus nothing to formally revise and the reason you have received no unsolicited email update about the configurator.
Sponsored