First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
440V, not miles.
Really?
You think their battery voltage will be more than 400 (but not the 800 - 900V required for the 300 kW charging they have stated as the max)?
Sponsored

CappyJax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
Really?
You think their battery voltage will be more than 400 (but not the 800 - 900V required for the 300 kW charging they have stated as the max)?
It says 440V in the subtitles. Also, they filed a patent showing the use of a 450V battery that could be charged at 900V. It is really simple. You just have two 450V packs in parallel to operate the vehicle, then switch them to series for charging. It wouldn't be 440 miles while towing. We know that for sure.

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
It says 440V in the subtitles. Also, they filed a patent showing the use of a 450V battery that could be charged at 900V. It is really simple. You just have two 450V packs in parallel to operate the vehicle, then switch them to series for charging. It wouldn't be 440 miles while towing. We know that for sure.
Maybe we'll have 800 miles range one can only dream lol.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
A) My f-150 loses more than 50% range towing a similarly shaped, lower weight trailer
B) Did they tow the R1T to the desert inside the trailer being pulled by a RAM? If so, that's lame. Should've towed that white trailer all the way there. At least do a better job of hiding it in the video
C) Very little specs in the video. What's the grade? What's the speed?
Due to lack of charging stations, they would not have the range to do that. This is a remote location.

EMcWhirter

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvette GS, GMC Yukon, GMC Sierra, Tesla Model X
I found this quote from the blog post informative:

"We generally see about a 50% reduction in range when towing at full capacity."

At full capacity, and with a box test trailer, that's pretty reasonable. I see about the same with my Model X and 4500 lbs but with a narrower, radius-edged Airstream.
I just towed a couple of jet skis with mine for the first time, and saw about a 40% reduction in range.
I was surprised that the vehicle was impacted so much by such a relatively light load.

Sponsored

CappyJax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
I just towed a couple of jet skis with mine for the first time, and saw about a 40% reduction in range.
I was surprised that the vehicle was impacted so much by such a relatively light load.
The weight has the smallest impact. The drag is huge. How fast were you going?

ohmman

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Model X LR, 2014 Model S P85
70-75 on the highway
55-65 on state roads
There's your answer, then. When towing with my X, I don't exceed 60 on the highway or my consumption skyrockets. Remember that air resistance increases at the square of speed. It's a trade-off between range and time on the road. Even 5 mph makes a big difference.

trickflow

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 performance, Toyota 4runner
The said in a tweet that 11k pounds will reduce range by about 50%:

CappyJax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
The said in a tweet that 11k pounds will reduce range by about 50%:
That doesn't mean much. The rolling resistance is the smallest impact on range. An 11,000 low profile trailer will have considerably less impact on range as a travel trainer with solar panels and air conditioners on the roof.

Sponsored

jimrichard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Toyota Tundra, 2017 Infiniti Q50
Occupation
Self
Well Rivian really knows how to put out the PR videos to keep us interested. It just feels a little scary to see them doing this testing now when production is so close. I would have hoped they did this and most other tests long ago on the prototypes. Hopefully they did and this is just an update.

CappyJax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
I am really losing faith in Rivian. They are making promises and not keeping them. Tomorrow is the last day of summer, and still no configurator.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Well Rivian really knows how to put out the PR videos to keep us interested. It just feels a little scary to see them doing this testing now when production is so close. I would have hoped they did this and most other tests long ago on the prototypes. Hopefully they did and this is just an update.
There is nothing abnormal about their development timeline. The difference is you're getting a peek at what goes on behind the scenes that you aren't used to getting from Ford, GM or Dodge.

BillArnett

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T; Tesla Model 3 (Cybertruck on order)
Occupation
Retired
This test means nothing without knowing the speed they were going.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I am really losing faith in Rivian. They are making promises and not keeping them. Tomorrow is the last day of summer, and still no configurator.
I believe the end of summer estimate was made prior to covid. More recently they have simply been stating that it would be later this year.
Sponsored